The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clock running out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86166-clock-running-out.html)

Triad zebra Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:28pm

Clock running out

This didn't happen in my game, but what if?:
4 tics remaining tied game
A1 throws it into A2 who beats the bad defense and is heading for a layup 50 feet away.
I notice clock hasn't started, I begin a count in my head and blow it dead prior to the layup. Just prior to blowing it dead, I notice the clock is now running and has 3 seconds remaining (obviously started 2 seconds or more late) I blow whistle, clock stops and there is 2.4 remaining. We're going to OT.
I'm sure there would be some angry people there, but is this what you would do?

tjones1 Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:40pm

What was your count?

Toren Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 814596)
This didn't happen in my game, but what if?:
4 tics remaining tied game
A1 throws it into A2 who beats the bad defense and is heading for a layup 50 feet away.
I notice clock hasn't started, I begin a count in my head and blow it dead prior to the layup. Just prior to blowing it dead, I notice the clock is now running and has 3 seconds remaining (obviously started 2 seconds or more late) I blow whistle, clock stops and there is 2.4 remaining. We're going to OT.
I'm sure there would be some angry people there, but is this what you would do?

I would visibly have a count. You want to be supported by film.

Triad zebra Wed Jan 18, 2012 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 814604)
I would visibly have a count. You want to be supported by film.

Fortunately this has not happened, but by thinking about it ahead of time I would be prepared and I would have a wrist flick as my visual count

Adam Wed Jan 18, 2012 06:50pm

I've done it, twice.

Now, I always have a count in the closing seconds, and I would rather stop play two seconds in, reset the clock, and have a new throw in at the appropriate spot.
To me, that's the least problematic solution.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad zebra (Post 814610)
Fortunately this has not happened, but by thinking about it ahead of time I would be prepared and I would have a wrist flick as my visual count

Use a full arm swing for this count. You want it to be clearly visible on any video.

just another ref Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:06pm

If you use a full arm swing for this purpose, couldn't it conceivably cause confusion. A player or coach mistakes it for a closely guarded count?

Adam Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 814653)
If you use a full arm swing for this purpose, couldn't it conceivably cause confusion. A player or coach mistakes it for a closely guarded count?

I doubt they're paying that close attention to your ARM swing with 4 seconds left.

just another ref Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 814659)
I doubt they're paying that close attention to your ARM swing with 4 seconds left.

Not with 4, but this play could have started with 12. Using a mechanic for anything other than its specified purpose so it will show up in a video doesn't seem right to me.

And I said conceivably.

Adam Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 814681)
Not with 4, but this play could have started with 12. Using a mechanic for anything other than its specified purpose so it will show up in a video doesn't seem right to me.

And I said conceivably.

With that much time left to start the play, the best answer is definitely to kill the play, take off the appropriate time, and put it back in play.

tjones1 Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 814695)
With that much time left to start the play, the best answer is definitely to kill the play, take off the appropriate time, and put it back in play.

Agree.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:07am

I concur with Snaqwell's previous two posts.

Adam Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 814738)
I concur with Snaqwell's previous two posts.

It's as if I've been hugged.

mbyron Thu Jan 19, 2012 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 814812)
It's as if I've been hugged...

...by a ___________________.

(Fill in the blank contest.)

Loudwhistle2 Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 814870)
...by a ___________________.

(Fill in the blank contest.)

Nevadan?