The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Official Attacked (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86301-official-attacked.html)

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:08pm

Official Attacked

Referee attacked after basketball game | News - Home

This happened at a Houston ISD middle school, a school where I've worked games in the past.

Many times, especially during middle school games, my partners seem to not understand why I make it a point to leave as quickly as possible. It's bad enough I have to go to the table to grab my jacket, but some partners want to stay and chat, change shoes, etc. Protect yourselves out there folks. Keep your awareness heightened and get out of there ASAP.

Toren Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 815154)
Referee attacked after basketball game | News - Home

This happened at a Houston ISD middle school, a school where I've worked games in the past.

Many times, especially during middle school games, my partners seem to not understand why I make it a point to leave as quickly as possible. It's bad enough I have to go to the table to grab my jacket, but some partners want to stay and chat, change shoes, etc. Protect yourselves out there folks. Keep your awareness heightened and get out of there ASAP.

Time to boycott that school. If the school isn't stepping up, if people aren't saying who is responsible, someone saw it but they aren't saying, then it's time to not have officials there.

It's sad that this happened.

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15pm

I don't work for that particular chapter anymore but when I did, I swore off middle school games for certain districts. My concern over my personal safety and the apparent disinterest of those schools to ensure it being the major reason.

JRutledge Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15pm

One more reason I cannot stand working those games anymore. You work with guys that do not have a clue and the fans do not have a clue. I am sure this person's kid will not even remember the outcome in a week and people treat it like they just lost the NBA Finals in a regular season, nothing game.

Peace

tref Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23pm

Apply for a CCW people... nevermind that happened in TX.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:25pm

This is why I carry an AK-47 in my bag. :eek:

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 815175)

Oh we have them here, they're just called a CHL instead of a CCW.

gdudik Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 815175)

Is wondering if that would come up. I just started carrying a .357. I still haven't figured out how to carry comfortably on the court though, and I'm very hesitant to leave it in my bag. Usually I just leave it locked in the car, but that does me no good.

Edit: I just realized that most schools are "gun free zones" and if you're even caught with a weapon on school grounds, you could face some sort of charges.

bainsey Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39pm

From the story...

Quote:

Sanders said the attacker waited until his vision was obstructed as he was changing clothes, and until another referee left his side.
Changing on the floor? Don't they provide a room for that?

JRutledge Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 815183)
From the story...

You would be surprised. There are many places you have to insist on a changing or private room as they do not seem to understand the inherent problem with not doing so. And you deal with officials (if you read previous threads) that seem to not insist on having a room for anything.

Peace

Raymond Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

From the story...

At a middle school? From my experiences more often "no" than "yes".

Remember the big discussion we had about officials changing in parking lots or coming dressed to games?

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 815184)
You would be surprised. There are many places you have to insist on a changing or private room as they do not seem to understand the inherent problem with not doing so. And you deal with officials (if you read previous threads) that seem to not insist on having a room for anything.

Peace

That's pretty much how it is around here for middle school games. 99% (SWAG) of officials show up dressed though some do change at the school. They are not usually expecting to have to put us somewhere to change. It's hard enough to get water from some schools.

Welpe Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdudik (Post 815182)
Is wondering if that would come up. I just started carrying a .357. I still haven't figured out how to carry comfortably on the court though, and I'm very hesitant to leave it in my bag. Usually I just leave it locked in the car, but that does me no good.

Edit: I just realized that most schools are "gun free zones" and if you're even caught with a weapon on school grounds, you could face some sort of charges.

Don't even think about carrying on a court and don't leave it where it can't be securely locked up. There is an exception in the Federal gun free zone law for CHL/CCW/CWP holders but here in Texas you cannot legally carry in a school building or where a school sponsored activity is in progress. I'd be surprised if OR doesn't have similar laws on the books.

Eastshire Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52pm

Quote:

From the story...

In my experience, very rarely is a room provided that is suitable for changing for JH games.

JRutledge Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 815189)
In my experience, very rarely is a room provided that is suitable for changing for JH games.

They do not have a class room somewhere?

Peace