The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:03am
Courageous When Prudent

OSU/AZ skirmish

Perfect example of why we have taunting rules.

Only video I've found but easy to see what started it.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 09:26am.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

What did the officials rule? Reviewable? I have white 21 with the Tech.(Flagrant 1, I believe) Not sure I would penalize Red 1.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
What did the officials rule? Reviewable? I have white 21 with the Tech.(Flagrant 1, I believe) Not sure I would penalize Red 1.
This is what the game recap on Yahoo says:
Quote:
While celebrating the basket with the fans, Fogg turned to Arizona’s bench and howled, bumping into Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham in the process.

Cunningham shoved Fogg, players from both teams started pushing and jawing, and Miller came out onto the court shoving his players back to the bench.

Once the officials reviewed video of the incident, Arizona’s Kyryl Natyazhko and Oregon State’s Joe Burton were ejected for leaving the bench. Fogg fouled out after being hit with a technical foul and Cunningham was gone after getting personal and technical fouls.
So White 21 got a T and it was his 5th. Red 1 got the personal foul then a T for his 4th/5th, and they ejected a player from each team for leaving the bench. Looks about right to me. If the NCAA rule for leaving the bench area is as strict as the NBA rule, they probably could have gotten more Arizona players. Why should Red 1 not be penalized? He shoved White 1 in the chest with two hands.

Interesting that it says Fogg was "howling" toward his bench. Sure looked like a direct taunt to me. I don't think the shoulder bump was as incidental as they make it out to be.

Arizona outlasts Oregon State 81-73 in overtime - College Basketball - Rivals.com

Last edited by zm1283; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 09:20am.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Shoulder bump was definitely not incidental! You are correct, you have to penalize Red 1, after looking at it again, it was a two handed shove.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

It looks to me like Red 1 delivers a forearm into White 21's chest rather than shoves him (at least with the left, he also appears to shove with the right but I can't tell if it's open or closed handed). I don't think this particular instance amounts to fighting but is there a point where you would consider a blow with the forearm the same as a punch?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
... I don't think this particular instance amounts to fighting but is there a point where you would consider a blow with the forearm the same as a punch?
If it led to punches being thrown, then the forearm shove would be considered part of the fight and subject to the same punishment as a punch.

Otherwise I have it as a Class A intentional contact technical.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

The regular TV angle they showed on the ESPN highlights makes it even more clear that the bump was not incidental.

My first thoughts were the exact same:

This is why we have taunting rules and why personally I don't hesitate to call them. I've had 3 this year already and probably should have had another.

ETA- That AP writer is a joke. "While celebrating the basket with the fans, Fogg turned to Arizona’s bench and howled, bumping into Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham in the process." Complete BS. That was taunting, plain and simple.

Last edited by VaTerp; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 09:55am.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
This is why we have taunting rules and why personally I don't hesitate to call them. I've had 3 this year already and probably should have had another.

ETA- That AP writer is a joke. "While celebrating the basket with the fans, Fogg turned to Arizona’s bench and howled, bumping into Oregon State’s Jared Cunningham in the process." Complete BS. That was taunting, plain and simple.
+1 Not going to have a fight in my game if I can help it. My same thoughts on the article.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

What I'm confused about is why white 33 isn't receiving a tech. Red 12 stepped in and seemed to more or less cool things down, and then 33 comes charging in out of nowhere and starts a fight.