The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:00pm
I miss being on the floor

Coach Tossed, Game Forfeited

A partner told me recently about a MS game he did recently in which the coach of Team A got two technical fouls and was ejected. Partner told me that because he didn't have an assistant coach, that Team A had to forfeit the game.

Looking it up, I can't find the rule to support the forfeiture of the game. Am I missing it, or is my partner making stuff up?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

5-4-3. Most states / leagues require an adult (or "approved adult") to be on the bench.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
5-4-3. Most states / leagues require an adult (or "approved adult") to be on the bench.
I'm not seeing where 5-4-3 says anything about forefeiting. Does Illinois have the policy you stated?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We had a traveling team with no asstant coach a couple of years ago. Head coach first quarter jumps onto the court during a live ball and gets a T. She continues to be chirpy so ref tells her (fairly young gal, about 30) that if she doesn't hush up she may get another T, and then that will trigger a forfiet. She did hush some.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not in the NFHS rules, but I don't know of any state (or youth organization) that doesn't require an adult/coach for scholastic games.

I would just suspend the game, submit a report to the state and let them decide whether or not to forfeit the game.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'm not seeing where 5-4-3 says anything about forefeiting. Does Illinois have the policy you stated?
Yes.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would just suspend the game, submit a report to the state and let them decide whether or not to forfeit the game.
Sounds like a good way to go.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me in Oregon several years back. Was the last game of the season (I think it was JV girls) and the home team was ahead, time was winding down - under a minute left in the game. Home was up by enough to ensure they were going to win the game - all he had to do was keep his mouth shut. My partner calls an offensive foul and coach goes apesh!t. As I'm switching, my partner is reporting the foul and rings the coach up. Before I can run over there to help out, coach says something else and partner gives him #2. He's done. No assistant. So we go searching for a parent in the crowd when the visiting coach calls me over. She asks "are any of these people certified to coach?". Well that was a new one for me, but apparently that was the rule in Oregon - a coach has to be certified. My partner and I conferred - he agreed, and since non of the idiot parents answered "yes" to the question "Are any of you certified to coach?". my partner calls the game and a win turned into a 2-0 loss for that genius.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Sounds like a good way to go.
That's what I assumed happened. You said "Team A had to forfeit the game" not "and my partner called the game a forfeit.'