The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who makes the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86472-who-makes-call.html)

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 06:56am

Who makes the call?

Girls varsity -- 2 man.
Ball at A1 top of the key.
Lead is under basket left side, trail is opposite table side.
Ball swings to table side wing, then down to A2 for a spot up 3.

Ball goes in, trail signals 3, (and I don't know why but also verbals "3" to table).

Lead sees the score changed by 3 points and blows whistle as B team is dribbling in the backcourt. Changes trails call to a two. No discussion between officials.

CoachP alomost got his first T since 1999. Did I have a legit beef?

Freddy Mon Jan 23, 2012 07:17am

Pass on This One

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815878)
Girls varsity -- 2 man.

Ball goes in, trail signals 3, (and I don't know why but also verbals "3" to table).

Lead sees the score changed by 3 points and blows whistle as B team is dribbling in the backcourt. Changes trails call to a two. No discussion between officials.

Better bitter battles to bite off. As described, this was lead's call. And if my trail in that instance came up with a signal and I knew it was incorrect, I'd overrule him, too. Followed by having speaks with him at halftime regarding why he's guessing at something like that.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:02am

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

In most (but not all) areas, a 2-to-a-3 or a 3-to-a-2 is changed without discussion.

If the shot was from below the FT line extended on L's side, it was L's call.

jTheUmp Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:24am

Lead's call all the way. Good job by L to catch the error.

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:37am

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

What would your beef have been? What would you have argued?

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:57am

My beef was lead changed the call from behind left side lane and the three was from the right side corner. That was the side the trail was on, in front of home team bench. I saw a "3" from visitors bench and the trail saw "3". We had the best view. ;)

Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was...oh well.

Plus, we were 8-0 until that night and we were getting our you-know-what's handed to us...

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:57am

Coach, did you have a good view? Are you 100% sure the L was wrong? Or were you just arguing because the call was changed?

A lot of guys (and gals) pregame this, and will explicitly discuss having it handled exactly this way.

"If you see me get a 3 pt shot wrong, just blow the whistle and fix it. No need to discuss."

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 09:59am

Ah, I see, the shot was from T's side, not L's. The only guy I know who's sneaking a peak at this shot from L is tref. :D

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815911)
Coach, did you have a good view? Are you 100% sure the L was wrong? Or were you just arguing because the call was changed?

Both!

I am 100% sure, trail solidified it with signal AND verbal to the table as he passed by, so I assuming HE was 100%....

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815912)
Ah, I see, the shot was from T's side, not L's.

Yes. (Maybe my OP wasn't all that clear?)

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815915)

Any film available, tape dont lie.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815915)

It was clear, but for some reason I got confused when reading it. After you repeated it, I re-read and it seemed clear.

As tref notes, too, I'd check the tape. It's possible the L was right and the T (and you) were some how obstructed. Either way, I'll bet they had a nice little chat in the locker room.

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815910)
My beef was lead changed the call from behind left side lane and the three was from the right side corner. That was the side the trail was on, in front of home team bench. I saw a "3" from visitors bench and the trail saw "3". We had the best view. ;)

Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was...oh well.

Plus, we were 8-0 until that night and we were getting our you-know-what's handed to us...

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

The bolded part is confusing me then. Was the trail "opposite the table"? That's how I read it.

CoachP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 815923)
The bolded part is confusing me then. Was the trail "opposite the table"? That's how I read it.

Ah, there it is...!

Trail is tableside (right side). Lead is underbasket. (leftside)

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815928)
Ah, there it is...!

Trail is tableside <s>(right side)</s>. Lead is <s>underbasket</s> opposite. <s>(leftside)</s>

Less confusing this way.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00am

Quote:

Girls varsity -- 2 man.

The Lead should also have seen that the T signalled a successful 3-point field goal. As soon as that happens, whistle the play dead and change the call to a 2-pointer.

Try not to give a subsequent Team B throw-in on the end line without the ability to run the end line. (This can be done one of two ways.)

SAJ Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815935)
Less confusing this way.

