The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Both teams finish with seven players combined
Associated Press

RICHMOND, Ky. -- Nineteen players were ejected following a bench-clearing brawl that overshadowed Eastern Kentucky's 89-72 win over Tennessee State on Monday night.

The fight began with 8:13 to play and Eastern ahead 72-58. Eastern's Shawn Fields had the ball when a hard foul was called on Tennessee State's Cedric Bryson; players from both benches poured onto the floor.

"It was just complete chaos,'' Eastern Kentucky coach Travis Ford said. "Nobody really knows what happened.''

Eastern sports information director Karl Park said videotape from the game was being overnighted to Ohio Valley Conference Acting Commissioner Ron English, who will review the footage and determine whether suspensions are warranted.

Bryson, Fields and Eastern's Kenyatta Dix and Champ Slaughter were ejected for fighting, while nine players from both teams were ejected for leaving the bench. The rest of those who were playing when the fight started also were ejected.

The NCAA automatically suspends players one game if they have been ejected for fighting.

The game resumed with four players on each side and ended with seven players on the court after Tennessee State's Jeremy Jackson fouled out.

Ford wasn't happy with the decision to finish the game with eight players.

"I didn't think that was legal,'' he said.

Jon Bentley finished with a career-high 32 points for the Colonels (10-12, 4-7 OVC). Bentley also had 10 rebounds

Eastern jumped to a 10-0 lead and never trailed, while Tennessee State (2-20, 0-11) got no closer than four the rest of the way.

Matt Witt followed Bentley with 14 points, while Mike Scott added 13 for Eastern.

Garrett Richardson led Tennessee State with 24 points, Jackson added 13 and Adrian Pritchett had 10.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

And,

there is no e-mail address for Eastern Kentucky's Coach so a "caring" official can send him the news of the rules of participation with less than five players.

Again, from what I read, one of the coaches is trying to "blame" the officials.

Maybe both coaches should be suspended along with the players.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Tim,I would imagine that there's a good chance in this case that both coaches will be suspended.Most leagues do that now in these bench clearing deals,even the NHL.The head coach should be responsible for the conduct of his players.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I agree with your take Tim C

Regardless of what the rule is regarding number of players to finish the game, the coach should be focused on what created the shortage of players to begin with. It sounds as if both coaches had trouble controlling their players. If anything his post game comments should reference the fact that his team lost control of themselves and he is totally embarrassed at their reaction, he will take corrective action against those involved, etc, etc. Instead it appears as though he is trying to divert attention to the officials and their rules knowledge. And, without knowing who the crew was, they are D1 officials and I can assure him that their rules knowledge is better than his!!!!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: And,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
there is no e-mail address for Eastern Kentucky's Coach so a "caring" official can send him the news of the rules of participation with less than five players.

Again, from what I read, one of the coaches is trying to "blame" the officials.

From the EKU website
Email Address: [email protected]
=======================================

For those who wish to write him directly.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Here we go,

Thanks Willie.

The letter is in the mail. So to speak.

Tee
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Here is a clip from an article from the USA Today with a reference from the TSU coach. It appears as though he has the proper perspective.... and he was the losing coach.

Tennessee State coach Hosea Lewis said "Both teams just got excited (and came off the bench), and I am very unhappy with the way it was handled. I am disappointed in the outcome, because we have intelligent players and young men at TSU."

As a side note....I believe TSU is the school where Nolan Richardson's (Former Arkansas Coach)son was the coach. Nolan Richardson Jr. has been suspended (or terminated- don't know the outcome) for alledgedly carrying a gun into the gym and threatening Hosea (then the asst. coach)late one night after the two had had a disagreement over a practice issue. TSU and its athlectic director sure have had its challenges in the basketball dept this year and sure did not need this....!!!!

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Feb 11th, 2003 at 12:55 PM]
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Boy this has to be a year TSU wants to forget. Maybe they can pull a Michigan and say this year never happened.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

I saw this article too, and have some questions. Did each team really have four players who did not participate in the fight or enter the court from the bench? Seems very unlikely to me. One would think that all teams members would be in the mix in this situation, since no one would want to be branded a coward or someone that doesn't support his teammates. And 4 each??? Please, what are the odds of that! I truly hate to criticize other officials, but I have serious doubts about this being the way it actually played out.
I believe that in college the officials can use video tape to determine the participants in a fight (some of the college guys will either confirm this or set me straight), so maybe they could clearly see who did what, but wouldn't it be interesting to see the post-game report on that one!

