The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Same holds true for a lopsided game or ANY game for that matter.

Like the officials who like to shake partners hands after the game, while still on the court. Dude, one team & their followers arent going to think we did that great of a job
I try to hammer this home whenever someone tells me a horror story about being confronted after the horn.

I've already removed my whistle (so someone doesn't grab the whistle and use my lanyard as a weapon -- one of the things I learned in the Earl Strom book -- of course taking my belt off and wrapping it around my fist as a potential weapon doesn't apply now that pants are beltless) and am heading out the nearest exit before anyone can confront me.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm not looking for perfect; I'm looking for something that doesn't wind up with me on a sex offenders list. Your area my be different, but in my area I'm arriving at a JH just as class is dismissing. A classroom is a place you could conceivably be walked in on by a student while in a state of undress.

For my money, it's not worth the risk.
This is not about my area. All JHs are not governed by a single body in this state and are literally the wild, wild west of standards from one school to another. There are two JH organizations that run state tournaments, and they dictate their members and what they do with the officials, but that does not apply to every single area in Illinois. This is why I do not work them because most middle schools are not under a state or mostly state organizations where I live and why I have no desire to work these games even if I was mentoring an official. I can mentor them at a HS game.

During HS games the very same thing can happened as I have been put in a girl's locker room with a lot of room and had young girls walk into the room. Or even when we have a secure room had kids run through the room. It really does not matter what where they put you if they do not allow folks to have access. Not sure about you, but most schools close off multiple parts of a school during activities where a school is running.

Quote:
I don't worry about people following me to the car for a couple of reasons:
1) Attacks on officials are usually heat of the moment things. By the time I get to my car, they're going to have cooled off.
2) Provided they don't have a gun or a knife, I'm confident in my self-defense ability.
You do not have to be worried about it, but these things often happen in youth or middle school games. Usually you do not see these things happen at the HS level because most states have a state body that dictates and the consequences are heavier.

Again this is also not about even confrontations. I want a room so I can talk to my partner about situations in the game and cannot easily be heard. I want a chance to unwind briefly after the game. If they give the teams a locker room so they can discuss strategy, not sure why any school cannot provide the same for the officials. Even when we work summer games with multiple tournaments, we try to secure a room that the public does not have access to without trespassing.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:39pm
Esteemed Participant

From the article:

"A spokesman for the Houston Independent School District said administrators and coaches were nearby and helped to "minimize" the disruption."

1) They consider this to be a "disruption"??? An assault is nothing more than a disruption???

2)The nearby coaches and administrators helped to "minimize" it? Guy gets a blindside punch in the head...how exactly did they minimize anything??

That one sentence tells us all we need to know about the Houston Independent School District.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That one sentence tells us all we need to know about the Houston Independent School District.
Here is what is going to happen. Someone is going to sue these school districts for incidents like this and then things will change as a result. Until that time, this will keep happening.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:01pm
Eschew obfuscation.

And this is why I won't do anything less than HS JV games. I can't stand to deal with idiotic fans and coaches (not that they're much better at the HS level).
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Don't even think about carrying on a court and don't leave it where it can't be securely locked up. There is an exception in the Federal gun free zone law for CHL/CCW/CWP holders but here in Texas you cannot legally carry in a school building or where a school sponsored activity is in progress. I'd be surprised if OR doesn't have similar laws on the books.
Not exactly. ORS 166.370 specifies that carrying a weapon in a public building (which includes public schools), loaded or unloaded, is a class C felony. The law has an exception provision for those with a license to carry a concealed handgun. There is also an exception that allows an unloaded weapon locked in a vehicle.

In 2005 there was a unsuccessful attempt to amend the law to allow a school district board to prohibit CCW license holders from carrying on school premises and other school sanctioned activities. It failed primarily because it was overly broad in scope.

Private facilities are free to restrict weapon possession in any way they choose. The clinic that my wife work for, for example, won't even allow an off duty LEO to carry on premises - they must lock the weapon in their car.

That said, carrying a weapon to a sporting event is, IMHO, a really really bad idea.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 04:23pm.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:35pm
I miss being on the floor

I work a lot of JH ball for my local junior high. I go to the game dressed, except for my shoes. They open the coaches office for us, which is right off the gym floor. People are in and out of there all the time, so I don't take anything that I won't need on the floor with me.

There's only one exit, and I always am a little wary if it was a close game...you never do know. I've never had any problems there, but it only takes one bad apple.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Private facilities are free to restrict weapon possession in any way they choose. The clinic that my wife work for, for example, won't even allow an off duty LEO to carry on premises - they must lock the weapon in their car.
Perhaps so, but I suspect it is just a policy. I doubt they have any direct legal manner to enforce their policies aside from not allowing the person access to the premises under threat of trespassing charges. If such a person were to be on the property with a weapon, it wouldn't be a criminal offense like it would if they were to have a gun in a school or court house.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps so, but I suspect it is just a policy. I doubt they have any direct legal manner to enforce their policies aside from not allowing the person access to the premises under threat of trespassing charges. If such a person were to be on the property with a weapon, it wouldn't be a criminal offense like it would if they were to have a gun in a school or court house.
Correct. If someone refuses to comply, about all they can do is notify the individual that they must immediately leave the premises. If they then refuse to leave they can be arrested for criminal trespass, but possession of a weapon with appropriate permit to carry, in and of itself isn't a criminal offense under those circumstances.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not exactly. ORS 166.370 specifies that carrying a weapon in a public building (which includes public schools), loaded or unloaded, is a class C felony. The law has an exception provision for those with a license to carry a concealed handgun. There is also an exception that allows an unloaded weapon locked in a vehicle.

In 2005 there was a unsuccessful attempt to amend the law to allow a school district board to prohibit CCW license holders from carrying on school premises and other school sanctioned activities. It failed primarily because it was overly broad in scope.

That said, carrying a weapon to a sporting event is, IMHO, a really really bad idea.
Thank you for your information. I agree carrying a weapon to a sporting event sounds like a really bad idea; I was more thinking out loud than anything else. However, I did not know that there was an exception on the books for CHL holders.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For the bigger city refs, would a taser be a decent compromise? No idea on the law as far as owning or possessing one.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 08:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Will Do The Trick ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
I still haven't figured out how to carry comfortably on the court though.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It would have to be pretty damn comfortable. Generally, I can't stand ankle holsters.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Not exactly....snip.
Interesting, thanks for setting me straight.

I still wouldn't carry while working a game...especially if I know the table personnel have their TASERS handy.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In my experience, very rarely is a room provided that is suitable for changing for JH games.
We do here. Gold Crown and YMCA, no dice, but school sponsored games come with a room.