Trail is table side is all that needs stating. We know where the L is going to be.

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 815983)
Trail is table side is all that needs stating. We know where the L is going to be.

Not necessarily.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 815983)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 815985)
Not necessarily.

Yep, L could slide over; especially if the ball is in that corner. Although if he does, he's likely got his back to the 3 pt line.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:05pm

If they want the L strongside, pay for the 3rd!

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 815988)

Disagree, but we've had this discussion before. :D

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:12pm

Quote:

All 10 on that side, you still standing weakside? I don't work much 2 person, but that's a bunch for your trail to deal with solo.

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Not true as this is a mechanic, not about who pays for the officials which in at least my case have nothing to do with each other.

Peace

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 01:51pm

Quote:

Aren't you the one that always preaches the crew needs to get the call right? :)

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 815992)
Disagree, but we've had this discussion before. :D

True :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 815994)
All 10 on that side, you still standing weakside? I don't work much 2 person, but that's a bunch for your trail to deal with solo.

Where did I say that I stayed weakside?? Neither do I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 815995)
Not true as this is a mechanic, not about who pays for the officials which in at least my case have nothing to do with each other.

Peace

Its optional here, well, at least in the 2 person games I work it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 816000)
Aren't you the one that always preaches the crew needs to get the call right? :)

I dont "preach" anything & I dont work many 2 person games either.
Pinching the paint provides a great look AND you are that much closer to your sideline responsibilities.

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:25pm

If you disagree with the option in general, that's one thing. But to refuse to cross simply because you want a third official (which is what your statement implies) is purposefully giving them less effort than is required. And some games just don't need 3, which further goes against your point.

I don't cross as quickly as in 3, but if the action is all over there, I'm moving to get a better angle; especially if the T has to have eyes on the ball outside the paint.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816004)
I dont work many 2 person games either.

Well that's the world I'm in and I'm not giving less than my best effort. They want us flexing strong side here when we can.

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:33pm

Quote:

Where did I say that I stayed weakside??

You more certainly implied it.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:33pm

I think I gave more than one reason, sometimes we read/hear what we want.

- Pinching the paint provides a good look
- That method gives you a closer route back to your sideline responsibilities

Perhaps my thoughts differ because I didnt start officiating in that era. When I came in it was 3 & that is what todays game deserves.

So, in college & pro games how do they decide which games "need" 3 & which ones dont? Ohhhhh they dont, every game is officiated with a crew of 3 for consistencies sake!

Welpe Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816009)
Perhaps my thoughts differ because I didnt start officiating in that era. When I came in it was 3 & that is what todays game deserves.

I only started three years ago so I'm most certainly of this era. There are far too many subvarsity and small classification varsity games here with two officials to insist that it is three or nothing. We'd never play any games if that were the case.

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:37pm

Quote:

Its optional here, well, at least in the 2 person games I work it is.

I did not say it was mandatory or you would lose all games if you did not use it. And considering that 2 Person is only really worked at the lower level, then this is mostly a non-issue when it really counts.

Quote:

I dont "preach" anything & I dont work many 2 person games either.
Pinching the paint provides a great look AND you are that much closer to your sideline responsibilities.

Well I am in a training capacity so we teach this as an option. If someone chooses not to do it, no one is going to be upset about it. It is used and usually very rare.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:39pm

Quote:

I think I gave more than one reason, sometimes we read/hear what we want.

- Pinching the paint provides a good look
- That method gives you a closer route back to your sideline responsibilities

So, in college & pro games how do they decide which games "need" 3 & which ones dont? Ohhhhh they dont, every game is officiated with a crew of 3 for consistencies sake!

I don't think there is an "era" as far as 2-man/3-man unless you were dropped directly into college and pro officiating.

You did say if they want a 2nd official strongside then pay for a 3rd. Well that's not going to happen. And pinching the paint does not give you as good a look as actually coming all the way over. Pinching the paint is still going to leave you stacked to the post play that is happening on the other side paint.

tref Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:39pm

I hear ya! I guess it boils down to, you doing whats best for you to improve & advance in the area that you're in.

