The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Basketball only?

Just wondering, in general, what other sports are also officiated by those of us who work basketball. I know lots of you mention working other sports in your posts, but I'd be curious to know who officiates the most other sports.

Personally, I do only basketball, although when I was a teenager (about 3 or 4 centuries ago), I umpired a park district baseball league for 11 and 12 year olds back in my home town. I think I got 75 cents per game (not kidding) which was probably above minimum wage back then. Only one guy worked each game and we stood behind the pitcher.

Oh yeah, a few years ago I "refereed" a croquet match. It was a charity event and I mostly ruled on whether a ball touched another ball or not and also walked around with a bullhorn (like I needed one) and gave a commentary to the spectators. It was a real great event and raised a lot of money for the local Lions Club camp for the blind. It was staged as a proper British type event and all the participants (who were Lions Club members and senior citizens) wore white straw hats and ate cucumber sandwiches and lemonade. I was more than happy to donate my time and effort.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just wondering, in general, what other sports are also officiated by those of us who work basketball. I know lots of you mention working other sports in your posts, but I'd be curious to know who officiates the most other sports.

Personally, I do only basketball, although when I was a teenager (about 3 or 4 centuries ago), I umpired a park district baseball league for 11 and 12 year olds back in my home town. I think I got 75 cents per game (not kidding) which was probably above minimum wage back then. Only one guy worked each game and we stood behind the pitcher.

Oh yeah, a few years ago I "refereed" a croquet match. It was a charity event and I mostly ruled on whether a ball touched another ball or not and also walked around with a bullhorn (like I needed one) and gave a commentary to the spectators. It was a real great event and raised a lot of money for the local Lions Club camp for the blind. It was staged as a proper British type event and all the participants (who were Lions Club members and senior citizens) wore white straw hats and ate cucumber sandwiches and lemonade. I was more than happy to donate my time and effort.
I started umpiring when I was a teenager the same way. Behind the pitcher. I think that was about 1983, when I was 13 years old. We got $5 a game to do that.

Baseball and football for me. I used to do softball, but gave it up when I realized I really despise most everything about the game.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Started as a baseball (and occasionally softball) umpire about 6-7 years ago, but since I started basketball 3 years ago that is getting my core 'business' more and more.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
Started as a baseball (and occasionally softball) umpire about 6-7 years ago, but since I started basketball 3 years ago that is getting my core 'business' more and more.
What part of the Netherlands are you from? I've been over 6-7 to Apeldoorn to umpire baseball. Haven't been since 2010 and need to get back soon.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

I started by umpiring baseball when I was 13. I did that several years but quit during college. I picked up football after college and then basketball a few years ago.

I want to get back into baseball but can't justify working three sports so I need to figure out what I'm going to do.

I have a friend that calls football, basketball and lacrosse. Last year he also did Volleyball in the fall, called basketball for three different chapters and also did softball in addition to lacrosse in the spring. I'm not sure when he actually saw his family...
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball only. Took a hard look at doing Lacrosse, but passed. Even after three training sessions, I still felt totally clueless.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What part of the Netherlands are you from? I've been over 6-7 to Apeldoorn to umpire baseball. Haven't been since 2010 and need to get back soon.
Hey, I'm a Dutch basketball ref also, how come you don't ask me where I'm from?

My mother is Dutch and I was born in Amsterdam. Haven't been there though since I was stationed in Germany ('90-93). It seems baseball has gotten pretty big there in comparison to other European countries.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Can't I See The Submarines BillyMac ???

When I was in college I used to take my dates to a parking spot at the beach to referee the submarine races that the Navy held there every Friday, and Saturday, night. No pay, but it was worth the effort, if you know what I mean.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Softball is my main sport. I also do baseball and football, but that is waning.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:19pm
I miss being on the floor

I just do basketball for now. I think football or baseball, maybe slow pitch softball would be next.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Oh, and to stay on-topic, I only do basketball.

Only other sport I think I would ever consider is lacrosse.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When I was in college I used to take my dates to a parking spot at the beach to referee the submarine races that the Navy held there every Friday, and Saturday, night. No pay, but it was worth the effort, if you know what I mean.
Did you call reaches and over the back, or did she just call the cops and have you arrested for illegal use of hands?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Did you call reaches and over the back, or did she just call the cops and have you arrested for illegal use of hands?
Actually, he probably wanted a blarge.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:56pm
Administrator

Quote:

I officiate basketball (H.S. and youth age since 1971 to the present; women's college from 1974 to 2008; men's college from 1993- to present; USA Basketball/FIBA from 1993 to 2003).

I umpire H.S. (and youth age) baseball (1993 to the present).

I umpire H.S. (and ASA, USSSA) fastpitch softball (1993 to the present).

I offciated that un-American sport of H.S. futbol, , from 1993 to 2006 (and USSA/FIFA from 1993 to 1997).

Basketball will always be my first sport, but I really wish that I had taken up umpiring baseball about 20 years sooner becuase I really enjoy it almost as much as I do officiating basketball.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Mark, Jr., has been officiating basketball and umpiring baseball since 2007 and has been umpiring ASA and USSSA fastpitch softball since 2007.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball is my primary sport...back in college I did basketball, football and baseball/softball. Football if I had stuck with it I would have been pretty good at it over time, but I can say this with regards to baseball/softball I was an awful ump. Truely awful. Maddening inconsistent strike zone and too many close calls missed in the field. I need the action going constantly to keep me 'engaged' and baseball never did that for me.

I may go back and restart football this fall if I can work out some childcare plans as I do think I would enjoy it and the association in my area needs younger officials (at least what I've been told).