The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

What? Yea I usually hold up 2 fingers and say ahhhh right boys we got one shot here.. c'mon man
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
What? Yea I usually hold up 2 fingers and say ahhhh right boys we got one shot here.. c'mon man
Well you must be pretty bad if you do it every time.

Outside of your bubble officials sometimes say one number and signal a different number. Sometimes the official says and signals the correct number but a player believes the official said a different number.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2012, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle View Post
Why do you look at the table? .... And what are you looking for anyway?
Glance at the table to check for subs??
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

This 1st year has experimented and learned you do what works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
does no one verbalize a "play it off the rim" or "rest on the first"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I'm not real proud of it...but, I do say "let it hit". I never say..."rest on the first one". Just "2" if there are 2 shots.

...I think the verbalization just shows the players that I'm watching for early entry into the lane.

Depends on the level. If all you call is varsity or higher, okay. But as a first year official my schedule was made up of middle school, frosh & JV. I found if I verbalized just "Let it hit" or "Rest" at these levels, it will help cut down on lane violations. As this season has progressed (and presumably the players have gotten better), I find myself saying it less and less, and just going with "One" or "Two" or whatever number we're shooting while making eye contact with the table and my partner (2 man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hook 'em Horns while torquing my wrist back and forth and loudly verbalizing 1 and 1. Each index finger high up in the air toward table once I get back to the endline.

I thought I was the only one that did this?! Except I don't use the classic 1-&-1 signal at the end (see below). I used the hold-the-ball-between-your-arms method for most of the season before switching to the Hook'em Horns. Of course, I'll also verbalize it, loudly. Again, at the MS/Frosh/JV level, I found the bounce method was way too short. I like to hold my hand signal up for a good 2-3 seconds so ALL the players, the table and my partner know what we're doing. The split second of a bounce is just too short for the attention span of younger players.

Also, I don't do anything after bouncing the ball to the shooter. Everyone's eyes naturally follow the ball, including the players on the lane, the table, the spectators, etc. So it feels pointless to make a signal when no one's watching; but before I bounce, I have the ball - so all those eyes are on me and that's the best time to communicate what we have.

Interesting thread.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Message From The International Union Of Trail Officials ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Glance at the table to check for subs??
Isn't that the trail's job?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Isn't that the trail's job?
Why would the Lead not look at the table for subs? Aren't they the ones that administering the ball and need to know also if someone is eligible to come in the game? And considering the Trial's responsibility in 2 Person, they have their back to the table.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Two Person Officiating, IAABO Two Person Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And considering the Trial's responsibility in 2 Person, they have their back to the table.
Sorry. I forgot to mention that, here in the Constitution State, we're 100% IAABO, and after switching, the new trail is always opposite the table when free throws will ensue.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sorry. I forgot to mention that, here in the Constitution State, we're 100% IAABO, and after switching, the new trail is always opposite the table when free throws will ensue.
Still even if that is the case, I still will look at the table for subs as the Lead official and I do not work 2 Person at all in the season. I think it is good teamwork officiating to do so. Because if we miss a sub, we all are going to be held responsible. It is the Trail's responsibility first, but the crews responsibility to know as well.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Prize From The Top Shelf ...

Quote:
I still will look at the table for subs as the Lead official and I do not work 2 Person at all in the season. I think it is good teamwork officiating to do so. Because if we miss a sub, we all are going to be held responsible. It is the Trail's responsibility first, but the crews responsibility to know as well.
JRutledge: You are correct. After your previous post in this thread, I checked my trusty IAABO Mechanics Manual, and it is the responsibility of both officials to check to table.

Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post

Also, I don't do anything after bouncing the ball to the shooter. Everyone's eyes naturally follow the ball, including the players on the lane, the table, the spectators, etc. So it feels pointless to make a signal when no one's watching; but before I bounce, I have the ball - so all those eyes are on me and that's the best time to communicate what we have.

Interesting thread.
I have game announcers who have announced the wrong number of shots correct themselves when I give the signal to the table. Also have had coaches notice my signal to the table.

Not all eyes are fixated on the shooter.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRutledge: You are correct. After your previous post in this thread, I checked my trusty IAABO Mechanics Manual, and it is the responsibility of both officials to check to table.
Well considering that I am not an IAABO member and did not comment based on those sets of mechanics, this has always been taught to me and something I really learned in an ACC game where a sub was not properly brought in after FT late in a game. Well the sub was not made and I believe the team on defense could not bring in a sub to defend or a chance to defend a last second shot. The entire crew got suspended for a couple of games and fined. I learned that even if you are not listed as "responsible" by the book, you need to not just pass the buck to your partner as it still may be something you will notice. Partners get distracted or in many cases with subs where they sit in front of the table can make it easy to miss. I am not saying to only watch for this as Lead, but what is the harm to take a glance?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well considering that I am not an IAABO member and did not comment based on those sets of mechanics, this has always been taught to me and something I really learned in an ACC game where a sub was not properly brought in after FT late in a game. Well the sub was not made and I believe the team on defense could not bring in a sub to defend or a chance to defend a last second shot. The entire crew got suspended for a couple of games and fined. I learned that even if you are not listed as "responsible" by the book, you need to not just pass the buck to your partner as it still may be something you will notice. Partners get distracted or in many cases with subs where they sit in front of the table can make it easy to miss. I am not saying to only watch for this as Lead, but what is the harm to take a glance?

Peace
When a coach sends a sub to the table late, especially if subs have already been brought in, the Lead is the only one who can see it and the Trail is often observing the players to make sure there are 5 & 5 on the court. Why wait for the Trail? I work in a lot of gyms where the table is not very good at hitting the horn for subs. I know I've been the Trail quite often and the Lead is the one who alerted me to the fact there is a sub at the table.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 12, 2012 at 01:47pm.
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When a coach sends a sub to the table late, especially if subs have already been brought in, the Lead is the only one who can see it and the Trail is often observing the players to make sure there are 5 & 5 on the court. Why wait for the Trail? I work in a lot of gyms where the table is very good at hitting the horn for subs. I know I've been the Trail quite often and the Lead is the one who alerted me to the fact there is a sub at the table.
Me too, that is why all of us should have some knowledge at some point.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 12, 2012, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The post I was replying to about not looking at the table as you give 1 and 1 signal is because that person said he did that as he was backing out of the lane. This would infer that he has already bounced the ball to the shooter. Subs at the table are inconsequential at this point. Once the shooter has the ball we are not going to bring them into the game.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

In Ontario we often have many players flipping back and forth between FIBA and Federation rule sets. Early in the game if I deem necessary I may remind people in a FED game " once it hits in high school ball." In FIBA, you are allowed to enter on release so many of the players get confused.