The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Chicago Area Sectionals 3A and 4A

Went to two games this week while traveling on business in Chicago.

Trying to understand what it takes to officiate high level Boys V.

I saw a few things which I had questions about (with the proviso that I'm still a newer official and could not see what the refs saw):

1. Saw quite a bit of uncalled hand checking far away from the basket. I know it's a POE in Kansas this year. My question for the vets is how do you know when to call it?

2. Post play roughness. First game, I saw perhaps 5-6 instances when something should have been called. Again, how do you vets decide?

Couple of other things:
A. Gyms were as loud as any I've ever been in. Could never hear the horn.

B. Second game, one official was the spitting image of this guy.

He also had a large splint and wrap on his left arm.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I've been doing Varsity ball for a couple of years, so I may not be the veteran that you are looking for, but here goes anyway

Hand-checking is generally pregamed: I've heard some of the crew chiefs say, "we're going to call anything that is two hands automatically", or "if they have that hand on their more than a couple of seconds we're calling it".

So while it may have been viewed as hand-checking the calling official may have decided it didn't disrupt the offensive player enough to warrant a call. At this time of year, I think some officials are trying to make only the calls that are substantial and needed. A couple of "ticky-tack' calls could put a star player on the bench and cost a team a chance for a championship.

That's a philosophical argument though.

Same with rough play: I have seen and I'm sure a lot of high school officials can agree that a lot of times, the offense is initiated a lot of contact and consequently we don't penalize the defense for the physical play. So we no call it.

Of course, without seeing the games, it's hard to say. but those are my general thoughts.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Hand checking, NFHS Style

The NFHS puts this out pretty much every year so obviously they don't feel we're getting right as often as we should. If we get them early, the kids figure it out. If they don't figure it out, they sit. Most figure it out.

Quote:
A. Handchecking/Body Fouls.

1.Tactics using the hands, arms or body that permit any player (offense or defense) to "control" (hold, impede, push, divert, slow or prevent) the movement of an opposing player is a foul.
2.When an offensive player uses the hands or body to push off for position or spacing to get open or receive a pass, or to move the ball via pass or dribble, it is a foul.
3."Hooking" by an offensive player is a distinct advantage. This tactic is not worthy of a warning and should be ruled a foul without hesitation.
4.Any illegal use of hands, arms or body (offense or defense) that slows, prevents, impedes the progress or displaces an opposing player due to the contact, is a foul and must be called.
5.Regardless of where it takes place on the court, when a player continuously places a hand on the ball handler/dribbler, it is a foul.
6.When a player jabs a hand(s) or forearm on an opponent to control his or her movement or gain an advantage, it is a foul.
My main thing is keep a defender's hands off the dribbler as much as possible. Once the kids realize that's what's being called, they adjust and IMO the game is much cleaner.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 11:42am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

This is the bottom line. The officials you see on the court are mainly college officials. They are the ones chosen a high percentage of the time to officiate state tournanment games.

The work just enough game to be considered for the post season.

Last edited by truerookie; Thu Mar 08, 2012 at 01:20pm.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
The officials you see on the court are manly college officials.
That's a good thing. I'd hate for them to act feminine, unless they were women, of course.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post

I saw a few things which I had questions about (with the proviso that I'm still a newer official and could not see what the refs saw):

1. Saw quite a bit of uncalled hand checking far away from the basket. I know it's a POE in Kansas this year. My question for the vets is how do you know when to call it?

2. Post play roughness. First game, I saw perhaps 5-6 instances when something should have been called. Again, how do you vets decide?

Couple of other things:

It's called big boy basketball, especially with city teams
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Couple of other things:

Where was the game or opponents??
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you saw the Simeon v Whitney Young game on Tue. at Argo HS, then you saw 11 D1 prospects on the floor with Coach K, Thad Matta, Tom Izzo, Bruce Webber, and the Mayor of Chicago (among others) in the house.....

In that game, your not blowing the whistle unless it was a "must get" foul. Your typical "high school foul" occurred every 4-5 seconds...pass on those and get the ones that matter.

btw, your picture of the official in question was spot on....hahahaha
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
If you saw the Simeon v Whitney Young game on Tue. at Argo HS, then you saw 11 D1 prospects on the floor with Coach K, Thad Matta, Tom Izzo, Bruce Webber, and the Mayor of Chicago (among others) in the house.....

In that game, your not blowing the whistle unless it was a "must get" foul. Your typical "high school foul" occurred every 4-5 seconds...pass on those and get the ones that matter.btw, your picture of the official in question was spot on....hahahaha
I really don't think thats how NFHS wants the game officiated. When the players get to the college level, I agree this is a fine concept.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the bottom line. The officials you see on the court are mainly college officials. They are the ones chosen a high percentage of the time to officiate state tournanment games.

Not really in Illinois.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In that game, your not blowing the whistle unless it was a "must get" foul. Your typical "high school foul" occurred every 4-5 seconds...pass on those and get the ones that matter.

btw, your picture of the official in question was spot on....hahahaha
Who was it???

JM??
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the bottom line. The officials you see on the court are manly college officials. They are the ones chosen a high percentage of the time to officiate state tournanment games.

I don't think that blanket statement works in IL. Most officials that work late in the state tournament have worked enough both in the regular season and in past seasons to establish a good reputation and ranking. Also, on the flip side, as officials rise in the college ranks they are discouraged from working lower levels such as HS. There may be some officials in the state tournament that have also worked at the college level, but the state selection process and rankings do not include any mention of being able to work at higher levels.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really don't think thats how NFHS wants the game officiated. When the players get to the college level, I agree this is a fine concept.
They may not, but that's how games are officiated here, especially in the city and certain conferences.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Who was it???

JM??
11 on the floor? Whitney Young could have had eight out there and it still didn't matter
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
They may not, but that's how games are officiated here, especially in the city and certain conferences.
I'd like to think the powers that be at every level would like to see quality, meaningful whistles only. Some games they play through things that are clearly a foul in other games. Thats where our judgment comes into play.