The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball only? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89773-basketball-only.html)

BillyMac Wed Mar 07, 2012 07:10am

Take Off Your Shoes And Socks And Count ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 830364)
Give soccer a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 830369)
I don't read metric.

Metric soccer is easy. Everything is based on the number ten. Season lasts ten weeks. Field is ten meters long. Ten players per team. Ten centimeter diameter ball. Ten panels on the ball. Ten minute halves. Ten spikes on each shoe. All players are number ten. Ten fans in the bleachers. Officials get ten dollars per game.

jeschmit Wed Mar 07, 2012 09:30am

Basketball is my bread and butter, but I currently work baseball, softball and football as well.

I started IM basketball 8 years ago, HS 5 years ago, women's college 3 years ago. I started HS baseball and softball 4 years ago, but I am looking to get out of those two sports now that basketball is becoming more of a year-round sport... However, I will stick to keeping HS football (which I started last fall) since I have really enjoyed being on the football field.

mj Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26am

Started with basketball. Picked up softball and baseball because the local AD told me I come to watch every game anyway I may as well get paid. Later on picked up football when a basketball mentor of mine said they need guys for Friday nights.

Love basketball especially this time of the year. Football a solid second. Baseball and softball a distant third due to the weather in my neck of the woods.

Hugh Refner Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830396)
Metric soccer is easy. Everything is based on the number ten.

Season lasts ten weeks.
Field is ten meters long.
Ten players per team.
Ten centimeter diameter ball.
Ten panels on the ball.
Ten minute halves.
Ten spikes on each shoe.
All players are number ten.
Ten fans in the bleachers.
Officials get ten dollars per game.

Do you realize you listed ten points? BTW - are those metric dollars?

Sapper33 Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45am

Fastpitch softball is my preference. Do BB to have something to do in the winter.

zm1283 Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49am

I just finished my fifth year of basketball. This is my fourth full year of being a "real" baseball umpire. (Did some park league games for several years before that) I did softball for two seasons, but started coaching football this past fall, so I gave that up. It was worth it though since our football team won a state championship in 2011. :)

Welpe Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 830470)
I just finished my fifth year of basketball. This is my fourth full year of being a "real" baseball umpire. (Did some park league games for several years before that) I did softball for two seasons, but started coaching football this past fall, so I gave that up. It was worth it though since our football team won a state championship in 2011. :)

Ah! That explains why you give us football officials so much crap. :p And congrats on the state championship.

bainsey Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 830372)
Actually, the Laws use Imperial units, mainly yards.

Right. I'm sure there's a ton of grumbling worldwide about having to measure 9.14 meters for the center circle or 16.46 meters for the penalty area.

Then again, they already have to do it with basketball: 4.57m from free throw line to backboard, 3.05m high for the rim...

Scuba_ref Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:05pm

You can do it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 830358)
Just hoops for me, although the wife is asking if I'm going to pick up another sport. As familiar as I am with basketball rules, that's how clueless I am in other sports. That's probably why I hesitate.

I started in bball and then moved over to football. My only experience with football prior to officiating was as a fan. The football guys were very encouraging - many of them do bball also. They told me that it is far easier for a bball official to move to football than the opposite. Bball teaches you game management and decision making at high speed - which translates well to other sports.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Now while the football rule set is one of the hardest to adjudicate; the game awareness and presence that a good bball official brings to the game is very hard to learn and gives you an immediate leg up.

You could pick a sport and do well officiating -well maybe not hockey because I've heard that you actually need to be able to skate!:D<O:p</O:p

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 830372)
Actually, the Laws use Imperial units, mainly yards.

I find it hard to relate to a sport that refers to its rules as "laws". Seems quite pretentious to me.

La Rikardo Wed Mar 07, 2012 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 830529)
I find it hard to relate to a sport that refers to its rules as "laws". Seems quite pretentious to me.

Take that up with the British. I claim no responsibility. ;)

bainsey Wed Mar 07, 2012 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 830529)

Name me a sport that doesn't have strange wording somewhere within it.

Hugh Refner Wed Mar 07, 2012 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 830635)
Name me a sport that doesn't have strange wording somewhere within it.

Tug-of-war.