The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:34pm
Back from the DL

Achilles Injury

I strained my left Achilles tendon last night (JV boys), with about a minute to go in the third quarter. I went to my partner, and told her I could finish the quarter (which I did), but it would probably be wise to let the varsity officials finish the game. After a little delay for them to dress quickly, the V crew hit to floor to work 3-man with my partner.

Of course, it turned out to be a 2-point game decided by last-second free throws.

The doc says no games for at least a week, and take Nabumetone twice daily, while putting heat to the area. Could be worse, but man, do I hate crutches.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just because they say a week......

I would encourage you to take your time and let your body heal. Rushing yourself back can lead to further issues and injury.

Be careful and good luck!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Heat?? I'd be careful with that.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Get well soon!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Well, And Get Back On The Court, Soon ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The doc says no games for at least a week,
So now we all can look forward to more frequent posts from you for about a week. I better buy some more popcorn.

And their prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make them well. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results. (James 5:15-16)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 05:58pm
I miss being on the floor

It sucks to lose games, but your health is most important.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I strained my left Achilles tendon last night (JV boys), with about a minute to go in the third quarter. I went to my partner, and told her I could finish the quarter (which I did), but it would probably be wise to let the varsity officials finish the game. After a little delay for them to dress quickly, the V crew hit to floor to work 3-man with my partner.

Of course, it turned out to be a 2-point game decided by last-second free throws.

The doc says no games for at least a week, and take Nabumetone twice daily, while putting heat to the area. Could be worse, but man, do I hate crutches.
Take care of yourself! I was reffing an Alumni game a while ago and one of the guys ripped his Achilles Tendon in half!! Ouch!!!!! 6 months recovery, guy was under 30.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

insurance

Quote:

You may be able to receive compensation for games missed if you're out more than a week or two. Check with your local/state association. You should be covered by NFHS. Good luck and get healthy soon.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
You may be able to receive compensation for games missed if you're out more than a week or two. Check with your local/state association. You should be covered by NFHS. Good luck and get healthy soon.
That is probably liability insurance only, not loss of game fee coverage. That sort of coverage can be had but it is probably extra.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

My first game of the season, I torn (minor) my calf muscle. Went to the doctor, he told me to take sometime off. I took three weeks off no running or anything. I applied ice and heat twice a day for the entire three weeks. Although, I feel better and slowly getting back into it.Take your time and get better.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is probably liability insurance only, not loss of game fee coverage. That sort of coverage can be had but it is probably extra.
Liability as well; but if your state association covers your NFHS membership you should have loss of game fee coverage. I tore a hamstring several years ago during a game, was out two full weeks and the Dr. recommended not working back to back games for awhile when I returned. If I remember correctly there was something like a two week deductible starting from the date of injury so I didn't get reimbursed for the games missed the first two weeks but the remaining games I missed due to the injury I was reimbursed. Again, check with your state association.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
In the past five years, most insurance policies have dropped offering that coverage. The NFHS covereage no longer covers lost game fees.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 12:27am.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 07:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Borden Perlman ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
In the past five years, most insurance policies have dropped offering that coverage. The NFHS covereage no longer covers lost game fees.
Optional IAABO insurance through Borden Perlman covers lost game fees after a seven day waiting period, up to $50.00 per game, $2000.00 maximum payout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:03pm
Back from the DL

I appreciate the well wishes, crew. I'm not going to claim anything or even seek such insurance. If I were doing this primarily for the money (although I likely wouldn't be if I didn't get paid), I shouldn't be doing this.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Man, you may be lucky. Achilles injuries can be much worse. Glad you didn't have a blow-out. Good luck and fast healing!