The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Why I Hate Jump Balls ???

NFHS 6-3 JUMP-BALL ADMINISTRATION
ART. 2 . . . When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not:
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.
ART. 5 . . . Until the tossed ball is touched by one or both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not:
b. Take a position in any occupied space.

NFHS 6-1 LIVE BALL
ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes live when:
a. On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand(s).

I blew a call last night, but I'm not sure how I blew it. I just know that I blew it. I was the umpire and my partner is getting ready to toss the ball. I noticed something odd happening with the nonjumpers, on the jump ball circle, on my side, to my right. A-1, who had previously been in his own occupied space, moved to his left, in front of B-1, who was also in his own occupied space. While I was trying to process this in my mind, my partner tossed the ball, and we played on.

At halftime, and after the game, we discussed my options, and came up with three:

1) Ignore and play on. This was the option I took, which is the incorrect option, by the rule, and by the intent and purpose of the rule as well. I wasn't ready, I couldn't process this quickly, and blew the call.

2) Blow my whistle and reset the nonjumpers, reminding them to stay in their own space.

3) Blow my whistle, call a violation on A-1, and give the ball to Team B for a throwin.

The reason I'm torn between the second, or third, option is I can't come up with a definition of "ready" in 6-3-2-b. As the umpire, how do I know when my partner is ready? Whistle? Normal arm movements used by the referee when tossing? "Ready?" question answered by the captains? Also, If I were to chose the third option, that means that I would be calling a violation during a dead ball, right? Comments would be appreciated.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 12:45pm.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Know That I Blew The Call ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Whistle.
For the second (reset), or third (dead ball violation) option?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The reason I'm torn between the second, or third, option is I can't come up with a definition of "ready" in 6-3-2-b. As the umpire, how do I know when my partner is ready? Whistle? Normal arm movements used by the referee when tossing? "Ready?" question answered by the captains? Also, If I were to chose the third option, that means that I would be calling a violation during a dead ball, right? Comments would be appreciated.
I go with the "Ready" acknowledgement by the captains.

When I'm the R, I explicitly say "Hold your spots around the circle" when I'm ready to toss.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
When I'm the R, I explicitly say "Hold your spots around the circle" when I'm ready to toss.
Except that they don't need to do this. There are plenty of opportunities to move around or off the circle.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 6-3 JUMP-BALL ADMINISTRATION
ART. 2 . . . When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not:
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.
ART. 5 . . . Until the tossed ball is touched by one or both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not:
b. Take a position in any occupied space.

NFHS 6-1 LIVE BALL
ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes live when:
a. On a jump ball, the tossed ball leaves the referee’s hand(s).

I blew a call last night, but I'm not sure how I blew it. I just know that I blew it. I was the umpire and my partner is getting ready to toss the ball. I noticed something odd happening with the nonjumpers, on the jump ball circle, on my side, to my right. A-1, who had previously been in his own occupied space, moved to his left, in front of B-1, who was also in his own occupied space. While I was trying to process this in my mind, my partner tossed the ball, and we played on.

At halftime, and after the game, we discussed my options, and came up with three:

1) Ignore and play on. This was the option I took, which is the incorrect option, by the rule, and by the intent and purpose of the rule as well. I wasn't ready, I couldn't process this quickly, and blew the call.

2) Blow my whistle and reset the nonjumpers, reminding them to stay in their own space.

3) Blow my whistle, call a violation on A-1, and give the ball to Team B for a throwin.

Billy:

I never have this problem because I always toss the ball. Oh, wait a moment I am too lazy to toss the ball and in a 3-man crew I am too lazy to be the U1 because that means I have expend energy to chop the clock in.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. WAY TO GO STEELERS!!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio