The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:34pm
Ok is the new good

Assignments

Do you receive your entire schedule of assigments at the start of the season, except for add ons..etc?

or Do you get them only once a month at the start of the month?

Some guys in my area are peeved at Assignor for "Holding games back"

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta save the good games for the boys

We get our entire schedule prior to the season.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Do you receive your entire schedule of assigments at the start of the season, except for add ons..etc?

or Do you get them only once a month at the start of the month?

Some guys in my area are peeved at Assignor for "Holding games back"

Thanks!
Seems like every area is different. Here in SE Kansas, I get 90% of what one assignor has for me 8-9 months before season starts. My other assignor gives what he has for me a few weeks before season starts.

As you said, I get called to fill in a number of times during the season.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:42pm
This IS My Social Life

What's Done Around Here

Around here across the lake from Rut all our assignments are issued prior to the beginning of the year, and then added games and officials' drops come along whenever they occur. In one conference, select officials are issued to a date on which they can expect to work, but the assignor reserves the teams involved so as to be able to send the uber-qualified guys in on the conference deciding contests.
State tournament assignments are issued about three weeks or so prior to the dates.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

It's different for each of the different assignors I use. One of them is starting to schedule now for next year, most wait until a few months before season starts and one waits until the week before.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 01:55pm
Ok is the new good

[ one waits until the week before.[/QUOTE]

Thats the method that Peeves our guys...The assignor claims it creates double work for him to issue shcedules more than 4 weeks in advance beacuse of changes by the schools and changes by the officials assigned.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:02pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
. . . it creates double work for him to issue schedules more than 4 weeks in advance because of changes by the schools and changes by the officials assigned.
Changes by the schools aren't much of a problem here. What grinds our assignor's gizzard is when guys dump previously accepted games for a non-work or non-health related or non-good reason. If it becomes known you dumped a game in order to upgrade to another--that's pretty much grounds for getting the rest of your games taken away or none scheduled next year.
He's generally quite understanding, but if one tries to leave him out to dry . . .
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I already have 40+ varsity high school games scheduled for 2012-13.

Wisconsin is a strange, strange place.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

In our Association, our assignor has no problems with us upgrading to a higher level game if available. But we only do so when we find our own replacement. Around here, pretty easy to find someone to cover.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

One month at a time around here which is fine with me. I would hate having to close out dates more than a month in advance.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
My last Scholastic Assignor would give games out a week/maybe a few days ahead for us "lessor officials." Don't know what they do for the more senior guys, but they were probably treated better.

New Scholastic Assignor has given me games 30-60 games in advance which is very nice, when you're used to the other. Plus, it helps me plug rec games in when I can.

One of our Rec Assignors uses the "Self-Assign" feature in Arbiter and has all of his games for the entire season "assigned" literally an hr or so after posting them as available....... Good to be him!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:08pm
Back from the DL

It's typically a month or so here, notwithstanding any last-minute necessary changes (weather, etc.). Due to my work schedule, if I get two afternoon assignments in a week, I block the rest of the week.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:15pm
Huck Finn

We have crews here and crew chiefs assign games. I have sent out assignments up to mid January for my crew. That is acceptable in Southern Nevada. It is a blessing and a curse to assign my crew. There are officials I want to give a shot, but we are a deep crew. Nobody is guaranteed to always work boys varsity because there are too many officials on my crew that are capable - even if we have two sites on a given night.

I am proud of the fact that Southern Nevada is a place that will not hold good officials back. If you can work and you move in from another area, you will work period. If you start out and you have "it" you will work the appropriate games period. After moving around during my Air Force career I view this differently than some places do. I HATE the sense of entitlement that some officials have. What is the difference between a not so good second year official and a not so good 12 year official? 10 years, 10 hard-headed years, and that is it. Sorry if I went on a tangent with my answer.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

We get our assignemts two weeks in advance they come out on Sundays - Christmas Day I received my assignments for the week of Jan 11th.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

All college conferences I have worked for assign all games in advance of the season as there is a hierarchy amongst assignors and officials. Officials should fairly be able to accept the highest level game offered. The exception is turnbacks, added games or injured officials. These games get reassigned as needed.

High School is different. I have seen smaller conferences assign in advance, but the largers associations, this just isn't possible with the amount of games assigned.