The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

Did I get this right?

This is still running through my head. Sat. night 2 very good boys JV teams. The play in question. A1 gets inbound pass in backcourt and is being pressed by B1 and B2. A1 throws cross-court pass to A2 who jumps to catch ball. B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball. B3 catches the ball with both hands. B3 did not jump in front of A2, B3 ended up jumping basically directly rib to rib into A2. I blew the whistle and ruled a push on B3 for basically knocking A2 off the ball, thus gaining an advantage. In football it would have been a great interception. I know this is a HTBT moment but what do you think?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

If A2 got to the spot first then was knocked aside by B3, sounds like a foul to me. Now if they both were jumping to the same spot and arrived at the spot simultaneously, it would be a likely no call barring any extra motions by B3

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 09:00am.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 08:18am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSturgell View Post
B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball

In football it would have been a great interception.
These two statements are not jibing with me for some reason.

I'm not picturing your play very well but it sounds to me that you judged B3 created contact with A2 and gained an advantage from this contact. If that'
s the case, you'd have a foul.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 09:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
This is still running through my head. Sat. night 2 very good boys JV teams. The play in question. A1 gets inbound pass in backcourt and is being pressed by B1 and B2. A1 throws cross-court pass to A2 who jumps to catch ball. B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball. B3 catches the ball with both hands. B3 did not jump in front of A2, B3 ended up jumping basically directly rib to rib into A2. I blew the whistle and ruled a push on B3 for basically knocking A2 off the ball, thus gaining an advantage. In football it would have been a great interception. I know this is a HTBT moment but what do you think?
Yes, this is a foul. Good call.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In football it would have been a great interception.
Sounds like a play-through to me.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 12:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sounds like a play-through to me.
Exactly what I was getting at.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every player has a right to his position on the floor if it was legally obtained. It sounds like A2 got his position legally and then was denied the position by B3. That's a foul.