The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:14am
Back from the DL

Separate associations, girls/boys high school?

Someone recently asked me whether our state should have separate officials' boards for girls and boys high school basketball, since they're, in his view, "different games."

Of course, there are separate associations at the college level -- as the rule sets are different -- but I've never heard of such a thing in high/middle school. Before I definitively say so, I'm checking here. Does any place have that?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

We have one HS league thats ran by a DI guy & he assigns boys staff & girls staff of officials. He runs the league like an NCAA conference & personally, I really like it! R makes a phone call after every game, preseason meeting, weekly email updates, etc. Accountability is not a bad thing.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

IA has seperate state associations for Boys and Girls sports. The officials choose if they want to belong to either or both of the associations. If you don't belong to one you are not licensed to work those games (i.e. if you only join the boys association you don't work girls games).
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

There are several states that have separate rules for boys and girls. I don't have a list, but it seems like there are several in the northeast...
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Someone recently asked me whether our state should have separate officials' boards for girls and boys high school basketball, since they're, in his view, "different games."

Of course, there are separate associations at the college level -- as the rule sets are different -- but I've never heard of such a thing in high/middle school. Before I definitively say so, I'm checking here. Does any place have that?
While Iowa has different state organizations for girls sports vs boys sports, your friend's reasoning is flawed. Most local boards include both boys and girls.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would be thrilled if we did that here. I'd probably only join the boys group.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:00am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
There are several states that have separate rules for boys and girls. I don't have a list, but it seems like there are several in the northeast...
Girls basketball in New York is played under NCAA Women's rules I believe. NY appears to have their own association for Girl's Basketball officials.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
IA has seperate state associations for Boys and Girls sports. The officials choose if they want to belong to either or both of the associations. If you don't belong to one you are not licensed to work those games (i.e. if you only join the boys association you don't work girls games).
Exactly the same in our state.
Only difference, boy's board is IABBO, girl's is not. As such (if you're on both boards)....a different shirt patch and jacket for each.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

We've had rumors here about ohsaa splitting associations to boys and girls...and splitting baseball/softball associations for the last few years.

It makes sense to a point. I know there are guys here that don't work the required amount of games on the girls side to qualify for tournaments. Though I doubt this will solve it.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think that would go over well here. I wish that was the case so there would be no, "Do you want to work a girl's game" chatter that I get tired of often around here as I do not feel I should have to justify why I work only Boy's sports and this would help that issue for me personally. I just do not see the climate to make that change anytime soon.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
We've had rumors here about ohsaa splitting associations to boys and girls...and splitting baseball/softball associations for the last few years.

It makes sense to a point. I know there are guys here that don't work the required amount of games on the girls side to qualify for tournaments. Though I doubt this will solve it.
Splitting baseball and softball makes sense: they're different sports, with different rule books.

Splitting boys and girls basketball, not so much.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
In NY, we use different rule sets for HS boys and girls basketball, so there are different associations.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Won't happen here in VA for basketball. In fact one association has more games than its roster can handle and started assigning crews to do BV/GV doubleheaders, something that has never done around these parts for AAA (large schools) basketball.

When commissioner spun the story into "we have enough officials, we are just providing equal quality officials for both genders" the state director publicly (newspaper interview) chimed in that she doesn't want officials classified as girls' or boys' officials, just as Varsity officials.

So I know it won't happen in this state and I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be separate, but in practice the progression is GJV, mix of GJV/BJV, mix of BJV/GV, mix of GV/BV, with a goal of almost exclusively BV games.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Baseball and softball SHOULD be split - they are very very different games with different rules and vastly different mechanics.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Won't happen here in VA for basketball. In fact one association has more games than its roster can handle and started assigning crews to do BV/GV doubleheaders, something that has never done around these parts for AAA (large schools) basketball.

When commissioner spun the story into "we have enough officials, we are just providing equal quality officials for both genders" the state director publicly (newspaper interview) chimed in that she doesn't want officials classified as girls' or boys' officials, just as Varsity officials.

So I know it won't happen in this state and I'm of the opinion it shouldn't be separate, but in practice the progression is GJV, mix of GJV/BJV, mix of BJV/GV, mix of GV/BV, with a goal of almost exclusively BV games.
Around here many assignees cater to those who will only work boys games to the point where those of us who have never made such demands end up with less than 50% boys.

I will have done 58 varsity games this year and 34 of them girls. Seriously thinking about cutting back to the 25-30 I'd get if I work only boys. Of course we have to make that decision 2 years in advance here.