Peace
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What happened to the video on YouTube?

Peace
Forgot to edit the end portion...anyhow, here's the play:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

There was one like that in the K-State/ WVU game before Christmas this season. In both games, the official calling the block had two fists in the air, but didn't bring them down. In the other game, they went with just the pc.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I put this SNAFU all on the Center.

NCAA men's mechanics state in part that the L has primary on calls coming toward him. This "blarge" doesn't happen if the C adheres to proper play calling according to mechanics. If the C just holds and doesn't give a preliminary, then none of this happens.

Thanks for clipping this APG.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
There was one like that in the K-State/ WVU game before Christmas this season. In both games, the official calling the block had two fists in the air, but didn't bring them down. In the other game, they went with just the pc.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I put this SNAFU all on the Center.

NCAA men's mechanics state in part that the L has primary on calls coming toward him. This "blarge" doesn't happen if the C adheres to proper play calling according to mechanics. If the C just holds and doesn't give a preliminary, then none of this happens.

Thanks for clipping this APG.
Also, the play didn't even start in the C's PCA. I could see him putting a whistle on it as the secondary since the contact was in the middle of the lane but not coming out with a preliminary.

With the WVU/KSU game, I think the T got the call correct but at least he held back when he heard the other whistle and saw the L coming in so strong.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 06:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
14:19 left, 2nd half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Forgot to edit the end portion...anyhow, here's the play:
I have a PC here. I didn't see what B did wrong. Though I'd be a bit open to change my opinion.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I think it would be harder to avoid a blarge at the college level once the official put air in the whistle. Sure, they should be better at determining who has the call, but in high school, at least in my neck of the woods, officials nearly always come up with a fist before the primary signal on fouls. In college it seems, especially on these block/charge calls, the officials almost always go straight to the primary. This robs them of the chance to hear or see that the other guy has a call, and you get situations like this.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Did the L ever give a preliminary signal on this? I've watched it 3-4 times and every time I see only one fist in the air and then he has the basketball in one hand.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I watched the videos again. In the Tenn. video, the lead come with a fist, and then raises his other fist for just a little bit. He doesn't leave his two fists in the air like the official does in the WVU game.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
...In high school, at least in my neck of the woods, officials nearly always come up with a fist before the primary signal on fouls. In college it seems, especially on these block/charge calls, the officials almost always go straight to the primary. This robs them of the chance to hear or see that the other guy has a call, and you get situations like this.
I think you're on to something here. The more mechanically sound an official is, the better the chance he/she will avoid a blarge. I would say that in HS, more emphasis is placed on sound judgement AND sound mechanics .... whereas in college, getting the call right (aka sound judgement) is definitely more important than mechanics.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I think you're on to something here. The more mechanically sound an official is, the better the chance he/she will avoid a blarge. I would say that in HS, more emphasis is placed on sound judgement AND sound mechanics .... whereas in Mens college, getting the call right (aka sound judgement) is definitely more important than mechanics.
Emphasis added. In my brief collegiate experience(and in that of some folks whose experience extends much, much further), the powers that be in NCAA-W place a great deal of emphasis on "the system" (i.e. mechanics) as the foundation for correct officiating - if everybody works the system right, then you're in the correct position for the call, and you know whose call it is, no matter who your partners are. Correct mechanics & positioning, along with discipline, prevent this from happening.

Last edited by mtn335; Mon Mar 12, 2012 at 12:40pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

In short, calling this play a block is what is wrong with basketball today. What else is the defender supposed to do? He steps above the resitricted line, obtains LGP, and the offensive player goes right thru him. Even if he "slides" to the left, that is perfeclty legal by rule. There is nothing about the defender "being set" or "stationary."

Unbelievable.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofficial View Post
In short, calling this play a block is what is wrong with basketball today. What else is the defender supposed to do? He steps above the resitricted line, obtains LGP, and the offensive player goes right thru him. Even if he "slides" to the left, that is perfeclty legal by rule. There is nothing about the defender "being set" or "stationary."

Unbelievable.
I'll keep watching, but I've got a block on this. Yes, LGP allows the player to move sideways, but he needs to be in the path before the shooter goes airborne. In this play, he slides left, into the shooter's path, after the shooter is in the air.

edit: sorry, I was talking about the first clip, not sure which one you were talking about.
Second clip looks like a clear charge. Oddly, in both plays, the L gets it wrong.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Mar 14, 2012 at 11:05am.