The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who makes the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86472-who-makes-call.html)

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815878)
Girls varsity -- 2 man.
Ball at A1 top of the key.
Lead is under basket left side, trail is opposite table side.
Ball swings to table side wing, then down to A2 for a spot up 3.

Ball goes in, trail signals 3, (and I don't know why but also verbals "3" to table).

Lead sees the score changed by 3 points and blows whistle as B team is dribbling in the backcourt. Changes trails call to a two. No discussion between officials.

CoachP alomost got his first T since 1999. Did I have a legit beef?

The Lead should also have seen that the T signalled a successful 3-point field goal. As soon as that happens, whistle the play dead and change the call to a 2-pointer.

Try not to give a subsequent Team B throw-in on the end line without the ability to run the end line. (This can be done one of two ways.)

SAJ Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815935)
Less confusing this way.

Trail is table side is all that needs stating. We know where the L is going to be.

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 815983)
Trail is table side is all that needs stating. We know where the L is going to be.

Not necessarily.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 815983)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 815985)
Not necessarily.

Yep, L could slide over; especially if the ball is in that corner. Although if he does, he's likely got his back to the 3 pt line.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:05pm

If they want the L strongside, pay for the 3rd!

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 815988)

Disagree, but we've had this discussion before. :D

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:12pm

Quote:

All 10 on that side, you still standing weakside? I don't work much 2 person, but that's a bunch for your trail to deal with solo.

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Not true as this is a mechanic, not about who pays for the officials which in at least my case have nothing to do with each other.

Peace

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:51pm

Quote:

Aren't you the one that always preaches the crew needs to get the call right? :)

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815992)
Disagree, but we've had this discussion before. :D

True :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 815994)
All 10 on that side, you still standing weakside? I don't work much 2 person, but that's a bunch for your trail to deal with solo.

Where did I say that I stayed weakside?? Neither do I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 815995)
Not true as this is a mechanic, not about who pays for the officials which in at least my case have nothing to do with each other.

Peace

Its optional here, well, at least in the 2 person games I work it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 816000)
Aren't you the one that always preaches the crew needs to get the call right? :)

I dont "preach" anything & I dont work many 2 person games either.
Pinching the paint provides a great look AND you are that much closer to your sideline responsibilities.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:25pm

If you disagree with the option in general, that's one thing. But to refuse to cross simply because you want a third official (which is what your statement implies) is purposefully giving them less effort than is required. And some games just don't need 3, which further goes against your point.

I don't cross as quickly as in 3, but if the action is all over there, I'm moving to get a better angle; especially if the T has to have eyes on the ball outside the paint.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816004)
I dont work many 2 person games either.

Well that's the world I'm in and I'm not giving less than my best effort. They want us flexing strong side here when we can.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816004)
Where did I say that I stayed weakside??

You more certainly implied it.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:33pm

I think I gave more than one reason, sometimes we read/hear what we want.

- Pinching the paint provides a good look
- That method gives you a closer route back to your sideline responsibilities

Perhaps my thoughts differ because I didnt start officiating in that era. When I came in it was 3 & that is what todays game deserves.

So, in college & pro games how do they decide which games "need" 3 & which ones dont? Ohhhhh they dont, every game is officiated with a crew of 3 for consistencies sake!

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816009)
Perhaps my thoughts differ because I didnt start officiating in that era. When I came in it was 3 & that is what todays game deserves.

I only started three years ago so I'm most certainly of this era. There are far too many subvarsity and small classification varsity games here with two officials to insist that it is three or nothing. We'd never play any games if that were the case.