The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who makes the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86472-who-makes-call.html)

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816004)
Its optional here, well, at least in the 2 person games I work it is.

I did not say it was mandatory or you would lose all games if you did not use it. And considering that 2 Person is only really worked at the lower level, then this is mostly a non-issue when it really counts.

Quote:

I dont "preach" anything & I dont work many 2 person games either.
Pinching the paint provides a great look AND you are that much closer to your sideline responsibilities.

Well I am in a training capacity so we teach this as an option. If someone chooses not to do it, no one is going to be upset about it. It is used and usually very rare.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816009)
I think I gave more than one reason, sometimes we read/hear what we want.

- Pinching the paint provides a good look
- That method gives you a closer route back to your sideline responsibilities

Perhaps my thoughts differ because I didnt start officiating in that era. When I came in it was 3 & that is what todays game deserves.

So, in college & pro games how do they decide which games "need" 3 & which ones dont? Ohhhhh they dont, every game is officiated with a crew of 3 for consistencies sake!

I don't think there is an "era" as far as 2-man/3-man unless you were dropped directly into college and pro officiating.

You did say if they want a 2nd official strongside then pay for a 3rd. Well that's not going to happen. And pinching the paint does not give you as good a look as actually coming all the way over. Pinching the paint is still going to leave you stacked to the post play that is happening on the other side paint.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:39pm

I hear ya! I guess it boils down to, you doing whats best for you to improve & advance in the area that you're in.

And me doing the same where I am.

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:46pm

Quote:

Where did I say that I stayed weakside??

I didn't state that you did, I believe it was more in the form of a question based on an obvious scenario in which you should be strongside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816009)
... sometimes we read/hear what we want.

No doubt. :)

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816013)
I hear ya! I guess it boils down to, you doing whats best for you to improve & advance in the area that you're in.

And me doing the same where I am.

I do not disagree, but you made the point that this was based on not hiring a 3rd in replacement of what is being taught. That was really the only reason I commented. I do not hardly see a 2 Person game outside of the summer, so this hardly comes into my thinking other than when I am observing or working games myself. The point is that who teaches this has nothing to do with who hires officials.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2012 04:59pm

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815910)
Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3505/3...67305d15_m.jpg

Freddy Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:04pm

Better Than Three-Person?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816062)

According to your illustration your state must be assigning four-person crews out there, eh? Or is that an IAABO thing? ;)

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:13pm

Maybe in a small corner?

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:23pm

And No Switching, Ever ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 816063)
According to your illustration your state must be assigning four-person crews out there.

This is the four person game that we only use with the old guys. No running. Just stay out of the way of the players when you're at one of the trail positions. It's not just in my little corner of Connecticut, it's statewide. We've got a lot of elderly officials in Connecticut. When we say, "Stay in your primary", we really mean it.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 23, 2012 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816070)
This is the four person game that we only use with the old guys. No running. Just stay out of the way of the players when you're at one of the trail positions. It's not just in my little corner of Connecticut, it's statewide. We've got a lot of elderly officials in Connecticut. When we say, "Stay in your primary", we really mean it.

"Tonight's officials are ___, ___, ___, and ___. Together, they have over 220 years of experience!"

just another ref Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 816011)
And considering that 2 Person is only really worked at the lower level........

What is "the lower level"?

We have some 3A and 4A VB games two man.

JRutledge Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 816144)
What is "the lower level"?

We have some 3A and 4A VB games two man.

Anything that is not varsity is "lower level."

Peace

CoachP Tue Jan 24, 2012 06:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816062)

That picture is exactly my OP Billy!

So in my OP I did have a legit beef?

My girl nailed a 3 from the orange corner in front of the visitors bench, trail signalled "3", also, per my bookkeeper, he turned to them and announced "3" before going up the floor. Lead stopped play with ball in B's backcourt when he noticed the score and told them to change it to a "2".

BillyMac Tue Jan 24, 2012 07:06am

Geriatric Crew ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 816077)
"Tonight's officials are Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., and Mark Padgett. Together, they have over 220 years of experience!"

Fixed it for you.

Adam Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 816181)
That picture is exactly my OP Billy!

So in my OP I did have a legit beef?

My girl nailed a 3 from the orange corner in front of the visitors bench, trail signalled "3", also, per my bookkeeper, he turned to them and announced "3" before going up the floor. Lead stopped play with ball in B's backcourt when he noticed the score and told them to change it to a "2".

Beef?

The right to take your team's performance out on the officials? No.

The right to belittle them and start coaching them like kids? No.

The right to start acting like a Koach? No.

The right to complain. Sure.

Have you looked at the tape?