The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Point of Interruption ?

Classic case of Scoreboard and Table not in sync
  1. Team A has just committed a foul and the scoreboard states Team A now has 5 team fouls
  2. Team B now takes the ball out of bounds and the throw in is completed
  3. As Team has Team Control, the scorer's table realizes that Team A actually has 7 team fouls
  4. The scorer's table tries to get the officials' attention w/no success
  5. Scenario #1: Team member B1 now takes a shot and as the ball is in the air the 'horn sounds' to get the officials attention to alert them to the 'correctable error' that Team B is now in the Bonus....Results: Horn does not 'deaden the ball'....(a) if the ball goes in the basket, the basket counts and the pt of interruption is Team A taking the 1:1 w/no one lined up and after the shots Team B gets the ball. (b) if the shot misses, then the teams line up for the correctable error free throws by Team A and play at that point of interruption off of the results of the free throws.
  6. Scenario #2: Same scenario as # 1 only now its the official blowing the whistle rather than the 'horn sounding'. Results: all the same?

Got it correct in both Scenarios? Neither the whistle nor the horn causes the ball to become 'dead'?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Need to fix the Team Letters in your scenario, right now they don't jibe.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

CORRECTION: Pt. of Interruption...Team Designations

Classic case of Scoreboard and Table not in sync

Apologies, for the mis-identification of the teams.... See the corrections below....
  1. Team A has just committed a foul and the scoreboard states Team A now has 5 team fouls
  1. Team B now takes the ball out of bounds and the throw in is completed
  1. As Team B has Team Control, the scorer's table realizes that Team A actually has 7 team fouls
  1. The scorer's table tries to get the officials' attention w/no success
Scenario #1: Team member B1 now takes a shot and as the ball is in the air the 'horn sounds' to get the officials attention to alert them to the 'correctable error' that Team B is now in the Bonus....Results: Horn does not 'deaden the ball'....(a) if the ball goes in the basket, the basket counts and the pt of interruption is Team B taking the 1:1 w/no one lined up and after the shots Team A gets the ball for a throw in. (b) if the shot misses, then the teams line up for the correctable error free throws by Team B and play at that point of interruption off of the results of the free throws by Team B since Team B did not lose possession of the ball.
Scenario #2: Same scenario as # 1 only now its the official blowing the whistle rather than the 'horn sounding'. Results: all the same?

Got it correct in both Scenarios? Neither the whistle nor the horn causes the ball to become 'dead'?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Scenario 1: correct for "a" if play is stopped after the basket. Can't answer for "b" because all you've said is the horn sounds while the ball is in flight. What happened after the try missed? Whistle before possession or after possession and if after possession, who gained possession.

Scenario 2: correct for both.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

CORRECTION: Pt. of Interruption...Team Designations

BadNewsRef.....agreed here are the further points for (b) and thanks....

Scenario #1: Team member B1 now takes a shot and as the ball is in the air the 'horn sounds' to get the officials attention to alert them to the 'correctable error' that Team B is now in the Bonus....Results: Horn does not 'deaden the ball'....(a) if the ball goes in the basket, the basket counts and the pt of interruption is Team A taking the 1:1 w/no one lined up and after the shots Team B gets the ball. (b) if the shot misses and the referee blows the whistle to stop play - (i) Team A gets the rebound - then Team B is awarded the 1:1 w/no players on the line and Team A gets the 'spot' throw-in after the shots (ii) OR Team B gets the rebound - then the teams line up for the correctable error free throws by Team B and play at that point of interruption off of the results of the free throws.
Scenario #2: Same scenario as # 1 only now its the official blowing the whistle rather than the 'horn sounding'. Results: all the same?

Let me know if (b.i) and (b.ii) make sense? Thanks for asking the clarification
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

b(i) -- If the second FT is made, then A can run the end-line. I think.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I would think in b(i) the results of the free throws would not effect the throw-in. The throw-in would be from where Team A had the ball once the play was stopped. Let's just say that in b(i), Team A controls the rebound and dribbles the ball up the court. Once in their Front court, Team B knocks the ball OOB. Then the table informs the officials of the mistake. The play is still is still correctable. B1 shoots free throws w/o anyone lining up and Team A get the ball POI. Throw-in in their Front court.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
BadNewsRef.....agreed here are the further points for (b) and thanks....

Scenario #1: Team member B1 now takes a shot and as the ball is in the air the 'horn sounds' to get the officials attention to alert them to the 'correctable error' that Team B is now in the Bonus....Results: Horn does not 'deaden the ball'....(a) if the ball goes in the basket, the basket counts and the pt of interruption is Team A taking the 1:1 w/no one lined up and after the shots Team B gets the ball. (b) if the shot misses and the referee blows the whistle to stop play - (i) Team A gets the rebound - then Team B is awarded the 1:1 w/no players on the line and Team A gets the 'spot' throw-in after the shots (ii) OR Team B gets the rebound - then the teams line up for the correctable error free throws by Team B and play at that point of interruption off of the results of the free throws.

Let me know if (b.i) and (b.ii) make sense? Thanks for asking the clarification
If the official sounds the whistle while the try is in flight and the try is not successful, the POI rule forces the game to be resumed with the AP arrow after correcting the error of failing to award the 1-1. This possibility is another one besides Team A gets the rebound or Team B gets the rebound.
I would have the lane cleared for the 1-1 and then resume with the AP arrow from the nearest OOB spot on the end line.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Point of Interruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If the official sounds the whistle while the try is in flight and the try is not successful, the POI rule forces the game to be resumed with the AP arrow after correcting the error of failing to award the 1-1. This possibility is another one besides Team A gets the rebound or Team B gets the rebound.
I would have the lane cleared for the 1-1 and then resume with the AP arrow from the nearest OOB spot on the end line.

I would tend to agree on this one...especially since if there is a 'miss' on the shot as the whistle is blown then the results of the 'missed shot' - i.e. who gets possession is immaterial. The AP would then come into play after the 1:1 is implemented for Team B.

The question is - would the horn be treated the same way? I would think so, especially if the referee were to follow up the horn with the whistle so in reality there really would be no 'rebound' possession in this scenario on a 'miss'? For the most part the 2 teams probably would cease activity w/the whistle being blown.

Agreed ?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
I would tend to agree on this one...especially since if there is a 'miss' on the shot as the whistle is blown then the results of the 'missed shot' - i.e. who gets possession is immaterial. The AP would then come into play after the 1:1 is implemented for Team B.

The question is - would the horn be treated the same way? I would think so, especially if the referee were to follow up the horn with the whistle so in reality there really would be no 'rebound' possession in this scenario on a 'miss'? For the most part the 2 teams probably would cease activity w/the whistle being blown.

Agreed ?
The horn means nothing without a whistle. If an official does not recognize the horn, the game just continues as normal without a stoppage. See Case Book 2.11.3
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Point of Interruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The horn means nothing without a whistle. If an official does not recognize the horn, the game just continues as normal without a stoppage. See Case Book 2.11.3
Thanks much for the insights and Case Book Reference.