The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Did I get this right? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85947-did-i-get-right.html)

RSturgell Mon Jan 16, 2012 04:37am

Did I get this right?

This is still running through my head. Sat. night 2 very good boys JV teams. The play in question. A1 gets inbound pass in backcourt and is being pressed by B1 and B2. A1 throws cross-court pass to A2 who jumps to catch ball. B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball. B3 catches the ball with both hands. B3 did not jump in front of A2, B3 ended up jumping basically directly rib to rib into A2. I blew the whistle and ruled a push on B3 for basically knocking A2 off the ball, thus gaining an advantage. In football it would have been a great interception. I know this is a HTBT moment but what do you think?

SNIPERBBB Mon Jan 16, 2012 06:52am

If A2 got to the spot first then was knocked aside by B3, sounds like a foul to me. Now if they both were jumping to the same spot and arrived at the spot simultaneously, it would be a likely no call barring any extra motions by B3

Welpe Mon Jan 16, 2012 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSturgell (Post 813787)
B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball

In football it would have been a great interception.

These two statements are not jibing with me for some reason.

I'm not picturing your play very well but it sounds to me that you judged B3 created contact with A2 and gained an advantage from this contact. If that'
s the case, you'd have a foul.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 16, 2012 09:00am

Quote:

This is still running through my head. Sat. night 2 very good boys JV teams. The play in question. A1 gets inbound pass in backcourt and is being pressed by B1 and B2. A1 throws cross-court pass to A2 who jumps to catch ball. B3 comes across court and jumps to intercept pass and bodies A2 pretty hard to knock him off the ball. B3 catches the ball with both hands. B3 did not jump in front of A2, B3 ended up jumping basically directly rib to rib into A2. I blew the whistle and ruled a push on B3 for basically knocking A2 off the ball, thus gaining an advantage. In football it would have been a great interception. I know this is a HTBT moment but what do you think?

Yes, this is a foul. Good call.

mbyron Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:55am

Quote:

In football it would have been a great interception.

Sounds like a play-through to me. ;)

Welpe Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 813831)
Sounds like a play-through to me. ;)

Exactly what I was getting at. :D

Eastshire Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Every player has a right to his position on the floor if it was legally obtained. It sounds like A2 got his position legally and then was denied the position by B3. That's a foul.