The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:23am
Back from the DL

The Visual Field (Screening)

Yesterday's game, freshman boys. A-1 is dribbling in the backcourt, guarded by B-2. A-3 sets a screen in the backcourt, and B-2, who's half A-3's size, takes two steps forward and crashes into the brick wall that is A-3. B-2 goes down in a heap.

I have nothing, as time as distance were in place. B-2 remains down in the backcourt for ten seconds or so, until B-4 snares the defensive rebound, and I immediately whistle.

Coach B plays the "visual field" card, as in "he didn't see him." (Not his words, but that's the gist.) Let's review that.

I consider the visual field to be slightly larger than a semicircle, going from the left side to the right side, as one can turn his neck. While B-2's eyes and head were turned to the right, A-3 was directly in front of him, therefore still within his visual field, if I have this defined correctly.

Thoughts?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:33am
Do not give a damn!!

The interpretations I have seen allow for up to two steps if you can see the screen and you must allow a step if they cannot (set legally of course). I do not see distance as being a factor as players can take a step longer than a semi-circle in some situations.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:08am
We don't rent pigs

I believe the wording goes something like: .........screening moving opponent outside his visual field, screener must allow the opponent time and distance to change direction. This distance need not exceed two strides. If the screener was stationary in your play, and the opponent took two strides, it is not a foul whether he was in the visual field or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Relatively new guy here, are you saying that a screen set directly behind a defender is illegal? No matter how much space the defender is given?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 04:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
Relatively new guy here, are you saying that a screen set directly behind a defender is illegal? No matter how much space the defender is given?
I don't think anybody said that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Yesterday's game, freshman boys. A-1 is dribbling in the backcourt, guarded by B-2. A-3 sets a screen in the backcourt, and B-2, who's half A-3's size, takes two steps forward and crashes into the brick wall that is A-3. B-2 goes down in a heap.

I have nothing, as time as distance were in place. B-2 remains down in the backcourt for ten seconds or so, until B-4 snares the defensive rebound, and I immediately whistle.

Coach B plays the "visual field" card, as in "he didn't see him." (Not his words, but that's the gist.) Let's review that.

I consider the visual field to be slightly larger than a semicircle, going from the left side to the right side, as one can turn his neck. While B-2's eyes and head were turned to the right, A-3 was directly in front of him, therefore still within his visual field, if I have this defined correctly.

Thoughts?
The "visual field" has nothing to do with establishing a legal screening position (4-40-2). A legal screen can be within or outside the visual field of the opponent. If set behind (outside the vision) of a stationary opponent only distance (1 step) is required. If the opponent is moving, time and distance are required but whether the screen is within or outside the visual field is not a factor. Actually, "visual field" eventually becomes a responsibility of the person being screened. See 4-40-7.

Last edited by billyu2; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 09:42am.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 11:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Thoughts?
Kid gave plenty of time and distance regardless, so the only complaint the coach could have had would have been if the defender knocked the screener down and you called a foul. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Do you always wait until the injured player's team has the ball before blowing it dead?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't think anybody said that.
Ah ok, I see. I didn't read it correctly. So if a defender is unseen, he must give a step.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Do you always wait until the injured player's team has the ball before blowing it dead?
If it's serious, or the player is in further danger, stop play immediately.

Otherwise, wait until the injured player's team has the ball, or the other team stops attacking the goal.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Otherwise, wait until the injured player's team has the ball, or the other team stops attacking the goal.
I normally wait until the other team either stops attacking or call it right away if they aren't attacking, but isn't there a case play (can't find it) or interp that says to blow the whistle as soon as a shot is taken? Now I'm questioning my recollection, however.

I also realize that adherance to this (even if it's there) is going to be a Rome thing.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I agree. In a recent training meeting, we were told to "always wait until the opponents finish their attempt to score." I had to tell them that if the injury is serious, stop the play immediately! That might include, an unconscious player, obvious joint dislocation, bleeding, convulsions, etc. Use some common sense and sensitivity.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I normally wait until the other team either stops attacking or call it right away if they aren't attacking, but isn't there a case play (can't find it) or interp that says to blow the whistle as soon as a shot is taken? Now I'm questioning my recollection, however.

I also realize that adherance to this (even if it's there) is going to be a Rome thing.
2010-2011 Rules interp ...

SITUATION 4: A1’s unsuccessful try for goal is rebounded by B1. As A1 returns to the floor after the missed try, he/she twists and then grabs the ankle and goes to the floor. B1 passes the ball to B2, who dribbles into the frontcourt and (a) attempts a try for goal which is not successful but is immediately rebounded by B4 and successfully scored; or (b) attempts a three-point try for goal which is successful. RULING: In both (a) and (b), an official stops play by sounding his/her whistle when the try for goal is released by the B player (player/team control ends on the release for a try). In (a), the successful try by B4 is not scored and play is resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (b), play is resumed with a throw-in to Team A anywhere along the end line. (5-8-2 Note)
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...two steps forward...
What more do you need?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
2010-2011 Rules interp ...

SITUATION 4: A1’s unsuccessful try for goal is rebounded by B1. As A1 returns to the floor after the missed try, he/she twists and then grabs the ankle and goes to the floor. B1 passes the ball to B2, who dribbles into the frontcourt and (a) attempts a try for goal which is not successful but is immediately rebounded by B4 and successfully scored; or (b) attempts a three-point try for goal which is successful. RULING: In both (a) and (b), an official stops play by sounding his/her whistle when the try for goal is released by the B player (player/team control ends on the release for a try). In (a), the successful try by B4 is not scored and play is resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (b), play is resumed with a throw-in to Team A anywhere along the end line. (5-8-2 Note)
Not a big fan of "...sounding his/her whistle when the try for goal is released."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Same Page ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Not a big fan of "...sounding his/her whistle when the try for goal is released."
Agree, but that's what they want us to do.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)