The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Senior Moment?

Last night, as L I had a foul on 42 white, 12 blue shooting two (it was a bit of a scrum under the basket on the shoot - boy's jv game. I go to the table to report and had no recollection at all on who the foul was on - they only thing that came to mind was "12". Went over to my partner, and he had no idea (this was a boy's jv game, 2 officials). The kids were lined up for the throw so I asked them "who'd I call that foul on". White 42 fessed up and the light went off and I remembered it was 42.

If 42 would not have fessed up, what could I have done? Just picked a white player? I've mixed numbers up when reporting, but this is the first that I've completely forgot - well, that I can remember

Last edited by ddn; Sat Jan 14, 2012 at 10:23am.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 10:27am
Official & Member

Not much you can do other than give it your best shot as to who the offender was. Been there, done that numerous times. Now, as part of my pre-game, I encourage partners to be active during dead balls by noting which player fouled, which are shooting, what time is on the clock, ball location, etc. in other words, don't go to sleep just because a partner is making the call.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn View Post
Last night, as L I had a foul on 42 white, 12 blue shooting two (it was a bit of a scrum under the basket on the shoot - boy's jv game. I go to the table to report and had no recollection at all on who the foul was on - they only thing that came to mind was "12". Went over to my partner, and he had no idea (this was a boy's jv game, 2 officials). The kids were lined up for the throw so I asked them "who'd I call that foul on". White 42 fessed up and the light went off and I remembered it was 42.

If 42 would not have fessed up, what could I have done? Just picked a white player? I've mixed numbers up when reporting, but this is the first that I've completely forgot - well, that I can remember
Don't forget to ask the table as well (quietly) most of the time they are pretty sure who the foul is on and they can be helpful in this situation. As a matter of a fact when we are about to start the game, all the refs shake hands and then shake hands with the table personel. I always tell the table folks, "watch who we call the fouls on, I may lose the number!" About once every two years or so they will save my arse!
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I had a habit of making a call, but not really being diligent about stating it at the spot and then going to the reporting area. I've worked on that and it has really helped me be more accurate and organized when I get to the area. Also, my partner has typically heard the call and if I do have a memory lapse he/she is more able to help.

Also, when working with a good table crew, they've often times noted the number of the player who fouled and if you call a number they don't expect they'll initiate a short conversation to make sure it's correct. I don't want to have this happen often but I'd rather get it correctly booked.

Sometimes if there's a physical characteristic you can note as well as the number it will help. eg: tallest player on the court. etc.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
What could I have done?
If there was absolutely no way of determining who the foul should be charged to (see excellent suggestions from esteemed members in previous posts), then don't guess. Just have the scorekeeper mark the foul as a team foul. I hope that you remembered the correct team color.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you say (out loud) the player's # when making your call? That's one of the things I have gotten in the habit of doing especially now that I'm getting older and it really helps. Also if there's a lot of players in the area (scrum) that's one of the few times I will come in with a bird-dog to indicate exactly who I have the foul on and again, I say the player's number before leaving to report. (also indicating throw-in spot or # of FT's)
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen in a game over break except instead of forgetting a number he reported it on the wrong kid.At the quarter break he came over and asked us to correct the previous foul.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If 42 had not fessed up, what could I have done? Just picked a white player? I've mixed numbers up when reporting, but this is the first that I've completely forgot - well, that I can remember
Remember that the table crew are also officials and may assist with officiating the game. Check with them, as they often know who committed the foul before you report it. As you say, sometimes a person simply saying "42" will jog your memory, at which point you can say, "right! 42 white!"
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Remember that the table crew are also officials and may assist with officiating the game. Check with them, as they often know who committed the foul before you report it. As you say, sometimes a person simply saying "42" will jog your memory, at which point you can say, "right! 42 white!"
Regarding getting assistance from the table crew...
Under Fed rules are we allowed go the table to confirm that a shot went in? I couldn't find that specific situation covered in rule book or case book.

I messed up last week and had no idea if the ball went in when P asked me if the shot was good after he called a foul on a drive to the hoop in a BJV. Bad officiating on my part.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 08:30pm
Administrator

Quote:

Eons ago, I remember telling me how he remembered numbers, he treated the fouler and fouler's numbers as a street number, in your case: 4212 (forty-two, twelve).

And now for a humorus story. A long time friend of mine who has been a multi-conference (including four power conferences) men's D-I official for over 20 years and has made it as least 3 rounds deep into the tournament for at least the last ten years is working a MAC game a few years (my wife and I were in attendence) called a foul, got to the Table and then realized he had forgot who had committed the foul and had to go back to the players and asked who committed the foul. It happens to the best of us and he is one of the best.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 11:31am. Reason: Corrected punctuation.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone - I have a few new mental braces to go along w/ the calf, shin, and ankle wraps to add to my gear bag....
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Regarding getting assistance from the table crew...
Under Fed rules are we allowed go the table to confirm that a shot went in? I couldn't find that specific situation covered in rule book or case book.

I messed up last week and had no idea if the ball went in when P asked me if the shot was good after he called a foul on a drive to the hoop in a BJV. Bad officiating on my part.
Yes. I had to do that a couple weeks ago: called a foul as lead, and neither C nor T could tell me if the shot was good. It was a train wreck under the basket, but one of them should have known.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yes. I had to do that a couple weeks ago: called a foul as lead, and neither C nor T could tell me if the shot was good. It was a train wreck under the basket, but one of them should have known.
I agree. There's another situation in the Casebook ( 5.10.1 D) that says the timer and scorer can be used to gain specific information. I think it would be safe to say it could be done in other situations as well.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I did it yesterday, and the table saved me. I started reporting the color and number of the shooter rather than the fouler, then turned around to the players knowing what I had done.

Table: "Blue 33."
Me: "Yes, thank you, Blue 33."

I then sheepishly took my position opposite the table.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I did it yesterday, and the table saved me. I started reporting the color and number of the shooter rather than the fouler, then turned around to the players knowing what I had done.

Table: "Blue 33."
Me: "Yes, thank you, Blue 33."

I then sheepishly took my position opposite the table.
I reported a foul on 34, the other night. The scorekeeper is an ex-official, and as I turned away, he said, "We don't have a 34 on the floor." I realized it was on 43, and corrected it, and told him, "It's just my dislexia coming out . . . again!"