The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The number of coaches who know this rule (and quite a few others) is small enough to make them the exception rather than the rule. Middle school even more so.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Figure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
How can you effectively teach the game if you don't have a thorough rules knowledge, let alone being able to effectively communicate with officials?
Which is exactly why I, as a middle school coach, took the classes offered by the local official's board over thirty years ago. I didn't even plan to take the test, I just wanted to learn the rules. I ended up taking, and passing, the test, and discovered that I could make same extra cash (teachers weren't paid much back then) officiating games. I stopped coaching after over twenty-five years (if asked today, I would only coach a team of orphans). I'm still officiating, and plan to keep doing it as long as I'm healthy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I had a GV game yesterday where I called a PC foul on the V team as the Trail. One of my partners told me that as I was reporting, the H coach was asking him why we weren't shooting free throws.

This was the same call where the V coach asked me what her girl did. I told her she used her forearm to displace the defender. She told me "That hasn't been called all weekend" (This was a tourney). I just told her that I hadn't been there all weekend so I don't know what or wasn't called.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Which is exactly why I, as a middle school coach, took the classes offered by the local official's board over thirty years ago. I didn't even plan to take the test, I just wanted to learn the rules. I ended up taking, and passing, the test, and discovered that I could make same extra cash (teachers weren't paid much back then) officiating games. I stopped coaching after over twenty-five years (if asked today, I would only coach a team of orphans). I'm still officiating, and plan to keep doing it as long as I'm healthy.
Took me a second, but that is funny!!
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatson View Post
Took me a second, but that is funny!!
Its a sad statement regarding the current state of affairs regarding student athletes' parents.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

I still don't understand if you used the acronym (LGP) or said "legal guarding position" to him. If it was the first, I can understand why he was confused. In the second, less so.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 10:33pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Which is exactly why I, as a middle school coach, took the classes offered by the local official's board over thirty years ago.
There it is, a coach that stepped it up.

Aside to fiasco, look at the quote again. That's what I said.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There it is, a coach that stepped it up.

Aside to fiasco, look at the quote again. That's what I said.
Then I can absolutely understand the coach's confusion.