And me doing the same where I am.

BLydic Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:46pm

Quote:

Where did I say that I stayed weakside??

I didn't state that you did, I believe it was more in the form of a question based on an obvious scenario in which you should be strongside.

Quote:

... sometimes we read/hear what we want.

No doubt. :)

JRutledge Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 816013)
I hear ya! I guess it boils down to, you doing whats best for you to improve & advance in the area that you're in.

And me doing the same where I am.

I do not disagree, but you made the point that this was based on not hiring a 3rd in replacement of what is being taught. That was really the only reason I commented. I do not hardly see a 2 Person game outside of the summer, so this hardly comes into my thinking other than when I am observing or working games myself. The point is that who teaches this has nothing to do with who hires officials.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2012 04:59pm

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 815910)
Really? That is leads call in the far corner? Seems better look from where trail was.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3505/3...67305d15_m.jpg

Freddy Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:04pm

Better Than Three-Person?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816062)

According to your illustration your state must be assigning four-person crews out there, eh? Or is that an IAABO thing? ;)

Adam Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:13pm

Maybe in a small corner?

BillyMac Mon Jan 23, 2012 05:23pm

And No Switching, Ever ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 816063)
According to your illustration your state must be assigning four-person crews out there.

This is the four person game that we only use with the old guys. No running. Just stay out of the way of the players when you're at one of the trail positions. It's not just in my little corner of Connecticut, it's statewide. We've got a lot of elderly officials in Connecticut. When we say, "Stay in your primary", we really mean it.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 23, 2012 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816070)
This is the four person game that we only use with the old guys. No running. Just stay out of the way of the players when you're at one of the trail positions. It's not just in my little corner of Connecticut, it's statewide. We've got a lot of elderly officials in Connecticut. When we say, "Stay in your primary", we really mean it.

"Tonight's officials are ___, ___, ___, and ___. Together, they have over 220 years of experience!"

just another ref Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 816011)
And considering that 2 Person is only really worked at the lower level........

What is "the lower level"?

We have some 3A and 4A VB games two man.

JRutledge Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 816144)
What is "the lower level"?

We have some 3A and 4A VB games two man.

Anything that is not varsity is "lower level."

Peace

CoachP Tue Jan 24, 2012 06:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 816062)

That picture is exactly my OP Billy!

So in my OP I did have a legit beef?

My girl nailed a 3 from the orange corner in front of the visitors bench, trail signalled "3", also, per my bookkeeper, he turned to them and announced "3" before going up the floor. Lead stopped play with ball in B's backcourt when he noticed the score and told them to change it to a "2".

BillyMac Tue Jan 24, 2012 07:06am

Geriatric Crew ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 816077)
"Tonight's officials are Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., and Mark Padgett. Together, they have over 220 years of experience!"

Fixed it for you.

Adam Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 816181)
That picture is exactly my OP Billy!

So in my OP I did have a legit beef?

My girl nailed a 3 from the orange corner in front of the visitors bench, trail signalled "3", also, per my bookkeeper, he turned to them and announced "3" before going up the floor. Lead stopped play with ball in B's backcourt when he noticed the score and told them to change it to a "2".

Beef?

The right to take your team's performance out on the officials? No.

The right to belittle them and start coaching them like kids? No.

The right to start acting like a Koach? No.

The right to complain. Sure.

Have you looked at the tape?

CoachP Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 816223)
Beef?

It happened in the first half when it was still a game. At that point in time, changing the call had some significance. All I wanted was to know why he (Lead) was changing the Trails call. Hence my OP about who covers what area for corner three's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 816223)
Beef?

The right to take your team's performance out on the officials? No.

The right to belittle them and start coaching them like kids? No.

The right to start acting like a Koach? No.

Have you looked at the tape?

As far as the other questions, no. That is not coachp. ;)

And have yet to view the tape...

tref Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 816248)
And have yet to view the tape...

Perhaps once you do this ^^^ it will lead you to understand why he did the following.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 816248)
It happened in the first half when it was still a game. At that point in time, changing the call had some significance.