The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball only? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89773-basketball-only.html)

fullor30 Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 830274)
When I was in college I used to take my dates to a parking spot at the beach to referee the submarine races that the Navy held there every Friday, and Saturday, night. No pay, but it was worth the effort, if you know what I mean.

They had don't ask, don't tell back then?

Lcubed48 Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:25pm

I'm just starting to do FP softball. The training class is over, and now it's on to the scrimmages if the weather will permit. I'm looking at it as training for my retirement (next year if all goes well) job.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:47pm

Lemonade, that cool refreshing drink.

I work fb and lacrosse. I was recruited for baseball, but we'll see if I join.

JeroenB Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 830265)
What part of the Netherlands are you from? I've been over 6-7 to Apeldoorn to umpire baseball. Haven't been since 2010 and need to get back soon.

I'm from Haarlem. What tournament/game did you work in Apeldoorn?

JeroenB Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 830273)
Hey, I'm a Dutch basketball ref also, how come you don't ask me where I'm from? :D

My mother is Dutch and I was born in Amsterdam. Haven't been there though since I was stationed in Germany ('90-93). It seems baseball has gotten pretty big there in comparison to other European countries.

Yeah it is, world champs uhuh :D

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 830290)
I officiate basketball (H.S. and youth age since 1971 to the present; MTD, Sr.

Mark (love that name), I've got you slightly beat on earliest officiating date since I worked that park district kids baseball program starting in the summer of 1962 (when I was 13). However, I only did it for three summers. I remember one manager named "Tubby". He was about 20 and one of his younger brothers played on his team. One game, I had to explain the infield fly rule to him after a call and the entire time he was eating licorice and kept slobbering with it dribbling down his shirt. It kind of set the tone for my future impressions of coaches.

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:09pm

I work football and baseball. I will not work a single baseball game this year (I am debating if I will come back at all). Funny I have worked more State Finals in those two sports than I have in basketball.

Peace

truerookie Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:10pm

Basketball Only for me.

Welpe Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 830318)
I work football and baseball. I will not work a single baseball game this year (I am debating if I will come back at all). Funny I have worked more State Finals in those two sports than I have in basketball.

Peace

What drove your decision to take a year off from baseball? I'm just curious since I'm considering something similar but not with baseball.

rockyroad Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:25pm

Basketball is the only sport I officiate. I coach football and track (long jump and triple jump). Never had any desire to officiate any other sport except for wrestling, but that's at the same time as basketball, so that never happened.

BillyMac Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:46pm

So You're The Guy Who Started This Stupid Concept ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 830253)
Walked around with a bullhorn and gave a commentary to the spectators.

I didn't know that there was And One Croquet.

BillyMac Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:53pm

No Thank You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 830290)
I really wish that I had taken up umpiring baseball about 20 years sooner because I really enjoy it almost as much as I do officiating basketball.

99 degrees in the shade? Wind blown dust in your face? Sitting out thunderstorms in the dugout? Games with no clock that go on for hours, and hours? Getting sunburned in extra inning games? Coaches spitting tobacco juice on your shoes? Fans, including the cop behind the backstop, threatening to, "Kill the umpire"? Oh yeah? Sure sounds like a picnic in the park to me?

BillyMac Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:56pm

And The Winner Is ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 830293)
They had don't ask, don't tell back then?

The girls kept asking me where the submarines were, and I keep telling them that they were underwater. Some of them believed me. Those were the dates that ended well.

grunewar Tue Mar 06, 2012 06:45pm

Basketball only for me.

I average about 150 games a yr and can go almost all season....although some months are slim.

Basketball = wife happy, hubby out of house making money and doing something he likes.

More sports = wife probably NOT happy with hubby as he would be gone TOO much and not taking care of house, yard, cars, dogs, etc.

A good balance for me, and my wife, to date. Thankfully, my kids are grown.

Jeremy Hohn Tue Mar 06, 2012 07:13pm

Basketball Only. It is literally year round for me now. :o