The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Clock management in high school game (no shot clock)

In a game tonight there was 4 seconds left when teem A stole the ball. The player proceeded down court and was called for a traveling violation. The whistle blew and the clock was stopped with .9 seconds left. The coach from team B complained that too much time ran off the clock. The officials conferred and the clock was reset to 3.9 seconds. First of all the officials were not looking at the clock and had no clue. Correct me if I am wrong, but in high school can an official add time like that? There is no way he would know wat to reset it too.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 01:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorrflv View Post
In a game tonight there was 4 seconds left when teem A stole the ball. The player proceeded down court and was called for a traveling violation. The whistle blew and the clock was stopped with .9 seconds left. The coach from team B complained that too much time ran off the clock. The officials conferred and the clock was reset to 3.9 seconds. First of all the officials were not looking at the clock and had no clue. Correct me if I am wrong, but in high school can an official add time like that? There is no way he would know wat to reset it too.
You're wrong.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 05:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yes, officials can correct timing errors.

When resetting any clock, they should have definite knowledge of what to set it to.

Especially in cases at the end of a quarter, the non-calling official should look at the clock when his partner sounds the whistle. (You're supposed to do it all game long, but I understand if > 50% don't do this.)

But to only take off 0.1 seconds certainly isn't correct. You can't catch and travel within 1/10th of a second.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Channeling my inner Rut here, but I suspect there's mote to this story.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's 5-10-1

The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock.

...and 5-10-2

If the referee determines that the clock malfunctioned or was not started/stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an official's count or other official information may be used to make a correction.

I agree with JugglingRef, it's hard to believe 1/10 of a second ran off the clock on a travel.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Channeling my inner Rut here, but I suspect there's mote to this story.
I agree. There might even be more to the story as well.....
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I agree. There might even be more to the story as well.....
My smart phone isn't always so smart.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all the officials were not looking at the clock and had no clue.
How do you know that? Were you looking at their eyes right when the whistle blew so you knew that they were not looking at the clock? If so, how were you able to watch all the officials' eyes at the same time?