The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And depending on which one you are, you really might have little to do with what ultimately happens.

Peace
I'm pretty sure my impact from 7000 feet will be exactly zero.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Is that all that difficult? No, and they're not going to issue sanctions without the whole thing. My guess is they could get it from the kid who edited the video.
The only issue however is that was the student the team videographer?

With seeing how the videos that they posted were edited, I would say not.

I used to be team videographer when I was the Boys' Basketball Manager, as soon as the game was done one of the assistants came and got the tape/camera and took it with them to the locker room.

The only other way I could think of it happening is if they had an additional memory unit available that recorded at the same time as the primary media, however all video cameras will only record to one source.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 02:19am.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm pretty sure my impact from 7000 feet will be exactly zero.
Or you could go to the board meeting like they did in "Hoosier" or "Footloose."

You know these meetings bring lots of changes.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Or you could go to the board meeting like they did in "Hoosier" or "Footloose."

You know these meetings bring lots of changes.

Peace
I'm not worried about the kid's dancing, though.
I don't think the opinion of some guy from Colorado is going to mean much anyway. They'll still let the kid keep dancing.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
snip
Again, getting the video wouldn't be that hard. I'm guessing either school would send it, particularly your non-rival opponent here.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:35am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
We spoke with an official referee with the Washington Officials Association. He says the player should have been removed after the first foul, which he says was unsportsmanlike conduct, and unnecessary. He adds the video will likely be reviewed by the association.
If the first foul referred to here is the first in the video we saw, all I can say is

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What is the true sense of the word?
Rival: A competitor (person, team, company, etc.) who is well known to another and has similar skills and achievements. Defeating a rival may be a primary or necessary goal of a competitor.

There have not been similar skill sets & achievements between the two schools.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He can make any request off the court he likes. He cannot do that in the middle of the game or in a way that disrupts the game.

Peace

Sure he can. He can kick the kid off the team any time he wishes....even in the middle of the game. As game management, he can have the game stopped and forfeit it. You can certainly pull exception cases out where the AD has no authority but that would be the extreme exception, not the norm. If not the AD, then the Principal. Someone, whoever it might be, at the gym is in charge of the facility and the event and can shut it down.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 02:59am.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

From the article on the Yakima website reporting on the situation:
Quote:
"We spoke with an official referee with the Washington Officials Association. He says the player should have been removed after the first foul, which he says was unsportsmanlike conduct, and unnecessary. He adds the video will likely be reviewed by the association."

NEVER comment to a news source on the officiating in a game, especially one which you did not work yourself!!!

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 03, 2012 at 03:40am.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 08:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Honestly, while I can see what you're saying here, I'm getting the elephant on this play (the two handed shove in the back) rather than the ant on the play (a blocking foul).
Yes; maybe I would too.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 08:56am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

NEVER comment to a news source on the officiating in a game, especially one which you did not work yourself!!!
And especially if you're going to butcher the terminology.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 09:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Honestly, while I can see what you're saying here, I'm getting the elephant on this play (the two handed shove in the back) rather than the ant on the play (a blocking foul).
Exactly my thoughts, as well. I'm penalizing only the shove, too.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Sure he can. He can kick the kid off the team any time he wishes....even in the middle of the game. As game management, he can have the game stopped and forfeit it. You can certainly pull exception cases out where the AD has no authority but that would be the extreme exception, not the norm. If not the AD, then the Principal. Someone, whoever it might be, at the gym is in charge of the facility and the event and can shut it down.
I've run into one or two ADs who thought they could tell the officials how to call the game. That's not going to happen, but as mentioned the AD could stop the contest and choose to forfeit. I certainly wouldn't try to fight that -- I'd simply file the appropriate report with the commissioner and with the state office.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd like to see the video of the entire game.

But it's telling to me that we have all of those hard fouls and not a single official closes distance to provide a presence in the middle of the players to prevent any retaliation.

Jeff mentioned it earlier -- these officials simply don't seem to have any awareness.

A couple of comments on particular fouls -- my comments earlier I'm pretty happy with, but to clarify:

#2 would not be considered intentional ever. Stupid? Yes. It's not even close to being an intentional foul *even with* the other fouls to put it in context.

#5 is flagrant. Yes, the kid's momentum provides a lot of what puts him on the ground, but it's the blatant disregard for the opponent that causes that, IMO.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 10:07am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
#34 needs to learn the game before he kills someone.
The officials need to learn how to officiate before they let someone get killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I don't believe 34 has any interest in learning the game. I believe he is there at the coach's direction to do exactly what we see in the video. No legitimate coach would keep this goon in a game for more than a minute or two. I can't imagine why a coach would even put him on the floor except to intimidate the other team. Its obvious he has zero basketball skills. A truly disgusting display by the player, his coach, and the oblivious officials working the game. One can only hope somebody at the state office address this nonsense immediately.
I agree. This "player's" actions are not fair to the other kids who are interested in playing a basketball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
White 34 is a Senior this year. He has little basketball skills, yes I do admit it, so his primary duties is to be a defensive wall. White 42 is also a Senior that has some basketball skills but not really enough to be a truly good player.
When thinking about the duties of the officials, which is why we are here, who cares what grade he is in and what his primary duties are? In this game, and I'm sure others, he is a nuisance and should have been eliminated from the contest in one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Clearly, these guys cannot work at the high school level without strong supervision.
So Chseagle, are these officials "veterans" in your area? In your opinion, how to they rate in their association. Ladies and gentlemen, for their area, these may be top officials. Sad but possibly true.

Similar fouls by the other team has been mentioned as a possibility. So? Even if the other team committed the exact same fouls the fact still remains that very little was done to properly officiate this game.