The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Getting paid (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86214-getting-paid.html)

amusedofficial Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:40am

Getting paid

Just curious, how long does it take these days for you to get paid for doing public HS games?

Every state has its rules for spending public money, sometimes a school board has to actually vote on paying the bills so you have to wait for that. But I get the idea that some less-well-heeled districts sit on paying bills for 60 days or more to get a bit more interest on bank deposits or avoid having to pay tax anticipation notes.

I'm seeing districts creep up from what used to be two weeks to two months.

My checks all go in the summer vacation account, so at today's interest rates it doesn't matter as long as I get paid before Saratoga opens, but is it my imagination or are our receivables aging more than they used to?

Let us raise a glass of cheer to rec leagues that pay with the Irish handshake, and to spouses who actually believe that "tonight was a volunteer game for the kids, the association likes us to give back to the community."

fortmoney Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:45am

I just googled "Irish handshake" and urban dictionary did not appear to agree with what I believe you were trying to convey...

grunewar Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:18am

Not sure when my Assignor gets his money from the schools, but I get mine at the end of the season.

amusedofficial Thu Jan 19, 2012 06:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortmoney (Post 814736)
I just googled "Irish handshake" and urban dictionary did not appear to agree with what I believe you were trying to convey...

Ouch. IN my day, the Irish handshake, as offered by my grandfather, was a shake of the hand with some of the folding green tucked inside. My grandfather would shake my hand, advise me to "go get a cigar" and when i withdrew my palm would be gladdened with the presence of a fin. Hence the term "Irish handshake" as a means of tendering a few bucks without the world taking notice. He also would have killed me if I had actually bought a cigar.

These urban dictionary definitions are not the work of a soul with a drop of Erie in them.

SNIPERBBB Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:12am

Usually get paid as you walk in the door or after we get to the dressing room. One school around here mails all their checks so sometimes it may take a week or two to get that one.

Eastshire Thu Jan 19, 2012 07:54am

I typically am paid before I get a chance to change out of my street clothes. The latest I get paid for basketball is after I changed into my uniform. In soccer, there is one school district nearby that has club soccer (rather than varsity soccer) because of its club status, checks are not available before the game and are mailed afterwards instead.

stiffler3492 Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:29am

Here, it depends on the school district. Some could take weeks, even months to pay, and with some you'll have your check in a week. Some schools, particularly private schools, have a check ready for you when you walk in.

Brick43 Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:39am

Every school district is different but 3-5 weeks. BTW I hit up Saratoga every August. My Reffing money doesn't cover that bill unless it's a good week..

zm1283 Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:48am

Almost every school here has you fill out a pay slip and they mail you a check, usually after their school board meets and approves payments. A few pay when you arrive at the school, and a few will mail the check within a week or two. I just got paid for games on December 3rd last Friday, and I'm still waiting on one from December 9th, which is going on about six weeks.

Some of you don't get paid until the end of the season?

mbyron Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 814746)
These urban dictionary definitions are not the work of a soul with a drop of Erie in them.

Or Éire, either. ;)

jTheUmp Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:59am

Depends on the school... a handful of them will have a check ready for you when you arrive. The majority of them make you fill out a W9 and/or a 'pay voucher', and then they'll mail the check in about 2 weeks or so, depending on when the game occurs relative to their pay cycle.

A couple of schools; however, are seemingly always late with their payments. At one particular school, I worked a 9th grade football game for them around October 1st and didn't get the paycheck until the middle of December.

JRutledge Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:29am

It really depends on the school and the school district and school board's policy. I have been paid just this week with cash and in other places it will take a week and others it will take about a month. No really consistency in what is done and what they require to be paid. Some fill out vouchers some take information off the Arbiter.

One thing I have found is schools in the Chicago are go through more paper work and delay payment, but schools outside the Chicago area and way outside of the suburbs pay on game day.

Peace

tref Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:54am

Depends on the league here. We have 2 leagues that pay weekly, 1 that holds on to our money & sucks every bit of interest out of it that they can get. Most lower class leagues pay on the spot, with one particular school that pays cash! Anoher school in that league pays through RefPay.

tw1ns Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01am

Used to get paid on the spot. Now it is about 50/50. Seeing alot more W9's and vouchers. A week to two weeks and we get a check. Now, instead of stuffing checks into my fun money fund, i am stuffing vouchers! At least the wife can't cash those!

Adam Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14am

Virtually every way imaginable.

Cash, check on the spot, check mailed by school, check mailed by assigner, ref pay....

Depends on the school/league.