The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

2011 Nike Airmax Leather - How to Blackout

Anyone have any luck blacking out the 2011 Nike Airmax Leather shoes? Is it even possible to strip the gray on the bottom and dye them black?

Thanks!!
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 02:32pm
Huck Finn

What part of the bottom are you talking about? My friend has them, he took them to a guy and he says they are holding up well. I have some, but in one of the biggest rip offs in my shoe-buying history, I had to pay $40 more (the regular price) than the version they had on sale. The differences between the pair I have and the original pair is: the inside of my shoe is black instead of grey and the part right above the air bubble on mine is black instead of grey.

I'm going to take them to the same guy tomorrow, or whenever I have time to get there.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
What part of the bottom are you talking about? My friend has them, he took them to a guy and he says they are holding up well. I have some, but in one of the biggest rip offs in my shoe-buying history, I had to pay $40 more (the regular price) than the version they had on sale. The differences between the pair I have and the original pair is: the inside of my shoe is black instead of grey and the part right above the air bubble on mine is black instead of grey.

I'm going to take them to the same guy tomorrow, or whenever I have time to get there.
Photo Here

The gray stripe above the air bubble. A friend of mine took his to a guy and he taped the shoe up and painted the areas with a spray gun. The swoosh looks great in black, but the bottom edge on his that were gray (I see in this picture it is black) is chipping away.

Where did you get the option of a black stripe above the air bubble and also in the inside??

Last edited by NCHSAA; Sun Jan 08, 2012 at 04:59pm.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if this is the route Tomegun went but you can go to Nike ID online and order them exactly how you want.

It will run you $200 as oppose to the $160 they retail for in the store.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Not sure if this is the route Tomegun went but you can go to Nike ID online and order them exactly how you want.

It will run you $200 as oppose to the $160 they retail for in the store.
Those, if I'm correct, are the normal 2011's and not the leather option.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

NikeID

It is not an option to order them on NikeID...they don't offer this particular shoe yet. They do offer the mesh version which several guys including myself have in ALL black. I know college guys wearing them as well.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are right. Only the mesh version on Nike ID right now.

My bad. I thought I saw them on there earlier.

I'm behind as I'm still using my two pair of 2009s I bought last year.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

I actually have this shoe and used a product called "Shape-up" on the grey part and the entire mid-sole. I first blacked it out with a sharpie marker and then put 2 light coats on the mid-sole. It hasn't cracked and has been on the shoe since the start of the season.

PCA products

I don't recommend that you put it on the leather part of the shoe itself as id does crack on the shoe over time.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I actually have this shoe and used a product called "Shape-up" on the grey part and the entire mid-sole. I first blacked it out with a sharpie marker and then put 2 light coats on the mid-sole. It hasn't cracked and has been on the shoe since the start of the season.

PCA products

I don't recommend that you put it on the leather part of the shoe itself as id does crack on the shoe over time.
FWIW, I've used it on leather shoes for years (baseball and basketball) with no problems.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 12:29am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post

Where did you get the option of a black stripe above the air bubble and also in the inside??
Finish line. I have never seen the shoes in the picture - the part right below the air bubble is grey in both pairs of all black I have seen.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The uppers on those shoes look like something you'd see a football official wear at the college level. Too much white.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I just colored the swoosh with a sharpie and applied the shoe shining stuff over it.

They look great (if I do say so myself).
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
The uppers on those shoes look like something you'd see a football official wear at the college level. Too much white.
Wore those shoes at the HS level too.

That being said I am sure they can be colored in if it bothers you that much. Again, check your local listings.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:01am
Huck Finn

I will get them back from the shoe shine guy Friday, or whenever I pick them up after that.

What in the world are uppers and where are you seeing a lot of white on the shoe?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Reebok patent leather zigs................problem solved