The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
So basically it has been proven that he didn't follow protocol, and your only defense has been "You weren't there", or "You haven't been in staff meetings", etc. We don't need to have been there or sat in staff meetings, we're going off of what the ACC coordinator said, which is that Hess didn't handle it properly. Then you just give the old "Because he can". I "can" go whack a coach in my game tomorrow right off the bat without them saying anything, but it doesn't mean that I'm right. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is correct.
He didn't follow the proper procedure. Big flip. Nowhere did they say that he was wrong in ejecting the two. They simply said he should have had game management do it instead of security.

BTW, the ACC also said the two had been previously warned by a security guard at the end of the FSU bench that if they continued to walk up behind the scorer's table and demonstrate regarding calls, they would be ejcted.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:19am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
BTW, the ACC also said the two had been previously warned by a security guard at the end of the FSU bench that if they continued to walk up behind the scorer's table and demonstrate regarding calls, they would be ejcted.
Exactly. I guarantee you it wasn't just about what they "said" ... it was what they were doing. If you are seated behind the scorer's table you can't interfere with what is going on. Sounds to me like they were being a huge distraction, were warned, didn't want to comply, and were ejected.

Do you think if it was two students at the school or two random people attending the game this would have even made ESPN? Doubt it.

The quote in this article tells me all I need to know:

"We're not denying we were all over him, but I've been doing that every game I've been at since I retired," said Corchiani, who said he attends just about every NC State game. "That's homecourt advantage."

No, Chris, that's douchebaggery.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

NC State's Rules for Fans

Just for kicks, the following is in the NC State Basketball Fan guide for the 2011-12 Season...

NC State Sportsmanship Initiative
Promoting first-class conduct from all those associated with NC State has always been the goal of the athletics department. Coaches, players, fans, staff, spirit groups, and students are all ambassadors for the University at sporting events.
We all share the responsibility of promoting good sportsmanship at games and ensuring that the next generations of Wolfpackers learn the proper way to support their team.
The “Wolfpack in the House” sportsmanship campaign is your guide to helping
create a positive and enthusiastic “game-day” atmosphere. We want everyone to understand their role in creating home court advantage, but more importantly, realizing the responsibility we all share in representing NC State and respecting all fans’ right to have fun and enjoy themselves.

Let your actions represent the best of NC State
NC State is one of the top research institutions in the country, and our alumni
and fans reflect that caliber of program
Respect our visitors and game official
Regardless of the outcome of the game, we can still show pride for our
university through our interactions with guests.
Cheer loudly, but with appropriate language
Profanity or vulgarity can be as detrimental to game atmosphere as cheering
support to your team is beneficial to it, make the right choice
Respect fellow Wolfpackers - especially young fans
The future of NC State is sitting in the stands today, our children will represent the university for years to come, let’s get them started out on the right foot.
Be positive in your support of our team, coaches, and players
There is no good reason to degrade the teams on the court, instead celebrate
the game that is taking place in front of you.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Does this mean you'll be leaving this board???
(Where is that ignore button thingy?)
Nope, I am not going anywhere.

Dont wait too long to hit that ignore button thingy.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Does this mean you'll be leaving this board???
(Where is that ignore button thingy?)
No, because it's far more fulfilling to stick around and look down on us group thinkers from his high horse.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Just for kicks, the following is in the NC State Basketball Fan guide for the 2011-12 Season...

NC State Sportsmanship Initiative
Promoting first-class conduct from all those associated with NC State has always been the goal of the athletics department. Coaches, players, fans, staff, spirit groups, and students are all ambassadors for the University at sporting events.
We all share the responsibility of promoting good sportsmanship at games and ensuring that the next generations of Wolfpackers learn the proper way to support their team.
The “Wolfpack in the House” sportsmanship campaign is your guide to helping
create a positive and enthusiastic “game-day” atmosphere. We want everyone to understand their role in creating home court advantage, but more importantly, realizing the responsibility we all share in representing NC State and respecting all fans’ right to have fun and enjoy themselves.

Let your actions represent the best of NC State
NC State is one of the top research institutions in the country, and our alumni
and fans reflect that caliber of program
Respect our visitors and game official
Regardless of the outcome of the game, we can still show pride for our
university through our interactions with guests.
Cheer loudly, but with appropriate language
Profanity or vulgarity can be as detrimental to game atmosphere as cheering
support to your team is beneficial to it, make the right choice
Respect fellow Wolfpackers - especially young fans
The future of NC State is sitting in the stands today, our children will represent the university for years to come, let’s get them started out on the right foot.
Be positive in your support of our team, coaches, and players
There is no good reason to degrade the teams on the court, instead celebrate
the game that is taking place in front of you.
This is the same stuff they read over the loudspeaker at HS games just before the fans act like idiots. They should just not bother reading it at all or make it as quick as my captains' meeting.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, the ACC said that the "the policeman at the end of the FSU bench was warned that their continual excessive demonstration that incited the crowd would result in ejection."

I wonder if that warning was communicated to the two former players.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

My take:

Justification: We'll probably never know the exact reason Hess decided to pull the trigger. But, like others here I'm willing to give Hess the benefit of the doubt. If you're a veteran D1 official, I'd have to think you don't stick your neck out like this without good reason. I do find it laughable that Corchiani and Googs are claiming they said nothing more than "you're not doing a very good job out there." Considering that they went to Twitter moments after the incident, they've been able to frame the incident exactly in a way that absolves them of any responsibility. They've won the PR fight by a landslide.

Execution: This is where Hess failed miserably, and he's received the necessary slap on the wrist for it. Who knows if he'll miss postseason games as a result. You don't give the heave ho like he did. You don't interact with said fans like he did. Say nothing to the fan(s), go directly to game management (or the closest thing resembling game management) and let them take care of it.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Outta Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
You don't give the heave ho like he did.
Does he work baseball games in the off season?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 02:10pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Who knows if he'll miss postseason games as a result.
I'd bet good money against it. I doubt he will miss a single game for the rest of the season, let alone the post-season.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 04:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'd bet good money against it. I doubt he will miss a single game for the rest of the season, let alone the post-season.
And this was an ACC Policy, not an NCAA Policy which might be expanded now because of these types of incidents.

BTW, Curtis Shaw got rid of a mascot and did not use GM to do so. I did not see that part of the ejection even focused on and I do not recall that it hurt him either.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 06:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And this was an ACC Policy, not an NCAA Policy which might be expanded now because of these types of incidents.

BTW, Curtis Shaw got rid of a mascot and did not use GM to do so. I did not see that part of the ejection even focused on and I do not recall that it hurt him either.

Peace
Don't know if this is considered in the policy, but the mascot is out there to make a spectacle of himself. He, and others, probably got a kick out of the whole thing. These distinguished alumni in the case at hand, not so much.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 06:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Don't know if this is considered in the policy, but the mascot is out there to make a spectacle of himself. He, and others, probably got a kick out of the whole thing. These distinguished alumni in the case at hand, not so much.
For a moment they were "extinguished".
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 06:29pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
These distinguished alumni in the case at hand, not so much.
They lost the "distinguished" part when they started acting like buffoons!!!
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
They lost the "distinguished" part when they started acting like buffoons!!!
I wish you were right.