The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Why?

We bounce to the thrower on the sidelines & in the backcourt, but hand the ball on the frontcourt endline. Working with a younger official last night that asked "why?"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just smack him on the back of the head. He'll stop asking dumb questions.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

You're standing closer to the thrower there, the other players are closer, and a bounce might be awkward.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
We bounce to the thrower on the sidelines & in the backcourt, but hand the ball on the frontcourt endline. Working with a younger official last night that asked "why?"
I was told by a veteran official it was to ensure we box in the players. Allow ourselves a good angle at the thrower-in and any pressure that might be coming.

I think I read this backwards. I was thinking why do we bounce the ball on the sidelines.

On the frontcourt, we hand it in because a bounce has more opportunity to be fumbled and since the defense is likely to be right there, this could lead to all kinds of messes.

Last edited by Toren; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 10:27am.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just smack him on the back of the head. He'll stop asking dumb questions.
Seriously though, speaking with Tony Brothers over the summer he said you guys do alot of things but have no idea "why" you're doing it. He said get a better understanding of "why" certain things are in place, so you can referee plays better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You're standing closer to the thrower there, the other players are closer, and a bounce might be awkward.
Is this the only reason?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I was told by a veteran official it was to ensure we box in the players. Allow ourselves a good angle at the thrower-in and any pressure that might be coming.
Yup, and on the baseline we hand it to the thrower because there are a lot of players around and you don't want the ball going loose.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Yup, and on the baseline we hand it to the thrower because there are a lot of players around and you don't want the ball going loose.
When I gave this explanation, the bright eyed, bushy tailed youngster said, that can happen on the sidelines & b/c with pressure too.

I told him I'd get him a better answer...
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 10:53am
Back from the DL

It was explained to me that a kid making a frontcourt endline throw-in has enough to think about with his close surroundings. Catching your bounce pass just adds another thing. Since there's typically (though not always) less pressure on sideline and backcourt endline throw-ins, a bounce pass is acceptable.

There are a few on here that say their local association only allows bounce passes on sideline throw-ins, so check your local listings.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Just to cause trouble...

I officiate - among other things - girls' basketball in NY State where we use modified NCAA women's rules and mechanics. Under the NYSGBOA, here is the mechanic for administering frontcourt endline throw-ins on the table side of the floor:

If the throw-in is to be administered by the lead on the tableside half of the floor the lead administers the throw-in by handing or bouncing the ball to the thrower-in and then backing across the lane. This is being done to facilitate communication with the sideline

Now try explaining to poor new guy why, in NFHS, we hand the ball to the throw-in team for frontcourt enline throw-ins!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

So you purposefully use a weak side lead? Defeats the purpose of having three, IMO.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I officiate - among other things - girls' basketball in NY State where we use modified NCAA women's rules and mechanics.
That's so far from NCAAW mechanics that you could just as easily say "we use modified football mechanics"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's so far from NCAAW mechanics that you could just as easily say "we use modified football mechanics"
To clarify, those are our 2-person mechanics. The 3-person mechanics are just as they would be for an NCAA Women's game.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught it had to do with the amount of pressure. Pressure applied, hand rather than bounce in the bc and sidelines. Always hand on endline throwins in the FC. With that said here is the NF Basketball Officials Manual 11-13. Page 34. .

"T may bounce any sideline or end line throw-in (depends on defensive pressure)"

As to specifics; less likely to fumble. When handing the ball get out quickly and with distance to open up the view and proper angles.