The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

State Week

Anyone else find it tough to be as happy as you should be about your last week of assignments when your boys dont advance with you?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Anyone else find it tough to be as happy as you should be about your last week of assignments when your boys dont advance with you?
You might need to be more specific. Who are your boys? And what do you mean by advance?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I meant boys as in our officiating friends.
And advance as in they are not working the final week.

Tough for me to enjoy it as much as I should at this point...
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sounds like a good problem to have.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Were you expecting to get there together? I am assuming you are working that level and they are not right? And I can discern that you are working the Championship week or weekend?

Well first of all congrats. Secondly unless there is a typical expectation that you would work with friends, why would you be upset or not as happy about that? They should be happy or ecstatic for you most of all. Officiating is a fraternity and we all are not going to get to the same places as others at the same time.

Without getting too deep into our system, we have a pecking order and get advanced in our system individually. We never can guarantee getting there at the same time as other officials. I am very happy for those that have advanced further than me. And if and when I get there in basketball, I would just want the support of those friends that I worked with that were there. I also do not look at those accomplishments as strictly individual. I tend to look at these things as a group thing based on how many people have helped them or gave them a shot. I guess I hope that your friends are not "happy" for you, that is sad. If you are feeling this way on your own, not sure why you would be worried about who you are with. Enjoy the experience and support your friends if they get there in the coming years.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I really need to sharpen up my writing skills
No I wasnt expecting to work a game with any friends. And they are all happy for me, but a few are just totally upset by not meeting their personal expectations.

Tough to be totally happy, while feeling their pain. In past seasons, we all made it together, different levels, but together.

Thanks JRut!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yanking Chains ...

Quote:
Anyone else find it tough to be as happy as you should be about your last week of assignments when your boys don't advance with you?
I seldom get enough votes from coaches to work the state tournament. Not a big deal for me because, with very few exceptions, those that make the tournament are usually much better than me. I do enjoy going out to watch my colleagues. I usually walk into the gym and say to them, "Gee? I thought, for sure, that they would have sent really good officials to this game?" Their usual response: "And you would be wrong". Once I walked in to see three very experienced veterans. I said to them, "Did they decide to send the three oldest officials to this game?" One replied, "No. They sent the three officials with the least amount of hair." He was right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 01:41pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 02:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No I wasnt expecting to work a game with any friends. And they are all happy for me, but a few are just totally upset by not meeting their personal expectations.

Tough to be totally happy, while feeling their pain. In past seasons, we all made it together, different levels, but together.

Thanks JRut!
Well, if you were really my boy you would decline your state games this year to show solidarity with me and my board.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks JRut!
Don't sweat it too much. Just know that you represent all the "boys" who didn't make it, so get your mind right and take care of business. I for one know I will be out there watching the big games this week and try to pick up on the last few things I will be working on this summer to get more post season games next year.

Congratz, well deserved.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Toren!!

BNR, I'm not falling for that one
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Toren!!

BNR, I'm not falling for that one
Why not? I did. Fraternally yours, my brother!!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:57am
Huck Finn

Congrats tref!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Lcubed48, good for you, I gotta admire that! How many times had you been previously?
I could turn the game back, but that doesn't mean its gonna go to the official of my choice.

Thanks tomegun!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Lcubed48, good for you, I gotta admire that! How many times had you been previously?
I could turn the game back, but that doesn't mean its gonna go to the official of my choice.

Thanks tomegun!
Where and when, tref?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Thanks tomegun!
He was joking tref.

I crew-chiefed a boys quarter-final game last year for my first state appearance. But we're in the midst of a political struggle down here and my association didn't have enough public schools to qualify anyone to work the state tourney this year. L-3 is recruiting me to join him up north if things fall apart permanently for my association this off-season.

lcubed is one of those good guys in officiating who is always genuinely supportive and happy when his brethren have success.