The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

iPad on the bench

Had to deal wtih the iPad on the bench the other night at a varsity girls game. Assistant coach was holding it when we went over before the game to introduce ourselves.

Thanks to all the posts on this forum, I told the head coach it could not be used. She was not happy...and made quite clear that I was the only ref to ban it this season.

Other than the "informal" opinions I have seen posted here (from NFHS and from IAABO), is there specific, formal guidance on this issue?
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Verboten, Not Even To Play Minesweeper ...

Our local IAABO board interpreter recently told us that iPads, and other tablet computers, are not allowed on the bench. Period. All I know is that this is a local IAABO ruling. I don't know if it came from the state board , or from IAABO international? I just deleted his email, so I can't give you his exact ruling. I do know that there is a commercial on television, I guess, for iPads, that shows a basketball coach using his tablet computer to set up some plays for his players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 11:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Here's another entire discussion on the matter. Several differing opinions.

Some say stats only. As Billy says, check your local board.

IPAD on the Bench
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Had to deal wtih the iPad on the bench the other night at a varsity girls game. Assistant coach was holding it when we went over before the game to introduce ourselves.

Thanks to all the posts on this forum, I told the head coach it could not be used. She was not happy...and made quite clear that I was the only ref to ban it this season.

Other than the "informal" opinions I have seen posted here (from NFHS and from IAABO), is there specific, formal guidance on this issue?
Tom Lopes, executive director (or something like that) has issued an official ruling from IAABO.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 12:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We had an assistant coach using one the other day. He was keeping a book on it and had one of the courrt diagram apps, as well.

I think I said something like, "Cool. First horn."
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check Your Local Listings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Here's another entire discussion on the matter. Several differing opinions.
I organized some of these, from grunewar's link, for easy comparison:

Missouri:
The purpose of this email to clarify the use of iPads and other personal computers by coaches during basketball contests. NFHS Basketball Rule 10-1-3: Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players. The NFHS Office has issued the following statement: “The use of an iPad or computer is approved as long as they are just replacing a traditional paper alternative, they would meet the spirit and intent of the rule and be permitted. If they are being used to review video or some type of electronic communication, they are prohibited.” The penalty for violating rule 10-1-3 is a team technical foul. Please refer to the NFHS Basketball Case Book: 10.1.3A and 10.1.3B for examples. Applications are available for the ipad to be used like a marker board. This is acceptable as long as it is not used to review video or other forms of electronic communication.

Colorado:
All electronic devices are banned from the sideline/bench.

Ontario (IAABO):
IAABO Executive Director Tom Lopes has confirmed that the use of an "I-Pad is not permissible." This falls under rule 10, section 1, article 3 - "A team shall not use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission..."

NFHS:
10-2-3 definitely needs to be updated to keep up with technological advances, but a computer or iPad could be used for anything that paper could have done (stats, draw up plays, etc.). Basically, the only things they can’t be used for are electronic communication with players (speaking to them thru the device and a receiver) and video replay. Yes, it’s difficult for officials to “police” what the devices are being used for, but most officials and state offices assume teams/coaches are in compliance unless proven otherwise. If you want to have a state-wide prohibition against these devices, that would be up to you. But they are permitted, with a few restrictions, by rule.

NCAA-M:
iPads are prohibited from being on the bench, even if just used to keep stats. While the keeping of statistics on a computer or iPad may seem innocent enough and may not fall completely within the parameters of these restrictions, any exception to permit the keeping of statistics would be difficult if not impossible to enforce since the same equipment could be used to send and receive information.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Well the IHSA apparantly ruled on this issue. Here is the bulletin from our website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case Situations

Some observations and a response to a question that arose during the holidays.

1. Questions arose about the use of iPads by teams during games. Rule 10-3 is clear that if iPads or computers are being used for taking statistics, they can be used. This would include taking statistics using an iPad and then taking the iPad into the locker room at halftime. In this usage, the iPad is no different than a clipboard. However, iPads can't be used to take pictures or film sequences of play and used on the bench or in the locker room by coaches during a game. Rule 10-3 is clear against the use of computers/iPads in that manner. Officials might want to ask during the pre-game coaches/captains meeting whether a school uses such technology or not, and if one does, remind the head coach what Rule 10-3 allows.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Don't you love how the IHSA ruling says nothing about using the court apps to diagram plays! That would seem to be the most common usage and most important to have a clear decision upon.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't you love how the IHSA ruling says nothing about using the court apps to diagram plays! That would seem to be the most common usage and most important to have a clear decision upon.
Actually the very few times I have seen them used, I have never seen a court diagram used. I still see the dry-erase boards used all the time and pretty much exclusively. I have never seen an IPad used for anything but keeping some stats and is usually used by a person that is not technically a coach. And those times have only been once or twice I have ever seen them on the bench. Actually I have seen preachers use an IPad during a sermon that I have ever seen used in a sporting event.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:24am
Huck Finn

I sent an email about this and our state office received a reply from Mary Struckhoff. The following is her reply:

"10-2-3 definitely needs to be updated to keep up with technological advances, but a computer or iPad could be used for anything that paper could have done (stats, draw up plays, etc.). Basically, the only things they can’t be used for are electronic communication with players (speaking to them thru the device and a receiver) and video replay.

Yes, it’s difficult for officials to “police” what the devices are being used for, but most officials and state offices assume teams/coaches are in compliance unless proven otherwise. If you want to have a state-wide prohibition against these devices, that would be up to you. But they are permitted, with a few restrictions, by rule."
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 09:16am
Archaic Power Monger

When I checked the rules on this a few weeks ago, I did not find anything prohibiting taking video from the bench (as long as it is not reviewed during the game). Is this an interpretation or did I just miss the rule?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 09:42am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Basically, I took their interp to say if they aren't being used for statistics then they can't be used.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Basically, I took their interp to say if they aren't being used for statistics then they can't be used.
I took it to mean the same thing that Missouri has said: If they are doing something that you can do on a clipboard/dry erase board, they're okay. (Stats, diagram plays, etc)
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Contrary to previous reports that said an IAABO ruling had forbidden iPads, the IAABO position matches the Illinois ruling.

If they are being used for statistics, they are legal. If they are being used for video or as a whiteboard, they are not legal. That is the word from Peter Webb, who is the IAABO rules coordinator.

I had another game this week with an iPad on the bench. I noticed it during the national anthem and pointed it out to my partner, who was the R that night. He asked the coach if he was planning to use it during the game and the coach said, "Yes. But only for statistics." Then the coach told his assistant that it could only be used for stats.

I expect that the rule will be updated or a case play introduced next year to deal with iPads.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I-pads

Minnesota just notified officials that an ipad on the bench is legal under the following circumstances.

Use of iPads or similar devices: Although not specifically covered in the rule book, iPads are allowed on the bench and may be used during the game, but only in a manner in which does not create a distinct advantage over the opponent. iPads may be used to take statistics (same as clipboards or computers); may be used for live stat programs that are now available; and may be used ways that a clipboard would be used (to diagram plays for example). iPads or any other device may not be used from the bench to take pictures or video. You are asked to check with coaches prior to the game to see if iPads will be in use and if so to then outline how they may be used. Inappropriate use of an iPad or other electronic device is a Bench Technical, charged to the head coach. You should not spend any more time monitoring this issue than what you currently do to monitor the use of cell phones or other electronic devices on the bench.