The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Two on players, and one on a coach (tonight). I looked over and he was running down the court next to me complaining about a (no) call. Pretty funny, in hindsight.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

not again ...

College game, player A going for rebound gets the ball and is fouled by B. I call the foul, A turns and gets in face (chest really) and I separate the two. A won't let it go, drops an m*f* on B.... and the rest is 2 shots for the TF, followed by 2 shots for the double bonus.

Last edited by icallfouls; Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 06:20pm.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe She Noticed The IAABO Emblem On My Jersey ???

Girls varsity prep school game. Sloppy play from both teams, but there were a few descent players on both teams, and both teams were well coached.

Home is ahead by three points with about a minute to go. Due to some poor foul shooting by Home, Visitors have three chances to dig into that lead in the last minute. During all three Visitor possessions, they try to get the ball to V1, their best player, who, during all three possessions, tries to shoot from behind the three point line, and tries to throw herself into a defender to draw a foul on all three shots, figuring she could make the three, and get one free throw, or miss the three, and get three free throws. On all three tries, her shot is unsuccessful, and the defender just stands there in vertical stance with her hands straight up in the air, and I, or my partner, a veteran who's been officiating for forty-five years, come up with three consecutive no calls.

After her last unsuccessful shot, with her team behind by only three with about twelve seconds to go in the game, V1 turns to me and questions me emphatically, "Are you blind?".

Whack, and it's her fifth foul. Home makes one of the two technical foul free throws, and ices the clock for the final twelve seconds.

First "Tea Party" of the season for me. I never did answer her question, so in case she reads this Forum, "No. I'm not blind."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 05:54pm.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 09:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Effing hat trick this week. Three nights in a row. Stupid monkeys. No more pink shoe laces for me.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Effing hat trick this week. Three nights in a row. Stupid monkeys. No more pink shoe laces for me.
5 this week. 3 on Tuesday, 2 tonight. 2 head coaches, 1 assistant, 2 players.

Worked 5 games, but the 5 technicals were in 2 games.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

New poster, first-year official. I'm 18 years old, a student in college, and decided to give HS basketball a try this winter after a couple years' experience in soccer. Been lurking here for a couple weeks, but now I actually have a situation worth posting about.

I've given three Ts in 14 HS games (all freshman and sophomore) this year. Two were simple Ts to coaches for ABS.

The third was a bit of a bigger deal. Happened Friday afternoon, boys sophomore. Red getting blown out, three or four minutes left in the game. I'm trail in two-man, Red #11 is defending a shot in the post right at the edge of the key. He has one arm vertical, but I see the other one give a little push on the shot. Foul. As I turn around to the table to report it, #11 comes jogging toward his bench because he's just been DQ'd for his fifth foul. As he's going by me, he gives me a little elbow in the side. Not enough to cause pain or anything, but hard enough that it was clear he was doing this to dissent the call. Easy T. My partner later told me that I needed to report the incident to the HS Activities Association, which I did as soon as I got home. On the drive home, though, it occurred to me that I shouldn't have just given a T, but a flagrant T. Relating that to soccer, the sport I know quite a bit better, I'm going to send a player off every time for striking me in any manner to dissent a call. Certainly should've done the same here.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, but if you include that to your state, they'll probably tell you the same thing and suspend him anyway. He was already out for the game, so it's not that big a deal.

BTW, had the coach been informed that it was the player's fifth foul?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed, but if you include that to your state, they'll probably tell you the same thing and suspend him anyway. He was already out for the game, so it's not that big a deal.

BTW, had the coach been informed that it was the player's fifth foul?
I didn't realize it was his fifth until after the T. Our scorer was pretty top-notch, not just a 15-year-old kid like at most sophomore games, so I'm guessing he let the coach know.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
I didn't realize it was his fifth until after the T. Our scorer was pretty top-notch, not just a 15-year-old kid like at most sophomore games, so I'm guessing he let the coach know.
This is not a huge deal, but I think the point was that notifying the coach is part of your job, not the scorer's.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ok, otherwise, once you inform the coach of the fifth foul, then any Technicals on that player would be an indirect on the coach. No more coaching box (if your state uses it).
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is not a huge deal, but I think the point was that notifying the coach is part of your job, not the scorer's.
That too.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Not good enough. You (or the other official) must, by rule, notify the coach in order to make the player bench personnel.

The order is notify the head coach, start the 20-second clock for replacement, notify the player. The first horn should be five seconds after you start the clock. I always instruct the timer to never give a second horn in this situation.

We had a technical last night on a player who wanted to give his version of events on every foul he picked up. We ignored the first one, really had our radar up on the second one, and my partner decided to talk to him on the third one, although he was really close to giving a technical to him and probably should've (he actually brought the whistle up and I could tell his hands started too, although it was pretty subtle -- then he thought better of it for some reason). Then after a long talk from my partner, the kid walked past me and said something else and I calmly whacked him. Easiest technical foul I've called, probably.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I am way over 1/2 through the year. Guessing I have done about near 60 games.

If I remember correctly, I have 4 "T"s for the year.

2 coach ( jv level & church league )

2 players ( 1 church league and 1 jv level )

In the past by now I would have 15 or more. I am more patient in my old age ( year 12 ).
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:44pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
On the drive home, though, it occurred to me that I shouldn't have just given a T, but a flagrant T. Relating that to soccer, the sport I know quite a bit better, I'm going to send a player off every time for striking me in any manner to dissent a call. Certainly should've done the same here.
As one who also does soccer and basketball, this is a fair comparison. The red card equivolent in basketball is the flagrant T. The yellow card is the T.

What constitutes a red/flagrant or yellow/technical has some variances from locale to locale. Get to know your locale.

Welcome to the board.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

It's been a rather productive season. In the last couple weeks I've had one against a head coach, an administrative for wrong number in the book, one on a throw in for reaching across the OOB boundary and slapping the ball out of the thrower's hands, one for a loudly delivered F-bomb and the latest tonight for a young lady with a bad attitude and a foul mouth. So I'm up to something like 11........last year I think I only assessed 3 or 4.

Last Friday we also tossed a varsity assistant, but I didn't assess either of the two T's so I'm not counting them in the total.....

Last edited by TimTaylor; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 02:24am.