The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Direction of ball

One of the problems I have been having is knowing where the ball is going immediately after a loose ball that has touched multiple players of different teams. So lets say there's a loose ball and it's touched two players each from different teams. When that happens I have a difficult time remembering which way the team who I want to have the ball is going. Sometimes I just take my time, say the name of the team and point the direction. Does anyone have a good device on knowing which way each team is going when something like this is going on?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Take your time. There's no rush. Yell the color, look at the benches, remember which half you're in, and point accordingly.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

here's my "twocentsworth"....pay attention to the game! you should be able to figure out which direction teams are going pretty easily. if you have trouble doing that, then the game is moving too fast for you and you've got other problems that will almost certainly be worse than pointing in a wrong direction.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:42am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
here's my "twocentsworth"....pay attention to the game! you should be able to figure out which direction teams are going pretty easily. if you have trouble doing that, then the game is moving too fast for you and you've got other problems that will almost certainly be worse than pointing in a wrong direction.
How about offering constructive criticism.

Welcome to the forum JJ. As you can see, results may vary, but please feel free to ask any question.

Are you working high school ball? What twocentsworth is trying to say is that teams should be going away from their bench in the first half, and towards their bench in the second half. If you're working a rec league, they may not play by this rule.

I know I had trouble with this same thing when I did intramural ball in college. They were pretty loose with the formalities like that, but once I started doing ball with structure (high school ball), it was much easier. That's not to say that it doesn't take some time though.

In a scramble like that, take your time, make sure you get the color right, that's the most important. You don't even have to point until you're sure of yourself, which may take a second, especially right after halftime or if you're working multiple games in a day.

Keep working at it. I've found that it's one of those things that subconciously comes to you as you do more games.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Take your time. There's no rush. Yell the color, look at the benches, remember which half you're in, and point accordingly.
Exactly what I do right now if I get turned around. Best basic advice here.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Take Your Time ...

Sometimes you are sure about the color, but not the direction. Sometimes you're sure of the direction (off offense, off defense, stay here, going down), but not the color.

Whichever one you know, for sure, go with. Then take your time to figure out the second aspect of the mechanic (look at benches, which half), and then "report" that aspect.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 07:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I'll sneak a quick look at the bench once in a while to figure out which team is going which way, especially early in the game. It really isn't that big a deal.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Try to stop the clock and point the direction with the hand that is on that side of your body. So if you're Trail in the frontcourt and the team with the ball throws it OOB on your line, stop the clock with the hand closer to the backcourt and point the other direction with that same hand. I was taught to do that early on and now it's second nature.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I also had this problem (as many others have had) the first couple years of officiating. Funny thing was I never had a direction problem when I was playing for all those years. Snaqs gave you the very best advice. And as you officiate more you will become more engaged and this problem will soon past.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Try to stop the clock and point the direction with the hand that is on that side of your body. So if you're Trail in the frontcourt and the team with the ball throws it OOB on your line, stop the clock with the hand closer to the backcourt and point the other direction with that same hand. I was taught to do that early on and now it's second nature.
Practicing at home while watching basketball on tv is how I learn to do this quite effectively.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind

I'm in my third year total, second year varsity.

Just this Saturday I had a play, 2 man mechanics, I was the trail and the ball went out on the endline. The L blows his whistle and looks at me for assistance because it's opposite the paint and he didn't know. I call out "White" and point toward Blue.

As I heard the bit of a moan from the players I realize my mistake and immediately blow my whistle and repeat "White" with a correct direction.

Hardly ever happens to me, but if it does, don't be afraid to correct the issue immediately. Just don't make it a habit. Making this mistake more than once in a game is probably a problem.

As others have said, take your time.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

Just this Saturday I had a play, 2 man mechanics, I was the trail and the ball went out on the endline. The L blows his whistle and looks at me for assistance because it's opposite the paint and he didn't know. I call out "White" and point toward Blue.

As I heard the bit of a moan from the players I realize my mistake and immediately blow my whistle and repeat "White" with a correct direction.

Hardly ever happens to me, but if it does, don't be afraid to correct the issue immediately. Just don't make it a habit. Making this mistake more than once in a game is probably a problem.

As others have said, take your time.
It's not a huge thing -- you pointed in the wrong direction. Another reason to have a quick look at the benches and orient yourself before pointing and calling. Take your time.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Haaa ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Practicing at home while watching basketball on TV is how I learn to do this quite effectively.
If you sound the whistle, the wife, kids, and dog, will think that you're nuts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 07:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Take Geogrphy For $100 Alex ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I didn't realize that Denver, Colorado, was actually in Southern California.