The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Lanyard or No lanyard

I ahve been officiating for 10 years now. 5 years ago I stopped wearing a lanyard. I have developed a system for myself to not wear one and not drop my whstle. I ahvent dropped my whistle in 4 years. Recently a coach told me i needed to wear one that it looked unprofessional. I simply replied, how come a lot of NBA and college officials dont wear one? Why wear one if it doesnt slow down the game and is comfortable to me? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvumpire1807 View Post
I ahve been officiating for 10 years now. 5 years ago I stopped wearing a lanyard. I have developed a system for myself to not wear one and not drop my whstle. I ahvent dropped my whistle in 4 years. Recently a coach told me i needed to wear one that it looked unprofessional. I simply replied, how come a lot of NBA and college officials dont wear one? Why wear one if it doesnt slow down the game and is comfortable to me? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I would simply say, "Thanks for your opinion" and move on. Whether or not you wear a lanyard is none of a coach's concern -- no more so than if he wears a tie should be of concern to his officials.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Change "coach" to "my supervisor/my mentor/observer/offcial I look up to/top official in my association" then it's something I would worry about.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you find you're getting all the games you want, then I wouldn't worry about it. If, however, it starts somehow costing you games, I'd consider the advice.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

If a coach is the only one saying something to you then I would completely disregard it. As others have said, if it's an assigner or supervisor then it's something to worry about.

I have tried going no lanyard but I'm much more comfortable with one. And the VHSL has said it's mandatory for high school games in VA.

But if it's not an issue with the powers that be in your area, I wouldn't spend a single second worrying about what one coach had to say.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would you need to develop a system for something that's not necessary?

The mustard is off the dog. IMHO you look like a wannabe.

Perception is reality, the fact that a coach notices is a negative.

Can I ask what prompted you do this?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

i just dont see a reason for wearing one if one is not needed. Its liek in baseball, i dont use an indicator in baseball either. Its just something to me that is not needed in my game. Now if i were to drop my whistle, then i would start wearing one again, buti havent dropped my whistle in 5 years. So whats the point in wearing one?
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Why would you need to develop a system for something that's not necessary?

The mustard is off the dog. IMHO you look like a wannabe
That brings up the other issue. Why?

Seems to me there are a couple of different reasons to go without the lanyard, and the OP's response to the coach could lead one to assume the worst.

The next guy around here to go without a lanyard will be the first; and that's just not an area where I'm interested in standing out. It would be like starting to use NBA or NCAA mechanics; just make me look like I think I'm better than everyone else.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
i just dont see a reason for wearing one if one is not needed. Its liek in baseball, i dont use an indicator in baseball either. Its just something to me that is not needed in my game. Now if i were to drop my whistle, then i would start wearing one again, buti havent dropped my whistle in 5 years. So whats the point in wearing one?
The question I would ask is "why not wear one"? After I blow my whistle I don't have to use my hands to take it out of my mouth -- it just falls free.

Of course, I think anyone who doesn't use an indicator on the plate is a fool, so maybe I wouldn't get your answer anyway.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I would wear a lanyard if i could find one short enough to not smack me in the face as i run down the floor. I dont like that part of a lanyard. If i could find one that short then i would wear one. I cant find a yard im comfortable with. The whistle is always in my hand if its not in my mouth, so i have easy access to it. I dont fumble with trying to grab it and it swaying everywhere around my body if i need to get it. Im not saying im better than everyone else, its just my preference.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think if your honest with yourself you'll admit that you saw the big boys not using one and that lured you in. Hey, I never wear a cup behind the plate, never caught one in five years, why should I?

Guys that do this around here (can't think of any now, brief fad) were considered hot dogs
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

ill tell you how i got started doing it. I was working an AAU game with a couple of the higher ups locally. We decided to have a little fun and we played a game. None of us wore lanyards an who ever dropped there whistle first, had to buy lunch. Well i didnt drop mine at all, and i liked the fact that i didnt have to wear one, so i kept doing it. Its not that i saw guys in the NBA do it,its just something that i discovered i could do without problems.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would wear a lanyard if i could find one short enough to not smack me in the face as i run down the floor. I dont like that part of a lanyard. If i could find one that short then i would wear one. I cant find a yard im comfortable with. The whistle is always in my hand if its not in my mouth, so i have easy access to it. I dont fumble with trying to grab it and it swaying everywhere around my body if i need to get it. Im not saying im better than everyone else, its just my preference.

I may be different but as I run down the floor, I have my whistle in my mouth.

So you have a TC call, like to see mechanics on that one with whistle in your palm.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ill tell you how i got started doing it. I was working an AAU game with a couple of the higher ups locally. We decided to have a little fun and we played a game. None of us wore lanyards an who ever dropped there whistle first, had to buy lunch. Well i didnt drop mine at all, and i liked the fact that i didnt have to wear one, so i kept doing it. Its not that i saw guys in the NBA do it,its just something that i discovered i could do without problems.
Why wear socks? could be more comfy without them.

Sorry, I don't buy the having fun story, somebody was imitating NBA.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

you are full of crap. i was askig for advice, not a judgement.