The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

travel?

JUCO women's game: girl ends her dribble, jumps forward onto right foot, jumps sideways & lands on left foot, releases ball...I call a travel...she approached me during half-time and says "that's the euro (sp?), that's not a travel,"...I ask my partners - one says it was a travel and the other says the same thing the player said. I've never even heard of this "move".....can someone enlighten me?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When she ended her dribble, where were her feet?

In other words, when she gathered the ball into her hands, where were her feet?

If she gathered the ball with her left foot on the ground, and her right foot not on the ground, the left foot became the pivot foot when the right foot touches in a step. When the left foot returned to the floor, it was a travel.

If she gathered the ball with her right foot on the ground, and her left foot not on the ground, the right foot became the pivot foot when the left foot touches in a step. When the right foot returned to the floor, it was a travel.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
If she ended her dribble and started the gather while airborne, it was a good play. Would have to see it to correctly rule.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
When she ended her dribble, where were her feet?

In other words, when she gathered the ball into her hands, where were her feet?

If she gathered the ball with her left foot on the ground, and her right foot not on the ground, the left foot became the pivot foot. When the left foot returned to the floor, it was a travel.

If she gathered the ball with her right foot on the ground, and her left foot not on the ground, the right foot became the pivot foot. When the right foot jumped forward, it was a travel.
Sounds like hopscotch to me!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:06pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
JUCO women's game: girl ends her dribble,
As others have said, need to know when she ended her dribble to answer.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...she approached me during half-time and says "that's the euro (sp?), that's not a travel,"...I ask my partners - one says it was a travel and the other says the same thing the player said. I've never even heard of this "move".....can someone enlighten me?
She probably said "that's the Euro Step..." If done correctly it is not a travel.

Instead of the quick "step-step-release" after the gather the first step is long and slow in one direction then the second step is enlongated in the opposite direction from which A1 takes off. Usually done when the defender is directly between A1 and the basket. The goal is to get the defender leaning one direction and then A1 comes back the other direction.

Can't be done at full speed so it looks awkward because of how slow the move is. Is used a lot around here.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 01:53pm.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
She probably said "that's the Euro Step..." If done correctly it is not a travel.

Instead of the quick "step-step-release" after the gather the first step is long and slow in one direction then the second step is enlongated in the opposite direction from which A1 takes off. Usually done when the defender is directly between A1 and the basket. The goal is to get the defender leaning one direction and then A1 comes back the other direction.

Can't be done at full speed so it looks awkward because of how slow the move is. Is used a lot around here.
What throws a lot of officials off on this move (IMO) is the player does not step in a straight like like most officials are used to seeing...that and the fact the player slows down during the euro step, as you mentioned.

It's not unlike some officials that will call a travel on a legal jump stop when the player jumps to the side or away from the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 02:07pm.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What throws a lot of officials off on this move (IMO) is the player does not step in a straight like like most officials are used to see...that and the fact the player slows down during the euro step, as you mentioned.

It's not unlike some officials that will call a travel on a legal jump stop when the player jumps to the side or away from the basket.
I agree with your opinion APG, but would you agree that the principles are still the same no matter what new move they come up with?
Identifying the pivot once the ball is gathered is the key to making the CC.

Plus in the theme of Good, Bad & Ugly I'm staying away from the Bad (looks funny, really unsure)... No call.

Last edited by tref; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 02:05pm.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JUCO women's game: girl ends her dribble, jumps forward onto right foot, jumps sideways & lands on left foot, releases ball...I call a travel...she approached me during half-time and says "that's the euro (sp?), that's not a travel,"...I ask my partners - one says it was a travel and the other says the same thing the player said. I've never even heard of this "move".....can someone enlighten me?
She did this while shooting or passing? From your description she has taken two steps (depending on the timing of the gather) and then shot the ball. That would not be a travel. A Euro step is a basic two step layup except instead of steping toward the basket the second step is to one side or the other.

Would you still have called it a travel if she landed on both feet instead of just the one left foot? (ie like a std jump stop)
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
She did this while shooting or passing? From your description she has taken two steps (depending on the timing of the gather) and then shot the ball. That would not be a travel. A Euro step is a basic two step layup except instead of steping toward the basket the second step is to one side or the other.

Would you still have called it a travel if she landed on both feet instead of just the one left foot? (ie like a std jump stop)
NFHS...This is about determining the pivot foot first and not allowing the ball handler to replant that foot while still holding the ball.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two steps is a myth that will get you in trouble.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I agree with your opinion APG, but would you agree that the principles are still the same no matter what new move they come up with?
Identifying the pivot once the ball is gathered is the key to making the CC.

Plus in the theme of Good, Bad & Ugly I'm staying away from the Bad (looks funny, really unsure)... No call.
I agree...got to be able to determine when the ball is gathered/dribble ended and be able to identify the pivot foot from thereon.

And there are too many officials that call plays travels because it looks "ugly" rather than because the play is illegal itself. It's the "easier" call to make.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I agree...got to be able to determine when the ball is gathered/dribble ended and be able to identify the pivot foot from thereon.

And there are too many officials that call plays travels because it looks "ugly" rather than because the play is illegal itself. It's the "easier" call to make.
Sad but true. I hate when I see a legal play that looks funny, and the fans call for a travel and my partner calls it :/