The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Getting paid

Just curious, how long does it take these days for you to get paid for doing public HS games?

Every state has its rules for spending public money, sometimes a school board has to actually vote on paying the bills so you have to wait for that. But I get the idea that some less-well-heeled districts sit on paying bills for 60 days or more to get a bit more interest on bank deposits or avoid having to pay tax anticipation notes.

I'm seeing districts creep up from what used to be two weeks to two months.

My checks all go in the summer vacation account, so at today's interest rates it doesn't matter as long as I get paid before Saratoga opens, but is it my imagination or are our receivables aging more than they used to?

Let us raise a glass of cheer to rec leagues that pay with the Irish handshake, and to spouses who actually believe that "tonight was a volunteer game for the kids, the association likes us to give back to the community."
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

I just googled "Irish handshake" and urban dictionary did not appear to agree with what I believe you were trying to convey...
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:18am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Not sure when my Assignor gets his money from the schools, but I get mine at the end of the season.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I just googled "Irish handshake" and urban dictionary did not appear to agree with what I believe you were trying to convey...
Ouch. IN my day, the Irish handshake, as offered by my grandfather, was a shake of the hand with some of the folding green tucked inside. My grandfather would shake my hand, advise me to "go get a cigar" and when i withdrew my palm would be gladdened with the presence of a fin. Hence the term "Irish handshake" as a means of tendering a few bucks without the world taking notice. He also would have killed me if I had actually bought a cigar.

These urban dictionary definitions are not the work of a soul with a drop of Erie in them.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Usually get paid as you walk in the door or after we get to the dressing room. One school around here mails all their checks so sometimes it may take a week or two to get that one.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

I typically am paid before I get a chance to change out of my street clothes. The latest I get paid for basketball is after I changed into my uniform. In soccer, there is one school district nearby that has club soccer (rather than varsity soccer) because of its club status, checks are not available before the game and are mailed afterwards instead.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:29am
I miss being on the floor

Here, it depends on the school district. Some could take weeks, even months to pay, and with some you'll have your check in a week. Some schools, particularly private schools, have a check ready for you when you walk in.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Every school district is different but 3-5 weeks. BTW I hit up Saratoga every August. My Reffing money doesn't cover that bill unless it's a good week..
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Almost every school here has you fill out a pay slip and they mail you a check, usually after their school board meets and approves payments. A few pay when you arrive at the school, and a few will mail the check within a week or two. I just got paid for games on December 3rd last Friday, and I'm still waiting on one from December 9th, which is going on about six weeks.

Some of you don't get paid until the end of the season?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
These urban dictionary definitions are not the work of a soul with a drop of Erie in them.
Or Éire, either.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:59am
TODO: creative title here

Depends on the school... a handful of them will have a check ready for you when you arrive. The majority of them make you fill out a W9 and/or a 'pay voucher', and then they'll mail the check in about 2 weeks or so, depending on when the game occurs relative to their pay cycle.

A couple of schools; however, are seemingly always late with their payments. At one particular school, I worked a 9th grade football game for them around October 1st and didn't get the paycheck until the middle of December.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:29am
Do not give a damn!!

It really depends on the school and the school district and school board's policy. I have been paid just this week with cash and in other places it will take a week and others it will take about a month. No really consistency in what is done and what they require to be paid. Some fill out vouchers some take information off the Arbiter.

One thing I have found is schools in the Chicago are go through more paper work and delay payment, but schools outside the Chicago area and way outside of the suburbs pay on game day.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Depends on the league here. We have 2 leagues that pay weekly, 1 that holds on to our money & sucks every bit of interest out of it that they can get. Most lower class leagues pay on the spot, with one particular school that pays cash! Anoher school in that league pays through RefPay.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:01am
Livin' The Dream

Used to get paid on the spot. Now it is about 50/50. Seeing alot more W9's and vouchers. A week to two weeks and we get a check. Now, instead of stuffing checks into my fun money fund, i am stuffing vouchers! At least the wife can't cash those!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Virtually every way imaginable.

Cash, check on the spot, check mailed by school, check mailed by assigner, ref pay....

Depends on the school/league.