The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ROP, twice in one game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86561-rop-twice-one-game.html)

bainsey Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:17pm

ROP, twice in one game

Last week, competitve MS girls.

Start of the second quarter, V's ball, my partner is the R. The second warning horn sounds, and both teams are still huddling. My partner looks at me, I nod, and he sets the ball down and starts counting.

Team V doesn't have a clue, but Team H comes out of the huddle, sees the ball, and high-tails it to the opposite side to pick it up. Tweet, DOG warning, and V has been bailed out.

Cut to the third quarter, 30-second time-out, V's ball, opposite sideline. H is on the floor in time, but V is still huddling at the second buzzer. This time, I perform the ROP, but this time, the right time sprints to beat the five-second count.

The humorous part was a loudmouth in the second row who didn't like the ROP one bit. (Tweet, red ball) "Give them a warning, give them a warning." (Ball set.) That's crap! That's CRAP!" I wonder how he and his team missed both warning horns, both times.

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:29pm

Not that its a biggie, but did you tell the coaches in pregame that we expect them to be ready to play on the 2nd horn?

Did your partner tell the home to leave the ball alone before they got to it OOB?

Raymond Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:32pm

1) Team V should have a clue. Get over to the huddle and loudly announce "2nd horn, ball's being put in play".

2) Anytime the ball is put down for a RPP, the administering official should loudly announce "White ball" or whatever color should be getting the ball.

JMHO based on listening to some old-timers.

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 816315)
2) Anytime the ball is put down for a RPP, the administering official should loudly announce "White ball" or whatever color should be getting the ball.

We should also sound the whistle prior to beginning the ROP.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 816315)
1) Team V should have a clue. Get over to the huddle and loudly announce "2nd horn, ball's being put in play".

JMHO based on listening to some old-timers.

#3...and sound the whistle extra long (maybe a tweet-tweeeeeeeeet ) and loud before doing so.

rockyroad Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816316)
We should also sound the whistle prior to beginning the ROP.

Was just going to ask if the administering official sounded his/her whistle before putting the ball on the floor and starting a count...that's part of the RPP.

Raymond Tue Jan 24, 2012 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 816317)
#3...and sound the whistle extra long (maybe a tweet-tweeeeeeeeet ) and loud before doing so.

Forgot to mention that part also.

jTheUmp Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816313)
Not that its a biggie, but did you tell the coaches in pregame that we expect them to be ready to play on the 2nd horn?

This is part of my pregame talk with the coaches:

"Remember, the first horn ends the timeout, and we're going to put the ball in play immediately after the second horn."

Then, when the coach protests after I use ROP, I can simply say "we talked about in pregame coach, remember?"

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 816325)

"Remember, the first horn ends the timeout, and we're going to put the ball in play immediately after the second horn."

Then, when the coach protests after I use ROP, I can simply say "we talked about in pregame coach, remember?"

+1

They cannot claim anything is "unfair" when we lay it out for them & then follow through.
"Coach, you do remember our pregame conversation?" :D

tophat67 Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:29pm

Shouldn't the opposing team touching the ball out of bounds be a technical foul?

Raymond Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat67 (Post 816327)
Shouldn't the opposing team touching the ball out of bounds be a technical foul?

No, because the ball is not in possession of the thrower nor being passed to a teammate outside of the boundary line. So it would just be a DOG for crossing the throw-in boundary-line plane.

rockyroad Tue Jan 24, 2012 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 816325)

Again - please correct that to say "and we're going to sound the whistle immediately after the second horn and then put the ball in play."

The first horn is a warning that the timeout is about to end - it does not end the timeout. They still have 15 seconds...

just another ref Tue Jan 24, 2012 04:40pm

The pre-game conference is not for explaining individual rules, including this one.

jmo

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 816337)
The pre-game conference is not for explaining individual rules, including this one.

jmo

I dont think us saying, "have them ready to play on the 2nd horn" is explaining anything.

Welpe Tue Jan 24, 2012 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 816336)
The first horn is a warning that the timeout is about to end - it does not end the timeout. They still have 15 seconds...

Agreed. They are entitled to their full time.