I got a good piece of advice from a very experienced official when I was first starting. He told me that if you ever have a bench clearing brawl occur in a game, the best thing to do is note the names/numbers of all who participated in the fight and suspend the game at that point. This way the league office can handle the matter. It takes all the emphasis off the officials. The decision to continue or not with any remaining players can be made by the office.
Now for a D1 college game this may not be the proper solution as they have to do what the conference wants, but if it ever happens to me in a HS game, I am going to follow his advice.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I saw this article too, and have some questions. Did each team really have four players who did not participate in the fight or enter the court from the bench? Seems very unlikely to me. One would think that all teams members would be in the mix in this situation, since no one would want to be branded a coward or someone that doesn't support his teammates. And 4 each??? Please, what are the odds of that!

I hate to assume, but my guess would be that everyone came off of the benches (all ejected). If you're on the floor and don't participate, there's no penalty - which would explain 4 from each team.

Quote:
I believe that in college the officials can use video tape to determine the participants in a fight (some of the college guys will either confirm this or set me straight), so maybe they could clearly see who did what, but wouldn't it be interesting to see the post-game report on that one!

Well, assuming there was replay equipment at the scorers' table, yes. In either case, the league can review the tape and suspend more people, change who is suspended, or instate a penalty longer than one game.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I hate to assume, but my guess would be that everyone came off of the benches (all ejected). If you're on the floor and don't participate, there's no penalty - which would explain 4 from each team.

Mark,
I thought about that, but the article has this quote: "The rest of those who were playing when the fight started also were ejected."
Of course, the news source could be mistaken.

PS I used to work for IAABO bd.12 when I lived in DC. What association do you work for?

Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Mark,
I thought about that, but the article has this quote: "The rest of those who were playing when the fight started also were ejected."
Of course, the news source could be mistaken.

PS I used to work for IAABO bd.12 when I lived in DC. What association do you work for?

Yeah - didn't see the ESPN article until after I had posted. Mea culpa.

BTW, I work for board 2,004,178,283 - local college intramural staff.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Just saw the sports news....both coaches suspended for one game, along with one player from each team.

The female Athletic Director at one of the schools (missed which one) will fill in as coach for a game on Thursday, becoming the first woman to coach an NCAA Division I game.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Phillips to be first woman to coach D-I men
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Teresa Phillips' first game as coach of Tennessee State's men's basketball team will be one for the record books.

Phillips, the school's athletics director, will become the first woman to coach a men's Division I college basketball team when the Tigers play at Austin Peay in Clarksville, Tenn., on Thursday night.

Phillips suspended interim coach Hosea Lewis for one game Tuesday and announced she would coach the team a day after 19 players were ejected following a brawl between Tennessee State and Eastern Kentucky.

It's believed to be the first time that a woman will coach male players in a major team sport.

There are plenty of men coaching women's college basketball teams. Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma has won three NCAA titles and two out of the last three.

But the only women to ever serve as coaches for a men's Division I team were assistants: Bernadette Locke at Kentucky and Stephanie Ready at Coppin State.

Phillips coached the Tennessee State women to a 212-189 record from 1989-2000. She took over a program that had been 2-25 and went 12-14 in her first season.

The Tennessee State men are in an even worse state of affairs than Phillips' early teams. The Tigers are 2-20 and 0-11 in the Ohio Valley Conference and previously dealt with coaching turmoil this season.

Nolan Richardson III, the son of former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson, resigned Jan. 8, two weeks after Phillips suspended him indefinitely for bringing a gun into the school's gym. Richardson admitted he got the gun out of his car during an argument with Lewis, who was then his assistant. Phillips hired Lewis as interim coach upon Richardson's resignation.

Monday night's brawl broke out with 8:13 to play in the Tigers' 89-72 loss at Eastern Kentucky. Eastern's Shawn Fields had the ball when a hard foul was called on Tennessee State's Cedric Bryson, prompting players from both benches to run onto the floor.

Fields, Bryson and Eastern's Kenyatta Dix and Champ Slaughter were ejected for fighting, while nine players from both teams were ejected for leaving the bench. The rest of the players who were in when the fight started also were ejected.

The game resumed with only four players on each side; Tennessee State finished with three players after one fouled out.

Bryson, Slaughter and Dix were suspended for one game, as mandated by NCAA rules. OVC interim commissioner Ron English assessed a one-game suspension to TSU's Josh Cooperwood for his action. EKU's Sherard Rogers, who was responsible for throwing a box of mini-basketballs at a group of players, was suspended immediately Eastern.

The players who left their respective bench areas during the disturbance were all suspended for the remainder of that game. After viewing the tape, which showed players standing alone or holding one another, English determined that they did not engage in any fighting activities, and will not assess any further penalties to them.

"Monday night's altercation is certainly not indicative of the outstanding athletic spirit of the OVC or Tennessee State University," Phillips said in a statement. "We look forward to completing our season on a positive note."
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 05:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm assuming she's going to be coaching some walk-ons, or do the players not face a one-game suspension?