The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Vanderbilt v. Wisconsin: RA Play

Now say you're the the C in this play..it looks like he initially wants to go blocking foul, but changes his mind to a charge. I'm assuming he saw the defender was not in the RA. Are you going to the lead in the play and giving him the additional information since it's obvious he called the defender for (incorrectly) thinking he was in the RA?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now say you're the the C in this play..it looks like he initially wants to go blocking foul, but changes his mind to a charge. I'm assuming he saw the defender was not in the RA. Are you going to the lead in the play and giving him the additional information since it's obvious he called the defender for (incorrectly) thinking he was in the RA?
I'm going to check with one of my interpreters (can't access the info on the NCAA's Arbiter site since I didn't fork over the $). I know we can do it in reverse, i.e., if a play is in my primary and I call a PC one of my partners can/should come in and tell me if the defender was in the RA.

On another note: this play is why, in another string a while ago, I said my NCAAW assignors would hit the roof on the L being the primary whistle on this play. The offensive player comes in from the C's PCA. Luckily the two of them had the same call but the L was calling a block for - as it turns out - the wrong reason.

On another, another note, I thought the play was a PC live. I think that even more watching the replay.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 08:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Since the C went 2 fists up initially it wouldn't look very credible for him to then come in and say B1 was not in the RA. If he had just went with a fist or had no whistle then I say he should come in and offer information.

And this play is why I'm not big on "selling" calls that should just be routine calls. The Lead "sold" the RA aspect of the foul but was wrong. Makes the crew look bad.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 08:55am.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Since the C went 2 fists up initially it wouldn't look very credible for him to then come in and say B1 was not in the RA. If he had just went with a fist or had no whistle then I say he should come in and offer information.

And this play is why I'm not big on "selling" calls that should just be routine calls. The Lead "sold" the RA aspect of the foul but was wrong. Makes the crew look bad.
Well, since they both had a block - which, again, I don't think was the correct call - there wouldn't have been a need for the C to give help.

Meantime, according to one of my interpreters an official can provide help if one member of the crew signals a defender was in the RA when the defender actually wasn't.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Well, since they both had a block - which, again, I don't think was the correct call - there wouldn't have been a need for the C to give help.

Meantime, according to one of my interpreters an official can provide help if one member of the crew signals a defender was in the RA when the defender actually wasn't.
That is true. That's why I made the comment about credibility. The C himself was going to a block signal. For him then to go to the Lead, who was making the same call, to say the player was not in the RA would be impossible to explain.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Watching this, I still think the RA is too small.