The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who makes the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86472-who-makes-call.html)

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 06:56am

Who makes the call?

Girls varsity -- 2 man.
Ball at A1 top of the key.
Lead is under basket left side, trail is opposite table side.
Ball swings to table side wing, then down to A2 for a spot up 3.

Ball goes in, trail signals 3, (and I don't know why but also verbals "3" to table).

Lead sees the score changed by 3 points and blows whistle as B team is dribbling in the backcourt. Changes trails call to a two. No discussion between officials.

CoachP alomost got his first T since 1999. Did I have a legit beef?

Freddy Mon Jan 23, 2012 07:17am

Pass on This One

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815878)
Girls varsity -- 2 man.

Ball goes in, trail signals 3, (and I don't know why but also verbals "3" to table).

Lead sees the score changed by 3 points and blows whistle as B team is dribbling in the backcourt. Changes trails call to a two. No discussion between officials.

Better bitter battles to bite off. As described, this was lead's call. And if my trail in that instance came up with a signal and I knew it was incorrect, I'd overrule him, too. Followed by having speaks with him at halftime regarding why he's guessing at something like that.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:02am

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

In most (but not all) areas, a 2-to-a-3 or a 3-to-a-2 is changed without discussion.

If the shot was from below the FT line extended on L's side, it was L's call.

jTheUmp Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:24am

Lead's call all the way. Good job by L to catch the error.

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:37am

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

What would your beef have been? What would you have argued?

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:57am

My beef was lead changed the call from behind left side lane and the three was from the right side corner. That was the side the trail was on, in front of home team bench. I saw a "3" from visitors bench and the trail saw "3". We had the best view. ;)

Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was...oh well.

Plus, we were 8-0 until that night and we were getting our you-know-what's handed to us...

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:57am

Coach, did you have a good view? Are you 100% sure the L was wrong? Or were you just arguing because the call was changed?

A lot of guys (and gals) pregame this, and will explicitly discuss having it handled exactly this way.

"If you see me get a 3 pt shot wrong, just blow the whistle and fix it. No need to discuss."

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:59am

Ah, I see, the shot was from T's side, not L's. The only guy I know who's sneaking a peak at this shot from L is tref. :D

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815911)
Coach, did you have a good view? Are you 100% sure the L was wrong? Or were you just arguing because the call was changed?

Both!

I am 100% sure, trail solidified it with signal AND verbal to the table as he passed by, so I assuming HE was 100%....

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815912)
Ah, I see, the shot was from T's side, not L's.

Yes. (Maybe my OP wasn't all that clear?)

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815915)

Any film available, tape dont lie.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815915)

It was clear, but for some reason I got confused when reading it. After you repeated it, I re-read and it seemed clear.

As tref notes, too, I'd check the tape. It's possible the L was right and the T (and you) were some how obstructed. Either way, I'll bet they had a nice little chat in the locker room.

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815910)
My beef was lead changed the call from behind left side lane and the three was from the right side corner. That was the side the trail was on, in front of home team bench. I saw a "3" from visitors bench and the trail saw "3". We had the best view. ;)

Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was...oh well.

Plus, we were 8-0 until that night and we were getting our you-know-what's handed to us...

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

The bolded part is confusing me then. Was the trail "opposite the table"? That's how I read it.

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 815923)
The bolded part is confusing me then. Was the trail "opposite the table"? That's how I read it.

Ah, there it is...!

Trail is tableside (right side). Lead is underbasket. (leftside)

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815928)
Ah, there it is...!

Trail is tableside <s>(right side)</s>. Lead is <s>underbasket</s> opposite. <s>(leftside)</s>

Less confusing this way.