The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clock running out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86166-clock-running-out.html)

mbyron Thu Jan 19, 2012 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 814899)
Nevadan?

Best so far.

Cobra Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 814681)
Not with 4, but this play could have started with 12. Using a mechanic for anything other than its specified purpose so it will show up in a video doesn't seem right to me.

And I said conceivably.

Visible counting showing up on video doesn't really even matter. Anyone watching on video will be able to use a watch to see how much time elapsed between when the clock should have started and when the official stopped the game. You will either either be right or be wrong; either you stopped the game before the 4 seconds expired or after. No one is going to care that your arm was moving. No player is going to say "well it was actually only 3.7 seconds but him arm moved 4 times so I should have noticed and shot the ball quicker."

Camron Rust Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 814972)
Visible counting showing up on video doesn't really even matter. Anyone watching on video will be able to use a watch to see how much time elapsed between when the clock should have started and when the official stopped the game. You will either either be right or be wrong; either you stopped the game before the 4 seconds expired or after. No one is going to care that your arm was moving. No player is going to say "well it was actually only 3.7 seconds but him arm moved 4 times so I should have noticed and shot the ball quicker."

No, they will know you didn't guess....that you based any adjustment on a count they could easily see you had.

Cobra Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 815027)
No, they will know you didn't guess....that you based any adjustment on a count they could easily see you had.

Anyone who thinks that an official could possibly just be guessing on a call like this obviously doesn't get it and therefore their opinion should not matter.

When the video is on Youtube everyone is just going to look at the video timer and see how much time should have gone off the game clock. Either the game was ended before or after 4 seconds had elapsed. The call was either correct or incorrect; that's all the people care about. Getting the call wrong after the video shows you weren't guessing isn't any better than just plain getting the call wrong without a visible count.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 20, 2012 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 815057)
Anyone who thinks that an official could possibly just be guessing on a call like this obviously doesn't get it and therefore their opinion should not matter.

When the video is on Youtube everyone is just going to look at the video timer and see how much time should have gone off the game clock. Either the game was ended before or after 4 seconds had elapsed. The call was either correct or incorrect; that's all the people care about. Getting the call wrong after the video shows you weren't guessing isn't any better than just plain getting the call wrong without a visible count.

You still don't get it.

IT'S ABOUT FOLLOWING THE RULES!!!!!!

The rules require the referee to have definite knowledge of any timing error to correct it. The rules book states that an official's count may be used for the correction. So if the clock isn't running when it should be and this needs to be corrected, what are you going to use other than a count to fix it? You can't just make something up or think numbers in your head because the RULES don't allow that.

just another ref Fri Jan 20, 2012 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 815068)
The rules require the referee to have definite knowledge of any timing error to correct it. The rules book states that an official's count may be used for the correction. So if the clock isn't running when it should be and this needs to be corrected, what are you going to use other than a count to fix it? You can't just make something up or think numbers in your head because the RULES don't allow that.

So counting in your head would not qualify as definite knowledge but a visible count would?

Rich Fri Jan 20, 2012 03:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 815070)
So counting in your head would not qualify as definite knowledge but a visible count would?

I would use a "count in my head" without thinking twice.

just another ref Fri Jan 20, 2012 03:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmsn (Post 815073)
i would use a "count in my head" without thinking twice.

+1

Camron Rust Fri Jan 20, 2012 04:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 815057)

It's happened and will happen again. Not all officials follow the rules and just make stuff up when they're unsure. I've seen it happen.

BillyMac Fri Jan 20, 2012 07:09am

T Minus Ten Seconds And Counting ...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 815073)
I would use a "count in my head" without thinking twice.

I always have a last ten seconds countdown in my head. Every game. Every period.

Eastshire Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:07am

Quote:

You still don't get it.

IT'S ABOUT FOLLOWING THE RULES!!!!!!

A count in my head is my definite knowledge. It may not be the coach's or anyone else's definite knowledge, but the rules don't require visible definite knowledge, just definite knowledge.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2012 08:57am

Quote:

That's not at all what Nevada said.

Eastshire Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 815103)
Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref

That's not at all what Nevada said.

That's exactly what Nevada said, to wit:

Quote:

You can't just . . . think numbers in your head because the RULES don't allow that.

And I believe him to be wrong as well.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 815108)
That's exactly what Nevada said, to wit:

And I believe him to be wrong as well.

You need a count. The count need not be visible. It's better (from a game management perspective) if it is.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 815115)
You need a count. The count need not be visible. It's better (from a game management perspective) if it is.

I think most agree with that....but it sure appeared to me that Nevada was saying a mental count wasn't enough....it had to be an official count with the visible arm swing to be valid.