The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 01:39am
We don't rent pigs

State Tourney

Went to watch some state semifinals today.

Girls 3A, last 2 minutes, 20 point spread or so, substitutes are in. White team inbounds against pressure, pass sails out of bounds near the division line, touched by no one. Lead whistles, retrieves the ball, and rolls it back to the end line, and takes his position as the new trail. Official on the end lines inbounds............ to white again. Officials at the division line whistles, points emphatically, and declares black ball.

Boys 4A, start of the 4th quarter. Official whistles before the ball is put in play, and leads 10 over to the bench, pointing out blood on his jersey. After a brief conversation, the coach walks down the bench, points and gestures to 33. "Don't do it, kid," I thought. But I was the only one. Both players quickly stripped off their jerseys. 33 never got off the bench, and remained there wearing his undershirt. 10 wore no undershirt, and actually walked back across the middle of the court bare-chested as he straightened out the 33 jersey before putting it on, so it's not like there was any chance that all this went unnoticed.

Don't sweat the small stuff?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Was watching state tourney semis on Friday with a few varsity officials. Three or four minutes left in the game, White leads by ten or so, but Red is pushing for a comeback. White has an AP throw-in. Before White throws the ball in, Red fouls a White player. Everyone went to the other end to shoot the one and one and I noticed that the arrow was incorrectly switched to Red! I waited for a minute to see if the officials noticed, and then I pointed it out to the people I was watching the game with. I was shocked to find that I was the only person who noticed the error. Luckily, White kept their lead and won the game and more importantly, there were no more AP throw-ins for the rest of the game, but if Red had made a comeback and they'd had to go to the arrow, I don't think anyone would've realized that it should've been White's arrow!
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Went to watch some state semifinals today.

Girls 3A, last 2 minutes, 20 point spread or so, substitutes are in. White team inbounds against pressure, pass sails out of bounds near the division line, touched by no one. Lead whistles, retrieves the ball, and rolls it back to the end line, and takes his position as the new trail. Official on the end lines inbounds............ to white again. Officials at the division line whistles, points emphatically, and declares black ball.

Boys 4A, start of the 4th quarter. Official whistles before the ball is put in play, and leads 10 over to the bench, pointing out blood on his jersey. After a brief conversation, the coach walks down the bench, points and gestures to 33. "Don't do it, kid," I thought. But I was the only one. Both players quickly stripped off their jerseys. 33 never got off the bench, and remained there wearing his undershirt. 10 wore no undershirt, and actually walked back across the middle of the court bare-chested as he straightened out the 33 jersey before putting it on, so it's not like there was any chance that all this went unnoticed.

Don't sweat the small stuff?
Brain lock in the state semis? Ugh.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't go, but my partner for Sat's ms games told me he'd been up to watch Great Eight games Friday night.

1. Jump ball, 6-9 vs 6-1. Toss goes up, 6-9 player seems somewhat confused by toss, ends up tapping it twice. Ball then bounces on the floor before 6-9 grabs it. Officials call a violation on 6-9.

2. Intentional foul on made basket. Officials award one FT and the ball.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I didn't go, but my partner for Sat's ms games told me he'd been up to watch Great Eight games Friday night.

1. Jump ball, 6-9 vs 6-1. Toss goes up, 6-9 player seems somewhat confused by toss, ends up tapping it twice. Ball then bounces on the floor before 6-9 grabs it. Officials call a violation on 6-9.

2. Intentional foul on made basket. Officials award one FT and the ball.
This wouldn't surprise me in the least, especially in places where the almighty coach's ratings determines who gets to work. The coaches don't know the rules and would still rate these officials well, probably,
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Glass Half Full, Glass Half Empty ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Intentional foul on made basket. Officials award one FT and the ball.
They got it half right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:03pm
Back from the DL

State title game last night. Roughly two minutes left, A-33 (whose team has a healthy lead) gets a steal, dunks the ball, and mouths off to B-32. New trail is right there for the T.

A-45 (who had his warm-up shirt on, don't know actual number) comes off the bench to do a celebratory body bump with A-33. I immediately look to see if the crew does anything about it. They don't. Can't say that I blame them (and my son's team is the losing team on this night).
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Bainsey, Your spot on. I saw this but it didn't dawn on me. This could have been another "T". But I don't know if I would have had the "NADS" to issue it. Was a good game though.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

How far onto the court?
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 04:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know why we act like officials at that level are perfect. They make mistakes too guys.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 07:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know why we act like officials at that level are perfect. They make mistakes too guys.

Peace
Some of these mistakes they *shouldn't* make, though.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 07:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Some of these mistakes they *shouldn't* make, though.
True, but they are human. And there is a lot of pressure at those games and at the high school level there is not a lot of preparation for those events. Mistakes are going to happen. The key is to limit them.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 07:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
True, but they are human. And there is a lot of pressure at those games and at the high school level there is not a lot of preparation for those events. Mistakes are going to happen. The key is to limit them.

Peace
My point on the intentional foul is that it requires *three* officials to screw that up. I'm not talking judgment, here.

I know that if I'm working the game, I'm coming in and making sure this is done right. I've called 2 INT fouls on made baskets in the last 5 years (one of the players is now playing at Tennessee and had a heckuva game yesterday against Vandy) and while the opposing coach was left scratching his head, I know I got the call correct.

3 officials getting this wrong is really inexcusable.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
3 officials getting this wrong is really inexcusable.
Totally agree. But the pressure of the situation makes a lot of people less effective. That mistake is certainly bigger than other mistakes, but just saying they will and are going to happen no matter how they are picked to work those games.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 08:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

My question was whether both of these entire crews were unaware of the applicable rule or chose to ignore it? (the second thing seems more likely to me)

Or do you yield to the guy responsible for/closest to the screwup?

The new (shoulda been) trail killed the play and declared "Black ball." I can certainly see stopping and having a discussion about this one.

But if my partner leads the kid with the bloody jersey to the bench and the removal takes place literally right under his nose, it is more difficult to imagine calling this from across the court.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 11:22pm.