The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

More aptly, Jim Burr can get away with it.
Exactly. Recently worked with a Crew Chief who in our pregame told me and my partner, in front of the observer, that there are things he can get away with that we can't. That we (me and my P) need to do things the right way if we want to advance.

It's just a reality of life.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Exactly. Recently worked with a Crew Chief who in our pregame told me and my partner, in front of the observer, that there are things he can get away with that we can't. That we (me and my P) need to do things the right way if we want to advance.

Learned this the hard way when I first started many moons ago....

The instructor for our rookie class hammered us on proper signals and mechanics for two weeks. About a month later, I observed him working a high level HS V game with some of the sloppiest signals I had ever seen....When I asked him about it after the game, I was told in no uncertain terms that when I had 20+ years and three state championship games under my belt, I could question his mechanics and signals....

Lost a bit of respect for him that day, but learned that do as I say, not as I do is the norm.

I also decided that day that when I got to the point of training other officials, I was going to do it on the court/field the way I taught it...seems to me to give you a bit more credibility....
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

+1

The difference is that everyone knows the big dogs know what they're doing. The evidence that we know what we're doing starts with whether we use proper mechanics.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Lost a bit of respect for him that day, but learned that do as I say, not as I do is the norm.
Why? He can clearly referee with those achievements and he was trying to make you a better official than he was by having you do the things correctly that he doesn't in additional to all the other stuff he was teaching.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why? He can clearly referee with those achievements and he was trying to make you a better official than he was by having you do the things correctly that he doesn't in additional to all the other stuff he was teaching.
There's a difference between having an attitude of "this is why this works for me but won't work for you," and "don't you dare question me, rookie."

The former I respect. The latter I don't.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
There's a difference between having an attitude of "this is why this works for me but won't work for you," and "don't you dare question me, rookie."

The former I respect. The latter I don't.
Sometimes people need to be put in their place. And if you wanted to know why someone does not do it the exactly the way they teach, you might learn more by watching then always have to confront someone.

Look officiating is not something where we are robots. I know people want to make it that way, but that is not the case. And I have yet to know anyone hired for officiating just because they have perfect mechanics. And I have yet to seen anyone held back for those reasons either.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sometimes people need to be put in their place.
Agreed. Sometimes those people are rookies, and sometimes they're veterans.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes...he could referee...he was also an arrogant SOB....

It's just that mecahnics and signals were hammered so hard at that time and it was implied that sharp mechanics and signals and rule knowledge were the path to high level officiating, then to learn that the "intangibles" were just as, if not more important in your advancement didn't sit well with me.

I understand now why it is the way it is, but didn't get it at that time.

Part of it is also personal with me...I don't feel comfortable teaching and instructing a certain method and then not using that method when I'm on the court or field. I feel that it undermines my credibility as a mentor and instructor.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes...he could referee...he was also an arrogant SOB....

It's just that mecahnics and signals were hammered so hard at that time and it was implied that sharp mechanics and signals and rule knowledge were the path to high level officiating, then to learn that the "intangibles" were just as, if not more important in your advancement didn't sit well with me.

I understand now why it is the way it is, but didn't get it at that time.

Part of it is also personal with me...I don't feel comfortable teaching and instructing a certain method and then not using that method when I'm on the court or field. I feel that it undermines my credibility as a mentor and instructor.
Did you have a friendship with the instructor or was he someone you just knew professionally? You said it was a rookie camp. Then a month later you observe him working a game with sloppy mechanics. If you were just some random rookie official he might now have appreciated being "questioned" about what he does on the court.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:49pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sometimes people need to be put in their place...
Peace
Interesting response. What place would that be for a fellow, probably junior, official?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

HS or College (D1, 2, or 3)? Was this your lone D1 contest so far this season?
Can I assume that it was said as a matter of fact?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Can I assume that it was said as a matter of fact?
It was stated matter of fact and to help us, not out of arrogance or to big-time us.

Check your PM's.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 27, 2012 at 09:43am.