Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From Uniform Police......

to Technology Police.......
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

In MA ...

Talked to our board interpreter today. He said this had been discussed by the powers that be in MA (MIAA) and that iPads are not permitted.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:20pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
to Technology Police.......
That's cool. At least there's a few of us I.T. guys.

Conversely, any haberdashers in the house?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's cool. At least there's a few of us I.T. guys.

Conversely, any haberdashers in the house?
No, but in my line of work we'd want to know in what sense haberdashery is the converse of I.T.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:24pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
No, but in my line of work we'd want to know in what sense haberdashery is the converse of I.T.
Well, we went from fashion police to tech police. Two options, so I found "conversely" applicable.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

I checked the rule again and see where I might have missed it:

10-1-3

Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.

So if they are recording video from their iPad but not reviewing, would we say this is illegal?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't really care what brand of shoes they wear.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't really care what brand of shoes they wear.
That's what you went for? Not "haberdashers?"
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:46pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Friggin Amazing.......

One of my P's and I got to our game early the other night to evaluate the JV officials. As we sat in the stands near the top of the smallish gym, he had his iPAD out and was recording the game. It was fantastic!

Picture was clear and you could get the entire half the gym in the picture as well as the two officials. Light, easy to move and follow the game, and provide ongoing commentary, etc. He said the batteriy lasts a long time and he could hold ~ three full games on it at once. I was very impressed!

Last edited by grunewar; Thu Jan 05, 2012 at 02:48pm.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:13pm
Administrator

BillyMac and Zoochy:

Both of you have stated in this thread and another one that the NFHS has made a statement concerning iPad and like devices on the bench. I have tried to find it but haven't found it so far. Billy, if you can find it, please email me a copy or a link to it, and Zoochy, just send me a PM requesting my email address. As you well know, the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee Chairman is an OhioHSAA Assistant Commissioner, and on Friday, January 27, 2012, the OhioHSAA came out with a statement that may have contradicted the NFHS Statement. I would like to compare the two statements and keep the group posted. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 08:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep Us Updated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BillyMac and Zoochy: Both of you have stated in this thread and another one that the NFHS has made a statement concerning iPad and like devices on the bench. I have tried to find it but haven't found it so far.
The only thing I've heard is from our local IAABO board interpreter, who told us back in December that iPads, and other tablet computers, are not allowed on the bench. Period. All I know is that this is a local IAABO ruling. I don't know if it came from the state board, or from IAABO international?

Any reference that I gave in this thread about the NFHS ruling, I got from this thread, and was just copying it.

Sorry.

Also, I was with my local interpreter when he was approached by an athletic director that had a tablet computer with a real cool program. It is an "electronic scorebook", names, points, fouls, team fouls, timeouts, the whole nine yards. And it's somehow connected, by WiFi "magic" to the scoreboard on the wall. "Mark" a basket for Johnny Smith in the "electronic scorebook" and the two points show up on the scoreboard on the wall. And at the end of the game, the athletic director can instantly email the results of the game, with a full box score, to the local newspaper. He also showed us the "electronic whiteboard" by which a coach can diagram plays on the tablet.

Amazing.

The NFHS has got to respond to the fact that this is the 21st century, the Digital Age.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The only thing I've heard is from our local IAABO board interpreter, who told us back in December that iPads, and other tablet computers, are not allowed on the bench. Period. All I know is that this is a local IAABO ruling. I don't know if it came from the state board, or from IAABO international?
I have tried to find such a ruling from IAABO and cannot locate one. Indeed, the official IAABO position is in the current issue of the Sportorials newsletter, where Peter Webb, the coordinator of interpreters said this:

Electric Equipment Use On The Team Bench - As per 10.1.3,
such equipment can be used for only recording statistics. A state
association may over ride this rule and rule some equipment legal
or restrict all such equipment from bench use.

Someone else posted here a while back that the MIAA (the H.S. governing authority in Mass.) was planning a ban. It is not. I have an email from the MIAA which says iPads are legal for statistics only -- exactly as the rule allows.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 09:47pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The only thing I've heard is from our local IAABO board interpreter, who told us back in December that iPads, and other tablet computers, are not allowed on the bench. Period. All I know is that this is a local IAABO ruling.
Interesting. Our local IAABO interpreter said that they're legal, provided that they're used for statistical purposes, and not video. I haven't seen one yet, quite frankly.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Interesting. Our local IAABO interpreter said that they're legal, provided that they're used for statistical purposes, and not video. I haven't seen one yet, quite frankly.
IAABO has said that they're not to be used.

I don't think your local IAABO interp can over-interp Tom's ruling.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Two observations....

1) Regardless of whether they're allowed on the bench, several school that I've been to have notices on locker rooms that cell phones with cameras, ipads etc (or some combination of the above) are not allowed in said locker room. But like anything else I wonder how it well its enforced/paid attention to before, halftime of, and after games for those programs that use them on the bench during the game (or any other time for that matter).

2) Can you imagine explaining to wife/gf/so/boss/yourself why you need to replace a $499 ipad after it got slammed onto a chair when a $10 clipboard can do the same thing? Maybe its a good thing after all and make them think twice about throwing a tantrum.