The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:15am
Ok is the new good

Time out??

Late in a tied game...A makes a basket and ball goes thru hoop and B has the ball for throw in and prior to passing it in. Coach A calls TIMEOUT!...I granted the time out.

D2 Observer said to me that once B had the ball ready for throw in..NO Timeout should have been granted to Coach A. Timeout needs to be called when ball is thru the hoop.

[B]Question: Is this in practice how its handled??
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Late in a tied game...A makes a basket and ball goes thru hoop and B has the ball for throw in and prior to passing it in. Coach A calls TIMEOUT!...I granted the time out.

D2 Observer said to me that once B had the ball ready for throw in..NO Timeout should have been granted to Coach A. Timeout needs to be called when ball is thru the hoop.

Once the ball is at B's disposal a request by Team A for a timeout should not be granted.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:27am
C'mon man!!

Although by rule you shouldn't grant the time out, you should anticipate they may want to call a timeout and check quickly with the coach. If he really wants it after the basket he'll be jumping up and down signaling as soon as it goes through the hoop.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 01:02am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

In practice, in this situation, timeouts are granted really late, really often, and this is something which should be addressed more often, in my opinion.

Conversely, I don't think I have ever heard a complaint on this issue. So either this is not a big deal, or, more likely, most people don't know the rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Although by rule you shouldn't grant the time out, you should anticipate they may want to call a timeout and check quickly with the coach. If he really wants it after the basket he'll be jumping up and down signaling as soon as it goes through the hoop.
What do you mean by rule? By rule, either team can be granted a timeout until the ball is at the disposal of the throw-in team. That usually occurs when the team has the ball in their possession out of bounds.

Usually what occurs is the coach WILL ask for the timeout before the ball is at the disposal.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 01:12am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What do you mean by rule? By rule, either team can be granted a timeout until the ball is at the disposal of the throw-in team. That usually occurs when the team has the ball in their possession out of bounds.

Usually what occurs is the coach WILL ask for the timeout before the ball is at the disposal.
I meant that the rule says the defense can no longer legally request a timeout once the ball is at the disposal of the offense. I know they both can request one until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. In the OP the thrower is OOB but has not thrown the ball in yet.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I meant that the rule says the defense can no longer legally request a timeout once the ball is at the disposal of the offense. I know they both can request one until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. In the OP the thrower is OOB but has not thrown the ball in yet.
Yup, you're correct. My bad.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Translation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Once the ball is at B's disposal a request by Team A for a timeout should not be granted.
Once you start counting five seconds, then it's too late to grant the request.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 07:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
This is really good advice.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

which translation?

Originally Posted by billyu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Once you start counting five seconds, then it's too late to grant the request.
I agree, the American Standard Version is easier to read than the King James Version. Some of us still prefer the older translation though.