View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Rule 5-8-2 Note.

As a general rule you stop play when the team that is in control of the ball has either regained control of the ball or the play has stopped all together like a fast break (usually) or the opportunity to score has ended. If a player is in danger or more seriously hurt, then the officials can stop play immediately. This is a judgment call all the way and some disagree when play should be let go or stop immediately.

Peace
Thanks! I found it after posting while doing a little searching. My apologies for not doing that first.

We had a near fiasco due to stoppage of play immediately and an ensuing 4 on 1 break because of an injured player. He was against the wall of his own basket so not in immediate danger but if I understand it right, play can be stopped if the referee deemed it serious enough? Any guidelines for faking an injury? My guess is he would have to be very quick witted to pull this off but I'm thinking this is exactly what happened. Jumped back up and never left the game, our ball OOB half court.

This is all the info I need to set a few parents straight. Bad judgement maybe, but not a bad call?