The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 05:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Clark Kellogg for knowing the rule regarding what constitutes a backcourt violation for a dribbler near the end of the Creighton/Alabama game.
Are you talking about the no-call where the announcer proceeded to explain the irrelevant 3 points rule?
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you talking about the no-call where the announcer proceeded to explain the irrelevant 3 points rule?
It wasn't irrelevant. He was reacting to the noise the crowd was making in the arena. For us it was irrelevant because we know the rule. For most people watching the game it was relevant because they were probably thinking "hey, that was a backcourt violation."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It wasn't irrelevant. He was reacting to the noise the crowd was making in the arena. For us it was irrelevant because we know the rule. For most people watching the game it was relevant because they were probably thinking "hey, that was a backcourt violation."
I believe Snaq means that since the player wasn't dribbling (if I remember correctly), then the 3 points rule doesn't apply.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I believe Snaq means that since the player wasn't dribbling (if I remember correctly), then the 3 points rule doesn't apply.
As they say "tape don't lie." I thought he had another dribble as he crossed the division line. Turns out he was ending his dribble.

I was also planning the mention the travel by the Alabama post player but that's another rant for another time.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 07:37pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 08:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's was close enough for this situation.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 10:22pm
Back from the DL

Clark Kellogg has become my favorite analyst, period. While most are sloppy with rules knowledge, he is always sharp.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:40pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Game Over

Charles Barkley's rant on Friday night takes the cake. I can't imagine any other talking head coming close to his idiotic comments.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

just from a fans standpoint. I constantly see on here how coach's, players, analysts are always wrong about rules...of course, thats why your getting PAID to be there. Start telling people the rules then they will know.

Like the free throw violation. I havent seen it called all year long, even though its the correct call. So naturally after it happens, i assume there was some meeting to focus on it, and its called again today. When generally I would think watching travels, holds, etc would be more of a focus. But the point is, dont you generally step when games are physical and say something like "watch the hands"....why not do it on the free throw, you should explain to them, because you shouldnt want them to committ the violation...afterall they are all so uneducated about it. If you dont like people infering differently TELL THEM
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
just from a fans standpoint. I constantly see on here how coach's, players, analysts are always wrong about rules...of course, thats why your getting PAID to be there. Start telling people the rules then they will know.

Like the free throw violation. I havent seen it called all year long, even though its the correct call. So naturally after it happens, i assume there was some meeting to focus on it, and its called again today. When generally I would think watching travels, holds, etc would be more of a focus. But the point is, dont you generally step when games are physical and say something like "watch the hands"....why not do it on the free throw, you should explain to them, because you shouldnt want them to committ the violation...afterall they are all so uneducated about it. If you dont like people infering differently TELL THEM
Oh boy...first fanboy of the Tournament.

Coaches are paid to coach. Part of that is knowing the rules and coaching your kids.

TV talking heads are paid to announce the game. They includes understanding the game, therefore, the rules.

Officials do practice preventive officiating. Every time I step into the lane, I say, "Wait 'til it hits." Guess what? Basketball players are rocket scientists. They still violate.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 11:48pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Clark Kellogg has become my favorite analyst, period. While most are sloppy with rules knowledge, he is always sharp.
You're kidding? Right?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 05:18pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25
...afterall [sic] they are all so uneducated about it.
If a D-I college player doesn't know that rule, he has no-one to blame but himself. High school players know that rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You're kidding? Right?
Regarding Kellogg, he debunks the myths that others perpetuate.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 01:56am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Coaches and analysts get paid to be there as well. You would think that a coach would want to know the rules of the game to the benefit of himself and his team. You'd also think that an analyst would want to know the rules so that he could speak intelligently about the game being broadcast. Players aren't paid (), but it would behoove them to know the rules as well — of course, most of them (like coaches and analysts) think they know all of the rules just because they have been around the game for a long time.

We should tell these people the rules and they'll just listen, right? You've obviously never had one of these conversations. I've had plenty of instances where a coach was just adamant about his knowledge of a rule, but was dead wrong.

Bottom line: It's their responsibility to educate themselves, not mine.

Quote:
I think the referee did say something afterwards and players and coaches are always allowed to ask reasonable, respectful questions about a ruling. It's not our job to warn players about every potential infraction they might incur —*it's their job to know the rules of the game and play accordingly.

The free throw violations were clear and obvious — it doesn't take any focus to call those really. They just don't happen that often, so automatically fans/coaches/analysts/Charles Barkley think that we are wrong on the rule, wrong to call it, etc, etc. One headline over the weekend deemed the lane violation an "unusual call" ... it's not an unusual call — it's an unusual PLAY. Don't blame the ref for making the call —*blame the player for making a boneheaded play. (BTW —*the rule is the same in high school and junior high, so these players should have known about this for many, many years)
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as the analysts/broadcasters are concerned, they are briefed on rules and rule changes at the start of every season. You know how they handle that briefing? They don't pay attention, at least that's what I've been told by coordinators on both the men's and women's side. I work in TV and I've worked with some of these folks. They'd rather shoot from the hip than be correct.

I have a friend I went to grad school with who has always been grateful when I helped her with a rule situation via e-mail because she wants to be entertaining and intelligent but her ethic is the exception rather than the rule.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Like the free throw violation. I havent seen it called all year long, even though its the correct call. So naturally after it happens, i assume there was some meeting to focus on it, and its called again today.
Regarding the FT violation, you haven't seen it because most of the kids have sense enough not to do it. Remember, these are college basketball players. It's not as though they just started playing the game last month. I won't say all of the kids know the rule because they don't. I will say, though, that many of the kids are aware of it...especially the guards because they don't always line up on the lane for a FT.

Also, there wouldn't be any need to have "some meeting" to focus on it. In that situation, where a team really needs a rebound, we're going to be that much more alert to players trying to gain an advantage. Of course, given how obvious the violations were it didn't take a whole lot to see them.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

We should tell these people the rules and they'll just listen, right? You've obviously never had one of these conversations. I've had plenty of instances where a coach was just adamant about his knowledge of a rule, but was dead wrong...
Shoot, I've had conversations with fans and coaches about rules and when they realize they are wrong their response is "well I don't like that rule" or "that shouldn't be the rule" and therefore the official is still wrong.