The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 04:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-M Video Bulletin #7

There is actually a clip concerning a uniform violation in the latest bulletin (striped wristbands).

But what I really want to talk about is the play from the Michigan/Indiana game 1:50 into the video (17:25 of the second half in case APG wants to YouTube it for us).

The play involves an official incorrectly ruling an RA blocking foul on Michigan when the defensive player is clearly outside the arc. John Adams says however it's correctly called a block because the defender never established an LGP. Anybody else think the defender had established himself before the Indiana player went airborne?

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 07:29pm.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is actually a clip concerning a uniform violation in the latest bulletin (striped wristbands).

But what I really want to talk about is the play from the Michigan/Indiana game 1:50 into the video (17:25 of the second half in case APG wants to YouTube it for us).

The play involves an official incorrectly ruling an RA blocking foul on Michigan when the defensive player is clearly outside the arc. John Adams says however it's correctly called a block because the defender never established an LGP. Anybody else think defender think the defender had established himself before the Indiana player went airborne?
No. It was correct call....although wrong reason....no LGP.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting quiz queston on the NCAAW side related to this -0- What do the officials do if they find the restricted arc is a dotted line and not a solid line?

I got it wrong without the book.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like a block under NCAA/NF rules
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

If you go by the written rule....
...in the path (clearly since the shooter was able to cut back to the inside of the defender and make contact on the defender's left side)....
...2 feet on the floor.....yep, when the shooter was a step away.
...facing the opponent....yep, same time the feet were down (perhaps not perfectly square, but is that required?)
...before the opponent is airborne....yep, that happened as they came together
...LGP obtained.

However, I've heard it taught many times by NCAA clinicians that the point of reference they use is the gather. There is nothing in the rules that actually supports that, but that is what is used.

Also, I've heard it taught that is should be called a block if they don't take in the chest (and this defender didn't). But, that doesn't make any sense either if it is because the shooter slipped to the side of an otherwise legal position. That is the shooter's problem.

As the rules written, I think it was not a block. As the game is commonly called, it was a block.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Seems like a block under NCAA/NF rules
What do you and twocents see that I'm missing? To me I see B2 with 2 feet down before A1 went airborne and then staying stationary through the contact.

Not being argumentative, just trying to see what I'm seeing differently than Mr. Adams and you 2.

BTW, all my college games have had an arc. It's been really hard for me to incorporate picking up the defenders feet in relationship to the arc. It's definitely not 2nd nature to me yet. I have a game tomorrow with the arc. I'm really going to concentrate on that even when there is no impending collision.

Edit: I just saw what Camron posted, maybe that is the rationale.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest that Cameron is right. At the point the player "gathers the ball" he is in the act of shooting and then the defense steps over. As much as many on the board will disagree, I liked the call.

For NCAA it is a no brainer, its a block because Adams says its a block.I lke rewarding good defense and this one is close but I can see why it is a block....