The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Best line by an official

Saw this happen at a middle school game, and just had to share it with you.

Running late, the second official comes into the gym. Although I couldn't hear what was going on, it was obvious that this official was called at the last minute to help out.

Visiting coach had a bad attitude from the very beginning. Contempt for our kids, contempt for our small town gym, just a bad attitude. He was taking it out on everybody almost from the start.

Halftime comes around and the second official and visiting coach happen to meet at the water fountain at the same time. Visiting coach makes some remark and official walks away and starts putting on his jacket. Both coaches see this and ask what's going on.

Official calmly zips up his jacket and says, "I was fixing a fence when you called me to help out, and I believe my tools are right where I left them. I can still finish before dark." And starts walking away!

Both coaches literally BEGGED him to stay and finish the game! It was great! He did stay and both coaches were a lot less lippy after that.

My question for you:
What is the best line you have ever heard from an official (or line that you have personally used)?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:02am
Archaic Power Monger

From an officiating standpoint, I don't like it. I'm sure we've been tempted but if we accept an assignment, we should finish it. If there's behavior that needs to be addressed during the game, do it. The take my ball and go home attitude and getting the coaches to beg is simply unprofessional IMO.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I agree -- and the same is true for 99% of the "best" lines that have been discussed here and elsewhere.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I should probably give you some background:

Out here, everybody including the officials are more volunteers than anything else. Even the janitor comes back "after I have my supper" to make sure everything is okay and the doors are locked, and he's off the clock when he does it. To us, its just part of helping out. To be fair, the visiting coach is probably a volunteer as well.

The reason I liked the exchange is that it reminded everybody that the coaches, scorekeeper, concession stand kids, and everybody else is basically volunteering their time to help the kids. It was a reminder that, "Hey, man. He's here to help out, just like the rest of us, so let's treat him with some respect."

Last edited by Lastkidpicked; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 11:21am.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:16am
Archaic Power Monger

That adds clarity but doesn't change my opinion.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Ironic,

the guy was a fence mender?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastkidpicked View Post
The reason I liked the exchange is that it reminded everybody that the coaches, scorekeeper, concession stand kids, and everybody else is basically volunteering their time to help the kids. And they should all be treated with some respect for that.
So how "respectful" and "helping the kids" is it to walk away in the middle of a game you accepted?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

We have the tools to (1) sit down & (2) disqualify knuckleheads. I wish I would let a coach/player/table crew/fan anger me so much that I'd leave in the middle of a contest
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree -- and the same is true for 99% of the "best" lines that have been discussed here and elsewhere.
...just call me a 1%er...
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
My question for you:

What is the best line you have ever heard from an official (or line that you have personally used)?
Are you Mark Padgett's straight man? He could go on forever with this one.......

In REC Ball, if the moment and situation are right I may attempt humor. But while I like to have fun, I really try to avoid smart comments and keep it strictly business.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just call the T and be done with it.

On the other hand, I don't think we can expect volunteer-level officials to be as professional.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Saw this happen at a middle school game, and just had to share it with you.

Running late, the second official comes into the gym. Although I couldn't hear what was going on, it was obvious that this official was called at the last minute to help out.

Visiting coach had a bad attitude from the very beginning. Contempt for our kids, contempt for our small town gym, just a bad attitude. He was taking it out on everybody almost from the start.

Halftime comes around and the second official and visiting coach happen to meet at the water fountain at the same time. Visiting coach makes some remark and official walks away and starts putting on his jacket. Both coaches see this and ask what's going on.

Official calmly zips up his jacket and says, "I was fixing a fence when you called me to help out, and I believe my tools are right where I left them. I can still finish before dark." And starts walking away!

Both coaches literally BEGGED him to stay and finish the game! It was great! He did stay and both coaches were a lot less lippy after that.

My question for you:
If I'm volunteering somewhere, and I get treated like a POS, you can bet I'm going to consider leaving. I'm not a door mat.

Recent studies have shown that people have more respect 99 cents apps than the free apps. The same goes for officiating. Pay the guys just $10 an hour if costs are an issue. Then there will be more respect for officials.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
My question for you:
I could give you a list but I don't think there's enough space on the server.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
So how "respectful" and "helping the kids" is it to walk away in the middle of a game you accepted?
I agree with this. If I'm volunteering and I get grief from one coach, I'm just going to use the usual tools in my arsenal to deal with it.

But if I'm volunteering my time and I'm getting grief from both coaches, players and fans all at the same time, I have no problem with picking up my jacket and walking out the door.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I agree with this. If I'm volunteering and I get grief from one coach, I'm just going to use the usual tools in my arsenal to deal with it.

But if I'm volunteering my time and I'm getting grief from both coaches, players and fans all at the same time, I have no problem with picking up my jacket and walking out the door.
Say it aint so fiasco